Possible new Pa archery record

• Please log in to reply

#1 dpms

dpms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:17 AM

Rumors flying about a buck killed on the first day in Jefferson county with a crossbow that will be a new PA state archery record!! I have it from a good source that lives there the rumor is true.

#2 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:54 AM

Oh no ! ! I can hear 'em now.......... :thumbsup: Someone get a case of tissues.

#3 automated11

automated11

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

Rumors flying about a buck killed on the first day in Jefferson county with a crossbow that will be a new PA state archery record!! I have it from a good source that lives there the rumor is true.

Wow I wouldnt expect a record buck in Jefferson, I have a camp there and I have seen some really nice bucks but nothing like around the Pittsburgh area. Congrats the the person that shot him, knowing the area its that much more of a trophy!

#4 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

Let the whining begin! This will confirm the anti's worst fears....fellow crossbow hunters harvesting the anti's deer in THEIR season!! I too am suprised to hear Jefferson County......Congrats to the hunter and I hope to see some pictures soon.

PS: Will not the PGC keep crossbow state records seperate from vertical state records?? Are we keeping the records sererate because of the "defination of a bow"? Hummmmmmmm just antother reason to fix that little "glitch"!!!:thumbsup: This picture should be on the front page of the PCF's site! This is why we fought the fight!!!:thumbsup:

#5 TBrom

TBrom

Pennsylvania Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

I hope it's true. I know for certain there's some new records out there walking around.:thumbsup:

Will not the PGC keep crossbow state records seperate from vertical state records??

No. The PCF has been in contact with the PGC about this very topic. Crossbow kills will be listed in with the archery records. In fact they've ask us to help them find previuos crossbow harvest that should be listed in the archery records. We've turned up the 197 inch Montgomery County non-typical that will become the new state record as well. :thumbsup:

Wow I wouldnt expect a record buck in Jefferson

Pennsylvania's highest scoring buck of all time came from Jefferson County. It had a cracked skull plate so it couldn't be entered into the records. :)

#6 automated11

automated11

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

Pennsylvania's highest scoring buck of all time came from Jefferson County. It had a cracked skull plate so it couldn't be entered into the records. :thumbsup:

Very Interesting, I had no idea. Must be a good gene pull because I know there isnt that much food for the deer in the forest up that way. In the areas I hunt deer population is WAY down, not sure if its because of the combined doe/buck rifle season or what but for sure Im not seeing many deer.....

#7 Tim50

Tim50

• Members
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationWestern Pennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

Crossbow kills will be listed in with the archery records.

Great! I thought I read somewhere that they would be kept seperate...Thanks for clearing that up!!:thumbsup:

#8 dpms

dpms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:58 AM

I have seen a pic but will not post it as I cannot confirm it is the buck or the lucky hunter.

Supposedly he is gathering a few different green scores and is working out some details with the crossbow manufacturer whose equipment he used before going public.

#9 TBrom

TBrom

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

Very Interesting, I had no idea.

Automated11, go down to the bottom of this page and click on page 6. Then click on the Big Buck thread. I have a picture of the buck on page one of the Big Buck thread.

#10 TBrom

TBrom

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

and is working out some details with the crossbow manufacturer whose equipment he used before going public.

Wouldn't that be a little premature? ;)

#11 automated11

automated11

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

That buck is HUGE, I am a meat hunter but Im trying to force myself to hold out for something larger this year. I've killed a buck just about every year since I was 12, now Im 29. My largest has been a 9pt 17" wide about 15" high, a few years back in archery. I dont have a chance to hunt alot of the areas these big guys run, I normally hunt game lands and a little private property. I have never seen a truly huge buck in the woods, If I did I would have probably shot him already LOL.

#12 aceoky

aceoky

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:18 AM

That's awesome!

#13 dpms

dpms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:48 AM

Seen some more pics of this supposed state record and I am not holding my breath at this point. Looks to be a clean ten with rather short tine length and a bit of deductions. Think it is gonna come up short on score.

#14 dpms

dpms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

Since the pics are starting to make the rounds on all of the various message boards, here are few pictures. I admit, the rack does look bigger when it is attached to the deer.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 automated11

automated11

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

Man would I like to see that deer walking twards me in the woods! The antlers definitly look larger on the deer.

#16 TBrom

TBrom

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:04 PM

That's a great PA buck!

#17 dpms

dpms

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:12 PM

After seeing these pics Tbrom, what ya think he scores?

#18 Dr. Trout

Dr. Trout

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Here's a few more I had..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Dr. Trout, 22 October 2009 - 10:31 PM.

#19 TBrom

TBrom

• Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

After seeing these pics Tbrom, what ya think he scores?

I'm afraid to guess. :confused: After seeing these additional pictures and different angles I believe it's bigger than I originally thought. Pictures can be soooooo deceiving though.

Dr. Trout, Are you the one who harvested this deer???

#20 G Money

G Money

• Members
  • 437 posts
  • LocationWaterford> PA (near Erie)

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

aW MY gawd! :confused: