View New Content Mark all as read |  

Crossbow Bolts(Arrows)

• Please log in to reply

#21 cingold

cingold

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

Well I guess no body else will ask, But Are you guys really serious about shooting Deer with a Crossbow out to 120 yards.
Been a bowhunter most of my life and have seen to many things that can go wrong beyond the shooters control on the longer shots.I also shoot a StrykeForce and can hit the target at long yardages and pretty accurately.
No offense but For me and most every bowhunter I know ,even some on this list who are great shots,would never think of taking a shot at that distance.
As for me personally,I really don't think that kind of shooting distance for game would be ethical,but for each his own.

I'd like to see some energy measurments on 100yd and beyond. Some kind of strike plate with real life figures. I will revise my opinion after seeing real data to consider KE hence increasing or shortening shooting distances.

#22 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Cingold A 100 yard shot at a Deer, I would think shooting a high fps Bow like the Strykeforce or one similar with a fairly heavy arrow KE would not be the problem.

#23 cingold

cingold

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

Did anyone ever had the change to shoot into a strike plate or similar setup? I would be interested in some comparison calculated/measured fpe over different distances. Curiousity only....

#24 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

Well I guess no body else will ask, But Are you guys really serious about shooting Deer with a Crossbow out to 120 yards.
Been a bowhunter most of my life and have seen to many things that can go wrong beyond the shooters control on the longer shots.I also shoot a StrykeForce and can hit the target at long yardages and pretty accurately.
No offense but For me and most every bowhunter I know ,even some on this list who are great shots,would never think of taking a shot at that distance.
As for me personally,I really don't think that kind of shooting distance for game would be ethical,but for each his own.

This is a very good question. A 120 yd shot with a 385'/sec launched bolt will be about 344'/sec at 100 yds according to the earlier mentioned formula. I would have thought more velocity loss than that. Energy would be 111'/lbs @ 100 yds. This is a LOT of energy! The time of flight would be appx 1 sec. A feeding deer, broadside to the hunter, looking away from the hunter would likely be stationary during the shot travel time. A bedded deer would likely be the same case. An ethical shot is one that the hunter has a high degree of certainty that he can make a quick, lethal kill. The ability of the shooter(lots of good home work - shooting) and the situation present(wind, distance, state of the deer, rest available for shooting, good range measurement,etc) all present factors to determine ethical maximum range for each situation.
The problem I see is that while great groups can be obtained at these extreme ranges, the trajectory is so extreme(10 yds - 90 to 100 yds has 26" of drop difference with 425g bolt launching @ 385'/sec) that range would have to be measured to the yard or almost, the shot would have to be perfect, and the animal must not move. All that said, if a hunter routinely shoots from 10 yds out to 100+ yds, and practices in field conditions and literally shoots enough to be really proficient, his effective range will be greater than the hunter who relegates his bow or x-bow as a 30 yd max or 40 yd max weapon. 100 yd deer shooting even with great , consistent groups at that range is not likely. If I ever did it, I doubt I would ever mention it:).

#25 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,384 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

Good answer Sew.
You had me wondering by your above statements in earlier post,with Wanting to really long range hunt and that hoping for 120 with the S/F

#26 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

Good answer Sew.
You had me wondering by your above statements in earlier post,with Wanting to really long range hunt and that hoping for 120 with the S/F

You made a logical deduction since it appears that that was what I was advocating. I need to be more careful with how I compose my posts, seriously. I do feel there is advantage to practicing out to extreme ranges as the shorter ranges, read that practical ranges, will be easier, and seem like a piece of cake.

#27 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 02:37 PM

Agreed :-)

We have to be careful in discussing extended range crossbow hunting shots. My personal limits are just that................personal:) Can I hit a deer target in the kill zone every shot at 80 yards?? Absolutely! but shooting at a live deer at 80 yards with an arrow, even an arrow travleing at over 300 fps, can be quite risky. You make your decisions and live with the results.

#28 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

The upper picture is of the tgt with the 3 Red Hot arrows/145g points shot @ 90 yds and the 3 Woolverine/145g points also shot @ 90 yards. The Red Hots were certainly the more accurate. In time, I will have some of the arrows recommended by Moon to compare. Incidentally, the FOC of the Red Hots/145g points was 16.5%(125g 14.8%, and 100g 13.0%.). Red Hots/100g points were 425g, w125g were 450, and w145g 470g.

The lower tgt shows how far 70 yards looks in my front yard. The actual tgt was shot off my pond levy. I believe the groups would have been a little tighter if the mosquitoes weren't bothering me, the sun wasn't in my eyes, and the light variable wind had not been present.

