View New Content Mark all as read |  

Lubricating the "rail"

• Please log in to reply

#1 sleddog46

sleddog46

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

I lubricate the rail of my Phoenix with silcone spray, I use a q tip to apply it. It seems to allow the string to glide smoother, just my opinion.

Do any other members have any other suugestions or products to lube the rail?

Thanks in advance.
Sleddog

#2 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,275 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:16 PM

Sleddog,where you been?

Welcome to the Best Crossbow site.

Best thing I ever found is JIG-A-LOO,comes in spray can,some slick stuff!

#3 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:33 PM

See the "search" option button.

Quite a few thoughts there.

Mike

#4 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 888 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:11 PM

I keep my rail dry and clean and lube/wax my serving with Dalton's high speed conditioner. It is really important to keep the serving waxed because it lubricates the string at it's highest point of flex and stress. Jiggaloo is slick but does it penetrate the servings and get to the string material and does it lubricate the string material? Lack of lubrication could eventually end up in string failure.

#5 saxman

saxman

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

I use the Excal wax on my entire string and pay close attention to the serving and wax it after about every 10 - 15 shots.
I shoot boo strings and keep 3 of the stretched and sighted in and keep them in my pack with the stringer.

#6 robk

robk

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

i use the rail lube from horton and i make sure and clean the rail after shooting or a hunt and apply new. never had a problem with it
rob k

#7 sleddog46

sleddog46

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:16 AM

Thanks Guys for all your thoughts, most appreciated.

To Specialized: I don't do much on the forums, just reading all the good advice that members give. It is most appriciated.

I will tell you all that I am an over the hill Canadian that has just gotten a Phoenix xbow. I have a farm here in southern Ontario with a small bush which hold deer who like my soy beans & corn. They (deer) did a lot of damage in 2007, which made up my mind to put some where they really belong my freezer. So hopefully this coming fall I hope to reduce the numbers.

Sleddog

#8 wabi

wabi

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

I lube the rail (and entire bow) by rubbing it down with a sheepskin pad impregnated with a home-made lube of beeswax & neatsfoot oil. This was a treatment I came up with for my muzzleloaders and it protects barrels from rust, plus makes a darn good bullet lube!
I keep the string serving well waxed, and that is probably the most important "rail lube", but the additional wiping with the sheepskin pad each time I handle the bow also adds lube, plus it keeps any metal parts (like screw heads) rust free, and it keeps any string wax from building up on the rail.

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:26 AM

and I know Boo is an expert on strings but I don't wax my servings. I wax the crap out of the string material right before I center serve the string but that's it. Using several types of string waxes, I always seem to notice quicker center serving separation and even serving deterioration when regularly waxing this part of the serving.

I do use Jigaloo on the barrel decks from time to time and it's fantastic for pulling arrows when shooting 3D targets.

#10 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

Moon, send me a string and I'll reserve it and the claws will evenutally wear through the serving but will not separate. You are right in a way Tom, a serving done in a less than perfect manner will separate if lubed.
BTW, I am not an expert on strings, I just know more than some about strings.

#11 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

The worst bow for center serving separation for me is the Excal Vortex. Although my string center servings last a lot longer than than the factory endless loops.

Second worse is on TP crossbows (all models). They last a long time but the center servings just slide around a lot.

My Desert Stryker is the best of the bunch. A center serving on this bow lasts seemingly forever:)

I'll shoot you the next string I make for the Vortex (without my center serving).

BTW, I rarely ever damage the string material under the center serving because I re-serve them before it gets to that stage.

Thanks

#12 Boo

Boo

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 02:36 PM

My pleasure Tom!:confused:

#13 jayken

jayken

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:25 PM

Ive been using NAPA Sil-Glyde part#765-1351 so far so good havent had any color damage on Exomax rail either

#14 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

I keep my serving lubed with Daltons and apply a high-tech polymer car wax to the deck and buff it like the dickens. Makes the deck as slick as snotty marbles.
I do wonder if there is any chemical reaction between the Daltons and the car wax. Nothing I've noticed yet.

Boo, if this is a bad thing, let me know. My servings are lasting quite well and I'm seeing no adverse effects from doing this.

#15 Lscha

Lscha

Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 2,435 posts
  • LocationMichigan's Thumb

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:55 PM

I keep my serving lubed with Daltons and apply a high-tech polymer car wax to the deck and buff it like the dickens. Makes the deck as slick as snotty marbles.
I do wonder if there is any chemical reaction between the Daltons and the car wax. Nothing I've noticed yet.

Boo, if this is a bad thing, let me know. My servings are lasting quite well and I'm seeing no adverse effects from doing this.

Snotty marbles. Good one.:lol:

#16 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

Moon, i see that slip-slide thing with both my buddies ten Points. the serving is durable for sure, but they slip around a lot, especially where the string claws make contact. One pal has to push his back tight about every three shots. I wouldn't like that myself.

#17 deaf jeff

deaf jeff

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:23 AM

Moon, i see that slip-slide thing with both my buddies ten Points. the serving is durable for sure, but they slip around a lot, especially where the string claws make contact. One pal has to push his back tight about every three shots. I wouldn't like that myself.

i use dalton's on the string and serving, and also use jigaloo on the rail works well for me

#18 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,250 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

i use dalton's on the string and serving, and also use jigaloo on the rail works well for me

Same here. Greasy stuff on the rail only attracts dirt which wears the string. Dalton's soaks in and lubricates the string.
As for serving separation, I'm finding that most any material I've tried won't separate if the serving is applied very tight on a well stretched string (like 300 lbs of pressure). That said, however, Halo and Majesty seems to wear the best in the area where the latches connect the string.