buckeye dan

Armed Citizen

• Members
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Due Diligence Gone Wild: Now Those Deals Are Really, Really Dead

By Beina Xu

Due diligence can be dangerous when you’re looking at a company that sells crossbows.
Posted Image

Courtesy Horton Archery

When TGV Partners Principal Ryan Callaghan and fellow partners started looking at investing in Horton Archery, they trekked to the nearest Bass Pro shop and bought a few crossbows to try out in the office (it would’ve been illegal in the parking lot outside).

When Callaghan aimed and fired his first crossbow in the office suite, he overshot his target block, shooting the firm’s dead-deal file cabinet with the arrow instead. It’s been embedded there ever since.

All TGV partners got their turn with the crossbows – in particular the new VISION 175 model, according to Callaghan, who said it’s more accurate, quieter and easier to use.

Satisfied that the arrows had proven their efficacy at destroying file cabinets, the firm went ahead with the investment. TGV took a 50% stake in the crossbow and archery company for less than $50 million.

Crossbows have been one of the few growing categories in the firearms industry, according to Gallagher, who added that Pennsylvania, Michigan, Texas and New Jersey have recently legalized crossbow hunting, in addition to a few other states that already allow the practice.

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com...ly-really-dead/

#2 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

File cabinets be aware!

This is just stupid....

#3 OLDFLYER

OLDFLYER

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:14 AM

buckeye dan

I know you just copied and pasted what you found and this is not directed towards you, but that whole thing is BS. Having read most of the posts on here, one starts to see that things do not jive. First of all, if what was written before was correct, the Vision bows were on a boat (or not yet loaded) coming from China when Horton was purchased. Anyone who was about to invest close to 50 MIL in a company, does not need to purchase bows from Bass PRO Shop which they could not have done anyway because the bows were not even in this country yet. When you are talking about 50 MIL, Horton would have given them a few bows to check out. They would not have to go out and buy them!

Point is, why the BS? I think that some companies feel they have to lie sometimes and some lie so much that it becomes standard operating procedure. When the truth does not hurt any way of doing business, companys should use the truth as much as they can, and, use it to their advantage!

#4 buckeye dan

buckeye dan

Armed Citizen

• Members
  • 2,007 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

buckeye dan

I know you just copied and pasted what you found and this is not directed towards you, but that whole thing is BS. Having read most of the posts on here, one starts to see that things do not jive. First of all, if what was written before was correct, the Vision bows were on a boat (or not yet loaded) coming from China when Horton was purchased. Anyone who was about to invest close to 50 MIL in a company, does not need to purchase bows from Bass PRO Shop which they could not have done anyway because the bows were not even in this country yet. When you are talking about 50 MIL, Horton would have given them a few bows to check out. They would not have to go out and buy them!

Point is, why the BS? I think that some companies feel they have to lie sometimes and some lie so much that it becomes standard operating procedure. When the truth does not hurt any way of doing business, companys should use the truth as much as they can, and, use it to their advantage!

Hey it's a Wall Street Journal "Blog" on the internet. You have to take these things with a grain of salt. The only reason this passed my screening muster is they called the projectile an arrow and not something silly like a bolt.

I suppose one could call Mr. Callaghan to validate this story but that goes beyond my usual procedure of finding content for CBN. Don't shoot the messenger.:D

#5 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:14 PM

I would think some of the BS comes from the source. What the hell else could he, she, or it say. Article "By Beina Xu"

Possible this was insider the boat messaging and trading!

#6 Nightstalker911

Nightstalker911

Moderator of the UXBNJ

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 07:00 AM

So will this BUY OUT affect Horton Crossbows (sales, prices, quality, models) in any way ?

In other words, how will this affect us, the consumer ?

#7 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,624 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:06 PM

So will this BUY OUT affect Horton Crossbows (sales, prices, quality, models) in any way ?

In other words, how will this affect us, the consumer ?

Well, that seems to be the 5 million dollar question right now. Trust me, many, many people have been waiting for several months for a reply of any kind, and from anyone on the inside. I hope we all find out anything or something soon. Hunting season is coming up quickly. Sales should be shipping out hot and heavy in August. This may very well effect future sales if it isn't addressed very soon.

#8 Hunter2

Hunter2

• Members
  • 3,683 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:15 PM

What happened to Greg Ritz?Hunter2