View New Content Mark all as read |  

Jaguar Crossbows?

• Please log in to reply

#1 Xi Bowhunter

Xi Bowhunter

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

Has anybody ever used a Jaguar crossbow? I am looking at getting my feet wet in crossbow hunting this year, and I don't want to spend a load of money just to see if I will like it or not.

Here is the link:

http://www.sportsman...t.aspx?a=508885

It got pretty good reviews. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on this crossbow?

#2 awshucks

awshucks

• Members
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

No experience other than you get what you pay for. Opinion, if this was a car it would be a Yugo.

My 1st xbow was an 80# Whammo. It was a pos but cheap. Best advice, if $ is that tight look for a used Horton or Bnett.

As far as reviews go, I frequent a slew of xbow forums and have yet to read more than a few posts on this bow, none stellar. Good Luck!

#3 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,369 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

Agree, what awshucks says about you get what you pay for is true.
And some times you get more than you bargain for ,in the way of inferior quality and poor to no customer service WHEN you need repairs.
Do your self a favor,if you are at all interested in pursuing Crossbows as a hunting tool or as a hobby,spend the extra money for a quality product.If you decide ,it is not for you.
You can usually sell it and recover most of your investment.

#4 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:56 PM

It got pretty good reviews. Does anybody have any experience or opinions on this crossbow?

A consumer needs to be careful about putting too much faith in reviews whether it is electronics, crossbows, or cars. It is unfortunate but true that companies pay people per review to post positive remarks on products they have never even used. Most of those reviews are very vague, like "it shoots great", or "very accurate", or "worth the money". Look for reviews that go into a bit more detail. Usually reviews on 3rd party sites or forums like this are more truthful and are posted by people that have handled the equipment. I have no personal experience with this particular model crossbow, so I cannot comment on it's quality. After you have shot it for a couple months, please post your findings here so that someone else down the road may benefit from your experience. Good Luck!!!:ack2:

#5 edmcclaskey

edmcclaskey

Banned

• Banned
  • 403 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

The best 200 dollar crossbow is the Horton Tacoma...There has been tons of deer taken with Horton 150LB crossbows, There has probably been more Deer killed with Horton 150 pound crossbows,Then all others combined in the last 15 years..I know my hunting buddies in Ohio have in the past and still to this day hunt with Horton Yukons, Explorers ,and Tacomas,
All 150 pound crossbows by Horton..Plenty of power to kill deer..And easy to cock,,

Attached Images

• Trac---150_0.jpg
  • Trac---150_0.jpg

Edited by edmcclaskey, 01 July 2009 - 01:39 PM.

#6 whiskerbiskit

whiskerbiskit

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:27 AM

Has anybody ever used a Jaguar crossbow? I am looking at getting my feet wet in crossbow hunting this year, and I don't want to spend a load of money just to see if I will like it or not.

Here is the link:

I will tell you this about the Jaguar crossbow, it cheap but for the money its a good deal, it was 150.00 plus tax. i ordered it from sportsman guide. Ive had mine for about six month and its great, easy to put togather. Its very accurate and the first four arrows for it I damaged them from shooting, meaning it's very accurate when shooting because ive shot them so close togather that they punctured in each other. Now I dont mean i robin hood it by sticking one behind the other but it was pretty dang close. The only problem ive had was the 3dot scope it comes with, I have to get another one because ive shot it so much it just cant handle the crossbow I guess. Also the arrows for it are aluminum 16" thats what they shoot. You can get em at academy for less than $3 but if you want carbon arrows ive yet to find em anywhere. I hope that you find this info helpful and if you buy one your not dissapointed and I dont get a nasty reply from this post. Take care bro and god bless

#7 wwranchdog

wwranchdog

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

give one to my son a while back it is great for bucks you spend and shoots very true up grade scope and it a good bow for money just my ten cent.

#8 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

Here is the link:

My Jaguar "crossbow":
Posted Image

Very slow. Shoting 360 grain 16" bolts - speed only 220 fps (sellers claims 305-310 fps, hehehe :-)
Accurate only when I'm shoting max. 25 yards. Greater distances - terrible arrow drop. Each shot- other arrow drop. I bought this chinese "crossbow" only for cheap parts - trigger, stirrup, scope mount and stock for my own crossbow building. Now exist just in parts:-)
Never buy this "crossbow" for hunting!

