trouble with 4x32 scope on new recruit

• Please log in to reply

#1 northern69

northern69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationct

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

ok to start i bought the new recruit from dicks sporting goods that may have been the mistake.

i got the bow home had it for 5 days took 50 to 60 shots out of it and every day i would have to resight it in so on the 6th day i shot it and it was far right again so i start re sighting in have the bow cocked back and the top left limb snaps at the base of the head, and i call the company asap tell them what is happening and while on the phone with then the lower snaps. now i never dry fired the bow or dropped it or abused it at all.i am shooting a 425 grain arrow so its not a light arrow. the company said they have never had this happen and make good on there name and send me a whole new head 2nd day air.

so i got the new head today late in the day and it looks alot better quality then what came from dicks. diff string, cams ect. well i sighted the bow in for 20 yards due to loss of sun rise. i swear bow shoots quieter smoother and faster but i am having trouble with the scope. i have the left to right adjustment burried all the way to the left.and it could use 6 to 10 more clicks to the left. i just dont get it, and trust me every thing is tight and straight i have more than enough time with sighting in rifles bows and other stuff. 

now when the limbs broke the company told me the erratic resighting was caused by the ever changing weakness and failing limb. 

i am thinking the sight is deffective as well i.e maybe some one dropped the bow in the store anr damaged during shipping and i just so happen to have the bad luck of getting the bad one. INPUT PLEASE

#2 locotest

locotest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • LocationNW PA

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

crossbow shooting tag.jpg

#3 Redpaw_TheArcher

Redpaw_TheArcher

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

Hello Northern69,
Here's some steps to do:

Reset scope to zero. If the scope is all the way left, then count the turns to all the way right, divide by 2 and move it that number back to the left. For example:

If you turn the scope 20 clicks to the right, then a zero would be half that number to the left in clicks. Do the same for elevation.

Next,
When you mount the scope, hold the scope perfectly to the center of the rail. Count the turns of the screws as it tightens. If 6 complete turns are needed, then do the same for the rear as well. You have to maintain a perfect center line when mounting the scope to rail. It's easy to have a poorly mounted scope.

When scope is mounted, and it's still on zero, take a shot at a 3" target bullseye. Take 3 shots total. Find the common denominator of all three shots total. If the average is two clicks left then start with that. Keep taking shots of 3. Keep track of your left right wind age, and wait to do elevation later.

Once you have left right as close as it gets. Do the same for elevation.

The problem I have is with cross scopes, are they set for 20 yard zero?, says who?....try for 30 yard zero if 20 can't be done. What I have found is that as soon as you step away from a carbon arrow and 100gr. Fieldpoints... Then the scope just won't ever match to anything on the reticles again. You would think a 400gr. arrow on the reticles would be 20,30, 40 and so on.... Not so.

Change one arrow to aluminum, or change just the weight of the Fieldpoints and the scope is now obsolete. It will never line up with anything again consistently. I went with Nikon XR bolt with zero reset turrets and it's not perfect either, but I can shoot to 100 yds and hit 3" groups with it.

Just my opinion. Mileage may vary.
  • DocR likes this

#4 mshm

mshm

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Locationwest central Illinois

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'll take a stab at this. Scopes can be infuriating at times. First ,are you cocking this by bare handed? If so use the device that came with the bow.

OK now the scope. Do you have or know somebody that has a laser bore sighter? You can lay the fat end on the track and hold it place with a rubber band.

Center your reticle.  Count the clicks from stop to stop ,on the  L/R plane and divide by two.  set it there.  At twenty five yards aim at a grid, with the laser on, you will be able to see what a changes when you add or subtract clicks to the centered reticle. Pay attention and be methodical.  Keep notes ,clicks should bring you back to the same points forward or backward. A true test is if the scope settings are repeatable. Leupold  runs a 4 corner  test where they run the adjustment  to the 4 corners of a square , and needs to come back to the starting point to be good. 

I used a laser to sight my Xbow  and you should be able to get it dam close. Windage  should be dead on.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#5 240m3srt

240m3srt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

Heres a simple step.  DITCH THAT SCOPE.  Buy an Excalibur scope.

• HDMann292 likes this

#6 HDMann292

HDMann292

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee ,Wi.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

thats what I use on ALL my Barnetts is the Excalibur scopes.Just cant go wrong on them!!!

#7 bparent

bparent

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

The Barnett scopes are horrible.....the only part of my purchase that was dissapointing.  Check out eh Excalibur Twilight DX, possibly the best Xbow scope on the market.

