Barnett Jackal?!?

• Please log in to reply

#1 Gabowman

Gabowman

• Members
  • 2,200 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

My son is wanting to buy his wife a good but inexpensive xbow and I wanted to ask you experienced guys and girls what are your thoughts on the Jackal. My son's wife is a small petite girl about 90#'s soaking wet and probably just a tad over 5' tall. Anyway, I was wondering if the scope rail is heavy duty enough to hold a scope or is it made from plastic? Also, is rail lube needed for this bow? Can the string be changed by my son instead of taking the bow into town looking for an archery shop with a bow press (especially since the nearest archery shop would be about 40 miles away)? Can the bow be uncocked instead of having to shoot it after each hunting trip?

Anything else you guys or girls can think of that would be benefictual would be some great infomation. We were talking about an Excal but the Jackal is much cheaper (more affordable for them) and about all I have ever read was positive remarks here on CBN.

Pros?????

Cons????

What say ye....................... :)

#2 LaTuFu

LaTuFu

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

Based on her size, she may like the Recruit. The stock is adjustable for smaller shooters.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4

#3 KScountrygal

KScountrygal

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationClearwater, Kansas

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

I own the Jackal and have no problem using it.  The Recruit is much smaller and is easier to cock, but the main reason I didn't buy it was because it's just too small for me.  I'd suggest taking her to a shop and letting her try them both out, then pick what fits her best. :)

#4 KScountrygal

KScountrygal

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationClearwater, Kansas

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

My son is wanting to buy his wife a good but inexpensive xbow and I wanted to ask you experienced guys and girls what are your thoughts on the Jackal. My son's wife is a small petite girl about 90#'s soaking wet and probably just a tad over 5' tall. Anyway, I was wondering if the scope rail is heavy duty enough to hold a scope or is it made from plastic? Also, is rail lube needed for this bow? Can the string be changed by my son instead of taking the bow into town looking for an archery shop with a bow press (especially since the nearest archery shop would be about 40 miles away)? Can the bow be uncocked instead of having to shoot it after each hunting trip?

Anything else you guys or girls can think of that would be benefictual would be some great infomation. We were talking about an Excal but the Jackal is much cheaper (more affordable for them) and about all I have ever read was positive remarks here on CBN.

Pros?????

Cons????

What say ye....................... :)

If you go with the Recruit recurve model, then he shouldn't need a bow press.  He will need one for the Jackal and the regular Recruit, though.  The Recruit comes with a rope cocking tool, but the Jackal doesn't.  Pretty sure the scope rail is plastic, and that rail lube is needed.  I'd get a cheap discharge bag and throw it in your vehicle, rather than risk breaking your xbow AND your fingers by trying to uncock it by hand.

I'm a bit wary of the Recruit, though, because it IS a new model and a new production run, so I'm sure that the bugs (if any) haven't had time to surface and be ironed out.  The Jackal is an older model, and has generally gotten consistently good reviews.

#5 Gabowman

Gabowman

• Members
  • 2,200 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

So does the Jackal have a plastic scope mounting rail? I'm with you on sticking with the tried and true instead of going with a new model that hasnt been proven. My son hopes to surprise her with the crossbow so shooting or handling it isnt an option. How often does the string wear and needs changing? Do the cables wear out much? I guess I'm asking how much maintenance is required with the Jackal?

#6 poindexter

poindexter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

GABOWMAN, I don't have a jackel but I do have two Barnett Crossbows.  The maintenance Is to lube the rail and the string and cables after ten or so shots.  The center serving on the string is the big wear point and if it is lubed well it should last for a couple hundered shots before it needs replacing.  As for the string I am on the fifth year on one of my cb's and on the third year on my other one.  I do not do a lot of target shooting so my maintenance and string life might not be the same as yours.  Your Son may want to look at the RC150 by Barnett.  I have one and it is an excellent entry level  crossbow.  Acadamey Outdoors sells them for $199 and it comes with scope, four arrows, quiver, and has an ajustable stock.  It weighs in at 6lbs so it is good for those light of frame. I took three deer the first season with mine, got hooked and bought the more expensive Buck Commander which is my front line hunting machine.....Poindexter

#7 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

Hello Gabowman,
Among my crossbows is a trusted and reliable Barnett Jackal. I've killed three deer with it and my 10 yr old daughter has killed 4 deer with it. With this post are some pictures of her with jackal kills. Couldn't add the other two pictures of her cause it said the file was too big.
To answer your question from an experienced Jackal owner. Yes the scope rail is made of metal. The string should be changed at a bow shop, unless you own a bow press or can make one. I could be wrong, but I believe all compounds need a press. Yes it needs rail lube. I use a rail lube called scorpion venom on all my crossbows... it's the best I've ever used. It shoots 315 feet per second and uses 20 inch arrows. It has anti-dri fire and a smooth pulling trigger. The limbs and stock are camo. The string wear is minimal. I'm on my second serving string cause I shoot alot. On my current serving I have over 150 shots, yet the string looks like new... that's cause of the awesome rail lube (scorpion venom) I use. This crossbow is accurate with both mechanical and fixed blade broadheads. With the speed of 315 fps it allows a wide range of broadheads that can be used with superb accuracy. Many of the super fast crossbows need to shoot strictly mechanical cause accuracy is lost when using fixed blade heads at over 350 fps.
The Jackal is lil on the loud side, but then again I've never heard a quiet crossbow. Still at the speed of 315 fps no deer even flinched at the sound of the crossbow before the arrow was through it. The accuracy of the Jackal is top notch. I can steadily hit pop bottle cap sized bullseyes all day at 45 yards, so can my 10 (now 11) year old.
I do cock the crossbow back for my 10 yr old cause the draw weight is either 130 or 150 pounds. However with the rope cocker it's a synch.
I love my jackal. It's a great crossbow that's very well made by a great company that shows pride in their work. You honestly can't go wrong with a jackal. I'm 39, my daughter at 10 killed 4 deer with it... that has diversity written all over it.
I hope this info helped you out. Good luck in your choice.100_1450.JPG 100_1451.JPG
  • HDMann292 likes this