While the Red Hots certainly aren't as cost effective, not likely as accurate as the arrows Moon makes/recommends, they do pretty well.
More testing and reporting in the future. For an "off the shelf" arrow, the Red Hot is pretty good.

#29 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:14 AM

but they will likely impact differently. I do all my accuracy tests using a hunting position (sitting) with my left elbow on my side or thigh. That gives me a group size that I can depend on in actual hunting conditions. I'm going to get my hands on some of those Fusion vanes. They are interesting.

#30 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:06 PM

Here is a group i shot look at the top left arrow all most a hood.
The dot is 1" You can do this all day long. Im going to get thrown under the bus for this but.You must stabilize the the arrow. Because of the rail and your cock vain riding down the grove. You just cant put the amount of twist that you need on the vain. The 4" quikspin will spin your arrow and allow you to use straight fletch. Also it has a low profile and doesnt rub the inter rail. I shot this group at 70yds in a bag target all the rest i had as the rail of my porch. I can and have done the same thing with broadheads (G5 Tekans and Gators).
Posted Image

#31 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:31 PM

I can put tons of offset on the short 2" vanes. QS's are good but I think they are a PITA fletching with that "blob" on the rear of the vanes:D

We can all agree that modern day crossbows are very accurate, especially off a bench type rest or rail and using a higher powered rifle scope.

I catch myself smiling when folks say "this crossbow is very accurate" IMHO, virtually all of them are.

#32 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

See im rolling out from under the bus LOL you can set your clock buy it.

#33 SEW

SEW

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Here is a group i shot look at the top left arrow all most a hood.
The dot is 1" You can do this all day long. Im going to get thrown under the bus for this but.You must stabilize the the arrow. Because of the rail and your cock vain riding down the grove. You just cant put the amount of twist that you need on the vain. The 4" quikspin will spin your arrow and allow you to use straight fletch. Also it has a low profile and doesnt rub the inter rail. I shot this group at 70yds in a bag target all the rest i had as the rail of my porch. I can and have done the same thing with broadheads (G5 Tekans and Gators).
Posted Image

WOW! The Quickspin does lend itself to the fletching limitations of inter-rail designed x-bows. I did not shoot that tight of a group with my 70 yard shooting. This group with a SF? Arrows used?

#34 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

"See im rolling out from under the bus LOL you can set your clock buy it".

Nice group rt:D:D

#35 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Moon:D Yes a SF and Easton Power Bolts With Brass inserts 100gr tips and Alum Moons. That puts the arrow right at 508gr.This bow really likes this combo.
You might talk me in to trying a different broadhead But im staying with these arrows and vains. Every time i tell my wife that she shakes her head and just walks off.:) I all most forgot it you want to try them be sure you get the new ST The old ones have a black kicker I did not care for them they wont hold up.

Edited by rt2bowhunter, 31 May 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#36 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

4" in orange (old type). I have too many blazer vanes to use up to start switching now:p As you know, I love my blazer vanes.

What did you say your speed is with the the 508 grain arrow?

#37 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

I dont blame you I had shot trad bows and just had a few of this and that left over(vanes) So i had to start over buying vanes.Im pretty sure it was 355 but the chronograph Is old its the one uncle Bob used when he was building the Zipper recurves. So it may not be dead on.

#38 Iron Duke

Iron Duke

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

I bought a dozen GT Laser II's from Danny Miller partly on previous GT advice, partly HIS advice and partly the testimonials from people here on the forum. Got the same disappointing results "out of my particular bow" as the ones that came with my Strykeforce. Now, my mind is trying hard to start to condemn crossbows as inherently inaccurate; but I don't let the thought take root. After "interrogating" Dave for 45 minutes (again) and reading a few posts from guys recommending Eastons ... I asked David @ Wyvern to make me up a dozen Easton's/Blazers/brass inserts/ALUMINUM nocks.

I'm VERY happy to report that they shoot superbly. (Look great too) Errant practice shots are clearly my fault now.(funny how you can tell) LOL And they're measure in small fractions of inches. (@18yds) I'm not crazy that they weigh 512gr compared to the speedy 450gr "other brand" ... but I'll trade the speed for repeatable accuracy at this juncture. I tried to chronograph them all but the fluorescent lights in my Shop must not be triggering the chronograph ... have to wait till I can move outside. It's nice to know I could go into the woods tomorrow and have confidence in my equipment ... like getting a "monkey off my back." I'll try to work back from these to gain some speed back. Greed slips back in now that we have reached a goal!