• HDMann292 likes this

#8 john hartsoe

john hartsoe

• Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Northern69, It is a well known fact that cheaper scopes have a problem of holding zero, and usually that's what you get when you buy a package deal. I was in the same boat last yr, made a change this yr and bought me a speed dial scope of better quality, and have not had one problem hitting nice groups, and it holding zero. Might be something to look at before you pull your hair out , or miss that deer , cause the scope is not up to snuff !!!! Welcome to CBN !!! Happy Trails !!! I probably would not put much effort in that scope myself, if you can afford an upgrade. There is a lot of information running around this forum about scopes that can give you some insight on what upgrade to make !!!!!

Edited by john hartsoe, 26 September 2013 - 12:07 PM.

#9 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I had a issue once with a crossbow scope. It just so happened that the inner glass was loose. One moment I'm right on, next it looked like a 30 mph wind gust caught the arrow.
After glueing the inner glass in place I've had no other problems. That was on a red dot scope.
Another issue could be your limb assembly bolt is not tight, which will also place your arrows all over the target.
Hope you get it all figured out before hunting season.
TruGlo makes an awesome crossbow scope. Illuminated red/green crosshairs, has 4 crosshairs, adjustable brightness. I love the truglo scope. I bought one for my ghost 400. If anything fails with the scopes on my other crossbows, they will be replaced by a truglo.

#10 cmil84

cmil84

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

I would reccomend a Nikon but mine seems to be having issues.  Good at 20 and 33 but after that it is all over

#11 northern69

northern69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationct

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Ok so today i went to a very reputable archery shop . and the helped me out . i picked up a hawk 3x scope. and while playing with it at the shop we discovered the the mount that connects to the stock dose not secure what so ever and when we do get it tight enough after 10 shots it starts to drift to the left and to the right . i called the company and they are now sending me a new stock I.E the entire back of the bow. when i called the person who was helping me took a walk to the production floor and checked the scope mount and said the one in her hand has no play so im hoping for the best but as far as im concerned im selling the barnett in december and im going to by a carbon express or a mission.

#12 northern69

northern69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationct

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

oh btw i am completely disgusted with the quality of the barnett so far i know i bought cheap but i think i could have been better off going to toy works

#13 240m3srt

240m3srt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Hawks never held their zero for me, i give it 30-50 shots before you notice it.  Let us know how it works for you though, and good luck.

#14 northern69

northern69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationct

Posted 27 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

ok so im done with barnett. i went to dicks today and made a huge stink i got them to take the barnett back. i was not satisfied with replacing the major parts on the bow and hoping the problem went away. so i bought a wicked ridge.

#15 Arrow_Slinger

Arrow_Slinger

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

Happy barnett owner here sorry about your luck.
  • HDMann292 likes this

#16 swampy

swampy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 656 posts
  • LocationSplendora,Tx

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Well guy's I own several Barnetts and wouldn't think of buying anything else! Sorry for your troubles!

• HDMann292 and Redpaw_TheArcher like this

#17 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Own three Barnetts and I wouldn't trade em for any other brand. Sometimes you get a bad part in a crossbow. And the same goes with anything. I know Chevy lovers that had malfunctions in days/week old trucks... They got the truck replaced or repaired. Same goes with Ford and all other manufactures of anything.
What sets "die hards" apart is that they got tired of being drifters... going from one make to another trying to find perfection. Not gonna happen. So "die hards" stick with a product made by a company they trust and a company that treats the customer right and makes a reliable product. I found that trust with Barnett. For other reasons others may like another company. We all have our own valid reasons. I'm thankful for Barnett... a company that caters to shooters, hunters, and treats us as family.
  • HDMann292, 240m3srt and Redpaw_TheArcher like this

#18 Ishi7

Ishi7

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Uh oh!Did you say Wicked Ridge? This was posted on their section:

I got back from the woods today and looked at my limbs and one is splintered this is the 4th set of limbs and I got the bow last bow season. Ten Point admitted they have a problem with them.  I called them today and told them I don't want this bow can't keep doing this talked to a supervisor and they are going to upgrade me to a Ten Point Titan Extreme for $80.00. - See more at: http://www.crossbown...h.NDehhvAZ.dpuf

#19 northern69

northern69

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Locationct

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:58 PM

all i know is i have shot the wicked ridge over 150 times and i have not had a single problem and 60 yards is grouping at 2''

i know the barnett broke after 30 shots while i had it cocked and holding it and then found out the scope mount is a horrible design 

i also found out barnett was / still is covering some limbs in rubber so you dont see the cracks and splinters. and the customer service never offered me a upgrade or offered to pay for shipping. i still love my compound bow more lol