Postscript:
Sportsman's Guide says too: "16" power stroke". And sells Jaguar "crossbow" with 16" bolts - so bolts are the same long like power stroke? Look at the photo above :-)
Really power stroke is only 10". Lies so blatant that it's ridiculous :-)

#9 elkstalkr

elkstalkr

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • LocationPapillion, NE

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:37 AM

Figured I would add to this as I just took my first archery deer with a Jaguar xbow. First the bad, I will agree it is SLOW, not anywhere near the advertised speed. The red-dot they give you is junk, I bought another scope and put on it, one with many more reticles as you will need them. I paid $60 for the scope. You cannot find 16" carbon arrows, so I found a guy on ebay that will custom cut them. Spent $40 on those. I found 35 yards to be my absolute maximum with this thing as it drops fast, but with the many reticle scope I bought I could do it. Also, the trigger is horrible.

The good part is I only have about $250 tied up in the whole works, arrows and all. Thats about as cheap as you are gonna do it, I believe. Furthermore if you limit your shots to 30 yards or less this bow will easily kill deer. This bow certainly is not a perfect fit for everyone, but I do not live in an xbow state and must drive to OK to hunt with it. SO, I will probably only hunt one weekend a year with it, so its a perfect fit for me. IF I was hunting a lot with a crossbow, I WOULD NOT reccommend this bow, unless you are really strapped for cash.

Here is my deer taken with the Jaguar. 30 yard shot, double lunger, pass thru. I was using 125 grain muzzys. She only went 100 yards and fell over dead.
Posted Image

#10 jumpdoggy

jumpdoggy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationEast Midlands England UK

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:51 AM

Here is the link:

http://www.bladesand...tock-1244-p.asp

These sell in England at a few dealers/rifle shops, under the Armex brand (same bow?) I had a look at one, made in China & similar quality to my Barnett Panzer
There is a Cheetah model too, compound limbs with a claimed 315fps speed.
I would sooner buy a USA or Canadian built bow & pay the extra, Horton, Excaliber & Darton bows are available from two or three retailers

#11 semperfi1970

semperfi1970

• Members
  • 435 posts
  • Locationwestern ny

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

There is a lot of truth to you get what you pay for. Would I spend $150 for one, heck no. The most I would pay for one is $75 brand new. You would be better served getting a good used bow in the $200 range or a brand new Barnett Jackle with scope, arrows and quiver not to mention a warrenty and be shooting over 300 fps.

As for those who say the Chinese Barnett wildcat knockoffs are not accurate or lack range check this out. Last winter I shot mine 100 yards indoors and the one flier I know was me not the bow.

Attached Images

• 15.jpg

#12 Kiwininja

Kiwininja

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMatamata, Waikato, New Zealand

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:20 PM

Figured I would add to this as I just took my first archery deer with a Jaguar xbow. First the bad, I will agree it is SLOW, not anywhere near the advertised speed. The red-dot they give you is junk, I bought another scope and put on it, one with many more reticles as you will need them. I paid $60 for the scope. You cannot find 16" carbon arrows, so I found a guy on ebay that will custom cut them. Spent $40 on those. I found 35 yards to be my absolute maximum with this thing as it drops fast, but with the many reticle scope I bought I could do it. Also, the trigger is horrible.

The good part is I only have about $250 tied up in the whole works, arrows and all. Thats about as cheap as you are gonna do it, I believe. Furthermore if you limit your shots to 30 yards or less this bow will easily kill deer. This bow certainly is not a perfect fit for everyone, but I do not live in an xbow state and must drive to OK to hunt with it. SO, I will probably only hunt one weekend a year with it, so its a perfect fit for me. IF I was hunting a lot with a crossbow, I WOULD NOT reccommend this bow, unless you are really strapped for cash.

Here is my deer taken with the Jaguar. 30 yard shot, double lunger, pass thru. I was using 125 grain muzzys. She only went 100 yards and fell over dead.
Posted Image

#13 Kiwininja

Kiwininja

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hey champ ...here in New Zealand they advertise these xbows 175lbs @ 245fps ...I have read in another forum a guy chrono'd his @ 230fps ..I have slightly modified mine to get an extra 5fps so I can add 25grains more so my KE with a 425 grain bolt (Beman lightning bolt) is higher 52.13 ft-lbs. I have also read that you will need in between 21 - 65 ft-lbs to kill deer even up to elk size ...but in saying that you would want to be taken elk no further than 20yrds out. I am new to the hunting game and have just purchased a martin TR1 2010 compound bow but am just as determined to nail a deer with my jaguar like you have ...nice pic and keep up the excellent work boss ..")

