why a scorpyd crossbow,

• Please log in to reply

#1 rhannah

rhannah

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Locationrockmart GA

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

im about to buy a new crossbow.was thinking about a scorpyd bow,now the talk about limb problems is pushing me away,and question how well do the string and cabels hold up.i like to know i want make the same mistake twice as i did with the bowtech 380,sorry they fixed the bow every time but dident help when i was not hunting due to anouther broke bow,so my choice was i bought a horton...it broke sent it to be fixed and never got my head back,out of buisness just my luck,ten point said i would have to pay to get my broken parts back,,,so now i have a tried and true xcal,but i want anouther so anyone can see im kinda scared of a cam style bow,hope some really good news will bring me back to scorpyd bows,Now IM looking at the matrix 380 but i already have a xcal,anything really good to say...ANYONE THAT WORKS FOR SCORPYD CROSSBOWS NOWS THE TIME I NEED TO HERE FROM YOU, why buy a scorpyd,thanks to any and all help,

#2 pat57

pat57

• Members
  • 348 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

I don't own one but I think it was only one model scoepyd unless I misunderstand what i'v read and im sure there are a few guys on here that are shooting them that can help you . But based on what I read If I got one I would get the one that shoots in the 340 fps. range but I like 320 to 350 fps. range it just what I like not what I think any one other than me should like.

#3 kevintac15

kevintac15

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:25 PM

Hello, Rhannah:
I, too, was concerned, but dug, read postings here and spoke or p mailed some informed good guys. I found that the Scorpyd limb issues are not something that should deter you!

Read other postings by Xbow755 and Mainstreet Crossbows. They are convincing.

I'm getting ready to buy a Vent 150 + 125 extra limbs.

Respectfully,
Kevin

#4 pigfoot63

pigfoot63

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationGainesville, GA.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:44 PM

From one Ga. boy to another, I own a Scorpyd Ventilator. By far it is the best I have ever shot but after around six hundred shots my left limb cracked and the right limb also showed signs of a crack. I called Rex and sent him some pictures and he told me to send it in. Rex called me back after he received my bow and asked me who had changed the string. the answer was I did . Long story short Scorpyd replaced the limbs at cost. I don't think I cracked the limbs but I did change the string. Afterwards I see a bunch of folks with cracked limbs getting their limbs replace at no cost. Makes me wonder about being honest but I would not have it any other way. I am very happy with my Ventilator and am looking forward to purchasing another with 100 pound limbs. Am I pleased with the management of Scorpyd, no it is clear to me they got a bunch of bad limbs and some honest folks paid the price.

• rhannah and Openseason like this

#5 Mainstreet Crossbows

Mainstreet Crossbows

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • LocationWest KY.

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:40 AM

They are the best on the market and the lower poundage limbs are the way to go. Much quieter. Easy to cock and a joy to shoot.

• Cactus likes this

#6 skorpyd

skorpyd

• Members
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

rhannah, it sounds like you have had your share of trouble with crossbows and it does suck.   For trouble free simplicity your leaf spring recurve crossbows are hard to beat.   When you make the step to a compound crossbow it will increase chances for trouble.

Now comes along Scorpyd and the compound  crossbow world is turned inside out.   The original Reverse Draw Technology 125 which I purchased sight unseen in 2009 was and still is a great crossbow.  I have never had a bit of trouble with it, and I loaned it to a friend whom has taken a couple nice bucks with it.  The increased speed and efficiency that you get with the longer power stroke of the reverse draw is awesome.  Scorpyd went with the need for speed crowd with the 150lb draw Ventilator and the 165lb draw velocity models and has had a few hiccups that Scorpyd has taken care of admirably.  Both are awesome bows by the way but when you are out at the leading edge of technology you also are putting yourself at risk of potential learning curve problems.

Now as an owner of 3 Scorpyds, original RDT 125,  Ventilator 150, recently converted to Ventilator 100 by Mainstreet Crossbows, and a 165 Velocity I would have to say that after after 5 years of owning them I am still in love.  Problems, I have had a couple, but I went in with the mindset that something new and revolutionary could have some, along the way.

That said I think the platform has proven itself and if I were to recommend a crossbow that would compete with most anything out there and be practically bulletproof as far as reliability I would go with a Scorpyd Ventilator 100 or 125.   From there it depends on if you felt that you wanted a bit more speed or a bit more string and cable life and reliability.

You may not hear from an actual Scorpyd rep as they post rarely and have to be careful about what they say as everything is dissected, analyzed and critiqued from top to bottom.

If you decide that you would like to be one of the Few and Proud Scorpyd owners or have more questions call George at Mainstreet Crossbows.   

