Oil or String Wax on Rail

• Please log in to reply

#1 Rockin' G Ranch

Rockin' G Ranch

• Members
  • 164 posts
  • LocationPoint Blank, TX

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

Should I put oil or just string wax on the rail? I've been putting wax but seen ads for rail oil in tubes. Which is better? Don't think bow brand matters here but I shoot a Barnett Predator.

#2 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

I would not put wax on the rail.

#3 loneranger

loneranger

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

Use Jigaloo,no bildup and no smell,,found a large Walmarts,,most of em.

#4 Rockin' G Ranch

Rockin' G Ranch

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:26 PM

Does it matter what type of oil or just any oil to reduce friction? Sorry for this question but I just recently purchased a Xbow and I want to make sure I do it right. No mention of oil on the rail in the owners manual-just to wax string after every 5 shots.

#5 Undertaker

Undertaker

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:09 AM

I have heard of using silicone sprays, rail lubes, even bought and tried it.

But...read also that maybe it isn't the best thing to do either. Every bow is different, mine is an excalibur, and I am going with just waxing the string and ignoring any rail lubes. Your bow may actually enjoy some Jigaloo action. Give it a try and see what you like best. Many options available.

#6 Sporty87

Sporty87

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

I use a little scorpion venom on the rail of my old xbow, seems to help. I also wax the string and keep and eye on the serving. Jigaloo is probably the same type stuff as scorpion venom, I just used what I had available.

#7 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:35 AM

Don't use oil, it will soften string & serving. then string won't stand up to the trigger claws. you can use jigaloo on rail & i use Daltons wax on string

#8 mississippibow

mississippibow

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

Barnett recomends Lubewax for their product. I think the reason is to fill the small voids in the composite rail. Iv only shot metal rails a few times in the past but I dont think they burr up like a Barnett. I would contact them reguarding other products not to void your warranty.

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:25 AM

and noticed they had gobs of oils and "goo" on the rais and center servings. What a mess! That stuff picks up dust (silica) and eats center servings and helps remove the finish from the deck of the crossbow. Use a dry type lube like Jigaloo that is wiped off after applying, leaving the surface super slick and it does not collect dust and dirt while hunting.

Attached Images

• House 001.jpg
  • House 001.jpg

#10 grndhntr

grndhntr

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:50 PM

I don't use anything on my rail or the serving part of the string (I do wax the bowstring just like with verticle bows). I tested it and found that I could shoot in excess of 500 shots and then would need to reserve the middle of the string with no wax used. I have found no difference when I waxed the rail and when I didn't with my crossbow.

#11 TPM

TPM

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

I never wax the rail though I do wax my string and serving every 75 shots or so. Wax on the rail will collect dirt and grit and will cause wear in your serving.
Interesting to see the comments on Jig-a-Loo. I would have thought it would damaged string material as it contains solvents.

#12 TripleM

TripleM

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

My concerns also about any solvents in the lube. I guess most all lubes have some kind of solvent in them though I'm not sure.
I did use wax on my serving when I first started shooting but within 10 shots I could already see build up on the rail. Haven't use it since.
Being a newbie too, I'm a little leary of putting something on the bow without hearing of others' experiences. I'll keep checking on this post for more info.

#13 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,373 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

I have used jig a loo for almost a year with no ill effects to the string. First,do not put it on the string.Spray the lube very lightly on the rail only, then wipe completely dry before shooting.The other alternative is to spray on a clean cloth ,then wipe on the rail area untill dry. This leaves a very slick surface with no residue.

#14 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Nothing but Jig-A-Loo on the rail ....:)

Mike

#15 AlexG.

AlexG.

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

Use a dry silicon spray on the rail....
Nothing on the serving.

#16 kennisondan

kennisondan

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

I use jig a loo on the rail wiped clean before and after and can feel it is more slick than without...
I use wax on the string..
nothing on the serving cause I beleive it will soften it and help it to separate sooner and need replacing.
dk

#17 Rockin' G Ranch

Rockin' G Ranch

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:20 PM

Where do you get Jig-a-Loo? I checked a local Wal-Mart but couldn't find it.

#18 twinsticks

twinsticks

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Home depot sells it

#19 TPM

TPM

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

I use wax on the string..
nothing on the serving cause I believe it will soften it and help it to separate sooner and need replacing.

Quite the opposite is true. Servings separate because they come loose, not because they become soft. I've tried it both ways and done enough 3D shooting to learn the hard way, a well waxed serving will far outlast one that isn't waxed.

#20 AndyC

AndyC

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

What is Jigaloo??
Is this a dry silicone type of lube? I havn't seen this in Australia.