View New Content Mark all as read |  

NuFletch - an innovative vane system

• Please log in to reply

#1 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

I saw the NuFletch vane system at the ATA show in January. IMO, this is a revolutionary product and will be great for crossbow hunters and shooters just getting into the sport and have no means or experience to fletch their own arrows, those that want to shoot heavier arrows and those of us that hate pulling out the old fletching jig to replace a damaged vane.

Crossbows typically are more damaging to arrows and vanes because they are normally faster and the arrows are a shorter 18 to 22 inches, resulting in vanes being forced into target material more often. With the Nufletch system, it takes less than 10 seconds to replace a damaged vane or all 3 vanes. Another great feature of the Nufletch system is that some crossbows’ barrel channels are not deep enough to prevent lower vane contact. This can negatively affect accuracy and damage the lower vane. The design of the Nufletch system lowers the vane’s height just enough to clear the bottom of the crossbow’s barrel channel .

The NuFletch system will be offered for crossbow arrows in diameters to match popular sizes from Gold Tip, Easton and others. To keep your crossbow arrows the same length using the NuFletch system, simply cut off 3 1/8” inches from the rear of the shaft and install a standard aluminum screw in point insert for that brand arrow and you are ready to screw the NuFletch system with vanes onto the rear of the shaft. Flat and moon nocks will be available for the NuFletch vane systems. The moon nocks can be rotated to achieve an exact index of the lower vane to clear the barrel deck channel.

There will be a net gain in arrow weight and some additional stiffness due to the shorter shaft using a NuFletch vane system. Using 2.1” Fusion vanes and 20” GT Lazer II shafts as an example, here’s what I found in weight comparison. The standard 20” arrow with brass insert, 100 grain point, standard nock and Fusion vanes weighs approximately 401.5 grains on my 2 grain scales. After cutting 3 1/8” off the rear of the 20” shaft, installing a standard aluminum screw in point insert in the rear of the shaft and attaching the NuFletch unit with Fusion vanes, the arrow weighed 488.1 grains, for an 86.6 grain increase. That is a substantial amount and shooters that are trying to squeeze all the speed they can from their setups will likely see this as a disadvantage. Others may see it as an advantage, depending on their thoughts on arrow weight. I would guess it’s fair to say that most new crossbow shooters and hunters would not have a problem with the additional arrow weight when compared to the advantages of the Nufletch system and some people looking for a means to add weight to their arrows will find this a quick and easy way to achieve that. The NuFletch system will also substantially change the FOC of an arrow so for the shooters that insist on certain FOC for their arrows, they will have to add more weight to the front of the arrow with heavier points and/or inserts.

I will be shooting arrows on a daily basis with the NuFletch vane systems installed, with field points and broadheads that work well with normally fletched crossbow arrows, to determine any differences in performance, accuracy and POI from normally fletched arrows, using several different crossbows in speed ranges from 280 fps to 380 fps. I will be posting my results and opinions on the shooting sessions going forward. I stand corrected by the NuFletch folks if they see errors in my postings.

Attached Images

• DSC00335.JPG
  • DSC00336.JPG
  • DSC00335.JPG
  • DSC00336.JPG

Edited by Moon, 26 March 2010 - 05:20 PM.

#2 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:17 PM

Moon, thanks for the info, will be waiting to hear on shooting reports..
Sounds like an interesting product...

Mike

#3 delta_dog

delta_dog

• Members
  • 90 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, Pa

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:30 PM

86 grains !! OUCH! I guess that throws an 18% FOC out the window. LOL. Im really curious how they will perform. Keep us posted Moon.

#4 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

Out to 40 yards or so, it actually impacts higher than the glued on vaned arrow that weighs 86 grains less. The FOC factor is definitely going to be played with here:)

I'm going to test them using these crossbows (one at a time of course) at speeds from 280 to 380 fps (with conventionally fletched arrows):

Desert Stryker
Horton V 175
Twinbow Six Pack
Excal Vortex
TP Pro Slider
Strykeforce

Edited by Moon, 27 March 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#5 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

Pretty is as pricey does. Now costs over $20 to lose an arrow with BH and lighted nock. Judging by looks alone this gizmo better come with a telemetry chip to facilitate recovery.!.

#6 eddie-shakem

eddie-shakem

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:39 AM

nice. looks good.

#7 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:15 PM

and brought out the metal detector. Didn't take but a minute to locate that aluminum:)

Assuming the NuFletch system does what I want it to do, I can justify the price. if an arrow is ruined, just unscrew it and attach it to another shaft. The time saved by not having to refletch with a jig and glue is a big plus.

My limited shooting so far is quite amazing to me. I've added 86 grains to the rear of the shaft which greatly changes the weight FOC and the GT's out of the Horton Vision 175 are grouping just as well with field points as the standard glue on vaned arrows. Much more testing to do:)

Edited by Moon, 01 April 2010 - 01:36 PM.