• rhannah likes this

#7 bigship

bigship

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

Agreed,

I have two Velocity 165s. I'm going to have George at Mainstreet Crossbows change the limbs on one bow with 125 lb replacements. Both of my bows have a hairline crack in one limb, but I marked them in June and they never propagated. Both bows shoot well and the hairlines appear to be surface only. In fact, I'm going to keep the replacement limbs in case I ever want to go back. The only problem that would keep you from hunting is the dropped jaw trigger issue which was fixed several months ago. Both of my bows have the new trigger and I couldn't be happier.

The Ventilator 100 seems to the hot ticket now, and no doubt that it shoots in the sweet spot for arrow and broadhead compatibility. You will love the Scorpyd. I sold both my TenPoint Turbo XLT and the Carbon Elite to own the Scorpyds. TenPoint makes a great x-bow but the RDT is a joy to shoot, and Scorpyds fit and finish is second to none.

• rhannah likes this

#8 TatSoul

TatSoul

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFt Walton Beach,FL

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

I have a vent 150 and would not have anything else.Accurate as hell out to 50 yards as far as im gonna shoot an animal.Has never lost zero and its very light and easy to get around with.I personally dont need anything else.I killed 5 deer total with it this year.Not one deer lost.All deer recovered within 30 yards.The one in my avatar went thru the shoulder bone and still exited out.I love mine and seriously doubt i will ever part with it.I done cleaned it up and put away till next year.I wish a scope company would come up with better glass for the crossbow industry but deer still drop either way

• rhannah likes this

#9 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:21 PM

They are the most efficient way of propelling arrows accurately and enjoyably.   

• rhannah likes this

#10 lovetohunt

lovetohunt

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'm not a Scorpyd owner, but thought I'd chime in.
If you held the Scorpyd or shot it and found it comfortable then get it. Sure I've also heard about their limb issues, but I've also heard about limb issues from every other manufacture. No manufacture can escape the fact that their not perfect, and unfortunately some of those imperfections get packaged and bought. Thank goodness for warranties.
The odds of you getting a imperfect crossbow is very low. The odds of you getting a imperfect crossbow replaced or repaired is probley 100%. So you basically can buy one "risk free".
Hope this helps.
Happy Hunting

Edited by lovetohunt, 25 November 2013 - 10:29 PM.

• xbow755, rhannah and GQ- like this

#11 xbow755

xbow755

• Members
  • 2,379 posts
  • LocationNew York State

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:53 AM

Well made points lovetohunt! 

Xbow755

• rhannah and lovetohunt like this

#12 Swamp

Swamp

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

My friends and I ordered Scorpyd crossbows a couple years ago. A total of five in all. Out of the five, four blew up. The last one this year on a hunt in Illinois that left my friend hanging. I'll never own another one, period.

• rhannah likes this

#13 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,040 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:03 AM

My friends and I ordered Scorpyd crossbows a couple years ago. A total of five in all. Out of the five, four blew up. The last one this year on a hunt in Illinois that left my friend hanging. I'll never own another one, period.

What models did you have?

#14 240m3srt

240m3srt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 761 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

Thanks for sharing this info with us.  Which specific part "blew up"?  What were Jim and Rex's reaction when you told them?  Got any pics of the damage?

#15 crappie-tom

crappie-tom

• Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

Well these are the only 2 posts you made that are in the CN archives:  Is it 6 Scorpyds in total because the 125 you sold and didn't mention it blew up?   There has been "1"  Scorpyd mentioned without photos on here since 2010 that came apart by a guy named Ginnad I believe.  Now your saying 4 of them just blew up.   That's entirely possible and, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.  If you don't put a arrow in rdt165's and pull the trigger your going to break the string.  Is that what you meant by "blew up"? Now it's your turn to document your claim and explain.

Swamp: Started out with a Scorpyd 165 and it blew up after only a half dozen shots. Then went with Scorpyd 125 and sold it.

#16 Yelpy

Yelpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

So 5 for 5? That is very hard for me to believe.

#17 kochie

kochie

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • Locationramsey , mn

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:57 AM

yes there are somethings i would like them to change but to me they are still the best out there. love my vent

#18 HOGSHOOTER62

HOGSHOOTER62

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Keep hearing reports like this have nothing but good things to say about my 165 that's approaching around 400 shot mark

• rhannah likes this

#19 kochie

kochie

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • Locationramsey , mn

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

whats nice is you can change limbs for around $200 and have a 100 125 or 150 but for now i will stick with the 150 limbs on my vent i don't think its over kill myself 

#20 TatSoul

TatSoul

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • LocationFt Walton Beach,FL

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

Im calling BS on this.What company do you work for?Post pics or It didnt happen and there is no way someone would blow up 4 scorpyds and not take pics.

Edited by TatSoul, 30 November 2013 - 06:41 PM.

• rhannah likes this