Unloading a crossbow without firing it.

• Please log in to reply

#1 Buck.Commander

Buck.Commander

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:57 PM

I was made aware of how to unload a Excalibur without having to fire it and thought I would give it a shot with my Barnett BuckCommander. Boy is it ever easy. I simply hooked the hooks onto the string like you would when cocking it, pulled the string so the left hand of the cocking rope was taught, realeased the safety mechanism, took the safety off, grabbed the other handle and pulled it taught, pulled the trigger and let it slowly down. Viola! Now I dont have to shoot it to unload it. This means all my arrows will be for hunting, and I wont have to use one for unloading. Me likey!!

BC

#2 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

Just be very careful BC

#3 CBhunter651

CBhunter651

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul Minnesota

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:37 AM

I would still purchase a Crossbow Release Bolt its way safer. I know its another item to remember and carry with but I would rather be safe and not chance slipping or letting go and possibly getting hurt or damaging my bow.

#4 buckmaster221

buckmaster221

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationSouthern Mid-Michigan

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

Just be very careful BC

x2

#5 hunter5567

hunter5567

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationWalker, LA.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

Sounds like you need 3 hands to do that. Pull back with both hands on the cocker and  find some way to release the trigger. I wouldn't chance it myself. One slip and possibly cracked limbs. Just keep a release arrow in your vehicle and shoot into the ground or bag target. You can make your own out of old clothes stuffed into a bag.

#6 Todd the archer

Todd the archer

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Pa.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:06 PM

I have done this many times with my recurve crossbows but not with a compound. But my point is the first time I heard about this technique I THOUGHT THIS IS CRAZY, but was told really it works and wow it is far easier than I imagined. But like I said never tried it with a compound crossbow, then again sounds like it works with them as well assuming you don't have an anti-dryfire device you have to bypass.

Todd

• See4miles and Buck.Commander like this

#7 Nick71

Nick71

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:43 PM

I don't see a big problem with the ADF device: you load an arrow and, than, you remove it before uncocking...

The ADF device is bypassed  :) .

#8 jewalker7842

jewalker7842

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's easier just to fire the thing into the ground with an old arrow.

#9 jareese

jareese

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSauk City, WI

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

discharge bag - K.I.S.S.

#10 swampy

swampy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationSplendora,Tx

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Guy's just go and buy some cheap small game broad heads and they will do the same thing.

#11 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

This method does work. Check it out on Excalibur's web sight. There is a video on how to un cock your crossbow.

#12 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

This method does work.

..and work well when you get the hang of it.

If someone is confident and competent of uncocking a crossbow by hand then whats the problem?

I uncock some of my bows by hand without the use of a rope cocker.... Flick off safety, take off string tension with hands, and release trigger with back of right thumb tip, let down bow.

• Ronaround likes this

#13 swampy

swampy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationSplendora,Tx

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

No problems! I'm very confident in my crossbows but, I'm not going to uncock a 175 lb. crossbow with just my bare hands! I might try it with a rope cocker.

Edited by swampy, 09 September 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#14 bobbyd1947

bobbyd1947

• Members
  • 5,349 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

This thread is getting scary. I suggest you all just follw the recommendations set by your bow manufacturer on how to uncock your bow.

#15 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:26 PM

The recurve guys include a decocker with their Bow and the warranty covers the Bow as both Kodabow and Excalibur recommennd it, however you can bet that the same warranty doesn't cover any injuries if the rope decocker breaks or slips and I've had cocking rope hooks break . For the sake of an old arrow or to take a specially bought decocking arrow you're going to try this, not a good idea. I agree this is getting scary. Cactus

#16 Buck.Commander

Buck.Commander

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

I dont not want to spend money on a arrow or a bag, just to unload my bow. I figure that if I am careful and paying attention to what I am doing, I should be just fine. I understand how other people feel more comfortable doing it there way. Most people do what feels safest to them. That is smart. Kudos to those who do. NOW, there are many ways to do things. This is just the method I choose.

#17 Nick71

Nick71

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

If an hook of the rope cocker/decocker can break, this can also happen while normally cocking the bow, with a dry-fire as a result... however, like Buck.Commander has written, to each his own preferred method to unload his crossbow.

#18 Cactus

Cactus

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

The Bow's manufacturer doesn't recommend it, I wonder why? Because it's not safe , hello wake up and smell the coffee it's burning. BTW a discharge target can be made for free. If it was safe the Bow's manufacturer would work it as another selling point just like Kodabow and Excalibur do. However, it's your Bow and your safety , do whatever. Cactus

#19 myayers

myayers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 927 posts
  • LocationS.W. Michigan

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

The recurve guys include a decocker with their Bow and the warranty covers the Bow as both Kodabow and Excalibur recommennd it, however you can bet that the same warranty doesn't cover any injuries if the rope decocker breaks or slips and I've had cocking rope hooks break . For the sake of an old arrow or to take a specially bought decocking arrow you're going to try this, not a good idea. I agree this is getting scary. Cactus

I have an Excalibur. They must have forgotten to give me my decocker because I don't have one.

This way of decocking a bow isn't for everyone. If you don't feel comfortable with it "DON'T DO IT". It's just an alternative to shooting an arrow into the ground at the end of a hunt and possibly alerting every animal within a 300 yard radius or having to wait until you get back to your vehicle to get out your portable target only to find a DNR officer waiting to give you a ticket for carrying a loaded crossbow after shooting hours.

#20 Croa60

Croa60

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

This is the worst idea I've ever seen on here. It will be a matter of time before a mechanical breakdown occurs on your bow or worse yet you hurt yourself doing this. There is a reason that this is to only be done on a recurve. Please anyone reading absolutely do not attempt it or you will end up with a broken now that Barnett will not cover or a missing eye.