View New Content Mark all as read |  

Good crossbows for women?

• Please log in to reply

#1 Agent1

Agent1

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:03 PM

We are looking for a good crossbow for my wife to start hunting with. With Michigan's new law in effect she can finally partake in the hunting tradition. She spends much time with me in the woods but she always has wanted to do it herself. She has physical limitations that prevent her from drawing a bow or withstanding the recoil of a shotgun or rifle, but not enough limitation under the old law to qualify for a permit. She is of small stature, 5'3" lbs.

Can anyone suggest a couple of quality crossbows with good cocking devices?

Thanks,
Mike and Shelley Robinson

Mayville Michigan.

#2 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

Welcome Mike,I am sure several members will be forthcoming with the information you request.
In the meantime look around,enjoy the site.

#3 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,818 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

Most all crossbow companies will offer a cocking device, so I don't think that will be an issue. The weight however may come into play. If she will always be shooting from a rest or some sort of mono pod or shooting sticks, front weight of the bow won't be a big deal either. If you think she might shoot it offhand or from a stand, a recurve may be the way to go because they are lighter.

#4 Agent1

Agent1

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:30 PM

Thank you for the insight. This begs another question. Which is generally quieter, recurve or compound? She will almost always be hunting from the ground with a rest anyways, but I would rather it not be too much for her to carry to the stand.

#5 mshell

mshell

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:27 PM

Thank you for the insight. This begs another question. Which is generally quieter, recurve or compound? She will almost always be hunting from the ground with a rest anyways, but I would rather it not be too much for her to carry to the stand.

hi WELCOME! there are some women on this site that have been xbow hunting more than I,and they will voice in in a while.I just bought my first crossbow,and handled every brand.I knew it would have to be something
I could cock and handle ,Im a tall girl,but have some phiscal issues,but found a great bow that met all my needs Price ,comfort,and the ability to handle...thats my new Vixen2 by excalibur.I could cock it with a rope,its 150 lb. but I could cock there 175 lb.bow as well but liked the weight and balance of the vixen.Its all about want she finds best for her.But let her handle some beore she decides..good luck and happy hunting!

#6 smitty

smitty

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

look at the new horton vision lite,quiet and very easy to cock

#7 Rapalapaul

Rapalapaul

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:29 PM

try out the wildcat c-5 by barnett my gf liked how light it was. But she did op for the faster quad 400 avi

#8 ridgehunter

ridgehunter

• Members
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

I have the wildcat C5 due to my disabilities. It handles well, is light, and the cranking device works and stores well on the bow.

#9 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:48 AM

Welcome to our community Agent.
NO crossbow is quiet to the point a deer won't hear it..no matter what you do to silence them. One may be quieter than another to the SHOOTER'S ears but none are as quiet as the loudest vertical bow. That's because their string is under like three times the load. After trying everything imaginable to silence the 5 I've owned - most of which just slowed the arrow - I've learned to live with it. Instead, I focus on ONE speedy and well aimed shot .... at a relaxed animal .... within my personal ethical shooting distance: <40 yards.

As for bows, I'll let any of the girls answer about their choices but concur that a recurve (like Excal Vixen or Ivbex) is lighter and better balanced ...less front-heavy...than most compounds. And infinitely more durable as well as easier to maintain.

#10 Migabby

Migabby

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

I totally have to concur with that statement I held or tried them all and the Excalibur Vixen II, because of my back and other problems was an easy choice. I just love it. and I shoot just as good as my Buddy's $900 xbow which is way nose heavy. Speed is not every thing with crossbows. plus Excal has been around and in 1st place in the industry for a long time for a reason.

John

#11 Lscha

Lscha

Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 2,489 posts
  • LocationMichigan's Thumb

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

WELCOME Agent1!Posted Image
I would have to agree that the Vixen II is the best choice for us short people :). I would have gotten one if it was available but I got the Ibex and really love it. Since I have to use a Crankaroo anyway, it doesn't matter. I live near you if she wants someone to shoot with.

#12 Agent1

Agent1

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:50 PM

Thanks ladys and gents for all of the useful info. I guess I am going to have to take her up to Jays or down to Bass Pro and have her handle a few to see what she likes. I have a friend that has a Horton all setup and ready. I will have her shoot his and go from there. That way we can see what she likes and dislikes right off the bat.

You all have been super helpful. Thanks again.

Yes Ischa, I will get her setup with an account here and get her in touch with you. Thanks for the offer.

#13 TenPoint Barb

TenPoint Barb

Industry Professional

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

She should try the TenPoint Pro Slider. It is a light weight bow and very user friendly! I use this bow when I take the physically challenged kids hunting and I have several smaller staure men and woumen using it.