#14 Boltman

Boltman

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

I use a Jaguar (aka Perfectline or Armex) crossbow, for reasons I mentioned at one of my posts in the 'gear' category. I have taken a fox with mine at 20 yards. It is capable of good accuracy, and fox are small targets. It is fun to shoot. As for 16" carbon bolts, there is an archery shop in Adelaide that sells them. Look for Archery Mart Australia on Google. You won't find crossbows on their webpage for legal reasons, but they do sell the stuff and accessories to go. Click on the email link and tell James, the proprietor what you need. He may be able to help. Another option is Archery Academy (Adelaide). Both have mail order and online ordering.

#15 Lightfoot

Lightfoot

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

If you are in Australia, check out Nunn Engineering. Aside from being a Scorpyd dealer and PSE, he also sells the cheapies I believe. I do know he's a crossbow affictionado and target shooter so he would know his stuff.

L.

I use a Jaguar (aka Perfectline or Armex) crossbow, for reasons I mentioned at one of my posts in the 'gear' category. I have taken a fox with mine at 20 yards. It is capable of good accuracy, and fox are small targets. It is fun to shoot. As for 16" carbon bolts, there is an archery shop in Adelaide that sells them. Look for Archery Mart Australia on Google. You won't find crossbows on their webpage for legal reasons, but they do sell the stuff and accessories to go. Click on the email link and tell James, the proprietor what you need. He may be able to help. Another option is Archery Academy (Adelaide). Both have mail order and online ordering.

#16 NeilM

NeilM

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:07 AM

It's nice to find a forum where people don't automatically get flamed for looking at a cheap bow. The Jaguar is very popular in the UK, as a recent change in the rules of the NFAS (National Field Archery Assoc), means that bows like the Jag can now be used in 3D and field competitions (we have no bow hunting in the UK).

The Jag is becoming popular because it is a cheap way for people to dip their toe in the crossbow water, as the next step is a Tenpoint GT Flex or Excalibur Vixen at $600 to $700!

Everyone is aware of the issues like the strings, but they are a simple, tough and accurate bow, and for once, they are cheaper over here than they are in the US!
  • bigdean65 likes this

#17 TerryG

TerryG

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationSouthcentral Oklahoma

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hi everybody, I just purchased one of these crossbows. Haven't had much shooting time, as of yet. The question is, when I cocked the bow, sometimes the serving is in the center and sometimes it is mostly to the left. Do I have something set up wrong, or is it something I am doing wrong? I read, on another forum board, :banghead: that I shouls make sure the limb is squared using a tape measure, and I think I got it good but I am all over the place, and after 3/ 3 shot groups I had 2 vanes striped off of the bolts. I didn't try the bolts that came with it (16") I tried some 20" carbonexpress 2213's. The first shot was a tack driver and the next 2 came in from the left and to the left. Next group all went straight just to the right. Like I said I am a newbie. Any help would be great. Thanks.

#18 Kiwininja

Kiwininja

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:08 PM

Hey champ ...have you tried a cocking rope to make sure you get an even pull? ...if you don't get an even pull then you bolts will not have consistent arrow flight! ..pulling by hand some tend to be stronger on one side then the other automatically loading one side of the prod then the other resulting in erratic arrow flight and did you fletch your own arrows? ..bad fletching can affect the flight of the arrow as well!! ..Checking to see if the prod is square is essential too ...hope that helps in some way chief ..")

#19 TerryG

TerryG

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:43 AM

Hey champ ...have you tried a cocking rope to make sure you get an even pull? ...if you don't get an even pull then you bolts will not have consistent arrow flight! ..pulling by hand some tend to be stronger on one side then the other automatically loading one side of the prod then the other resulting in erratic arrow flight and did you fletch your own arrows? ..bad fletching can affect the flight of the arrow as well!! ..Checking to see if the prod is square is essential too ...hope that helps in some way chief ..")

It didn't come with a cocking rope, but I bought one before I put it together. It is a little long and I was having to wind it around my hands to get it locked in, sounds like I may be the culprit. The arrows I bought were already fletched, I think me cocking crooked was making the fletching hit the front sight hood. Do the fletching shrink wraps work on the crossbow bolts? I do have a arizona ez fletcher and some glue, if that would be better.

Edited by TerryG, 22 September 2011 - 02:44 AM.

#20 TerryG

TerryG

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 02:46 AM

I was also wondering about Blazer vanes, is that a bad idea on such short arrows.