#8 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,675 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Except that the vanes are the part of an arrow most likely to fail.

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:59 PM

I guess I was tired and maybe half asleep. The vanes being the first to go is one big reason to consider the Nufletch system,

Edited by Moon, 28 March 2010 - 03:44 PM.
Corrections

#10 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

and concern. I'm one that will push the envelope, however, to determine the value of a product, especially a product as innovative as this one is. As to the price, with broadheads selling for over $40 for 3, I'll have no issue spending $39 for these. I can see these outlasting the shafts, especially aluminum shafts.

As to color coordination, I had some red and green aluminum shafts so I just matched them up. Realisitically, I think black, dark gray and maybe a camo version will work nicely for most crossbow hunters,

Let's talk penetration for a moment. For example, let's assume you are using a Gold Tip
20" arrow with brass insert that weighs 400 grains using a 100 grain head. After installing the Nufletch system on that hunting arrow you now have an arrow that weighs 486, all of the additional 86 grains at the rear of the shaft.
By switching out that 100 grain head for a 170 grain NAP all stainless Spitfire (for example) you now have a 20" hunting arrow that weighs 556 grains with virtually the same FOC as you originally had with the 400 grain arrow. Penetration up the wazoo!!!!!

556 grain arrow KE:

290 fps = 103.8
300 fps = 111.1
320 fps p 126.4

Edited by Moon, 29 March 2010 - 07:58 AM.

#11 Urban Legend

Urban Legend

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 5,851 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:58 AM

I have many of the same concerns as other members. My biggest concern is about broadhead flight. By adding another point where things may not align perfectly, I'm wondering what it will do to broadhead flight.

#12 ezmoover

ezmoover

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

if an arrow is ruined, just unscrew it and attach it to another shaft. The time saved by not having to refletch with a jig and glue is a big plus.

:confused:

Don't you have to invest $$$ and time into a cutting and squaring tool to remove 3 1/8" of shaft? And ensure a good square cut and assembly so that it still spins true? How is this more convenient (and less costly) than just doing a simple fletch?

Also, if you want to load up the weight to increase KE, wouldn't it be more aerodynamically feasible to just screw on a heavier head or brass insert/washers?

Not trying to rain on your parade but I'm just sceptical like some of the other members here. Having a hard time understanding how the risk/reward benefits are worth it.

#13 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,544 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Let's talk penetration for a moment. For example, you are using a Gold Tip
20" arrow with brass insert that weighs 400 grains using a 100 grain head. After installing the Nufletch system on that hunting arrow you now have an arrow that weighs 486, all of the additional 86 grains at the rear of the shaft.
By switching out that 100 grain head for a 170 grain NAP all stainless Spitfire (for example) you now have a 20" hunting arrow that weighs 556 grains with virtually the same FOC as you originally had with the 400 grain arrow. Penetration up the wazoo!!!!!

556 grain arrow KE:

290 fps = 103.8
300 fps = 111.1
320 fps p 126.4

Moon, that's the same thing I was thinking, if you countered that weight with the new xbow Slick Trick 175 you would basically have the same FOC..Plus with all that added weight you should be able to shoot through a truck (end to end)...But I to, have the same concerns about having another insert to screw into and everything being square..

Mike

#14 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:59 PM

There is a point of diminishing return when it comes to adding weight.

If you can push that same 400gr arrow 60fps faster than the 556gr, then the KE=128lbs.

#15 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

if you want to push the arrow that much faster, and can.

I understand the concerns and I intend to answer those as I go forward.

I can answer a few already. I just went out into the shop, cut 3 shafts to length, glued in inserts on both ends, slipped 3 vanes into each of 3 NuFletch units and screwed the flat nock caps down before I could have finished prepping the shafts for gluing the vanes. And if I have to replace a vane in the future, there will be no shaft scraping, cleaning, prepping and refletching with glue.

Yes it will be more expensive than gluing vanes on shafts the conventional way and just like anything else discussed on these forums, not everyone will agree. That's OK. I want to determine for myself how this unique product pans out and I think it might be interesting reading for others whether they like the product or not.:)

Yep, just screwing on a heavier head is the easiest way to increase arrow weight......to a point. We could make a 400 grain GT a 470 grain by using a 170 grain broadhead. I see folks looking to increase their arrow weight into the mid 550 grain range. We would need a 250 grain head to do that.:o

Don't worry about raining on my parade because the parade is not yet scheduled and may not be at all. We shall see.:D

I'm going to start tomorrow, hopefully, with the Desert Stryker using GT's with brass inserts and shooting right at 350 fps with the standard fletched arrow. I will be using Blazer vanes and 100 grain heads.

I will be noting speed loss, accuracy differences, POI differences out to 50 yards using field points and Razor Trick fixed 4 blade heads.

Edited by Moon, 28 March 2010 - 04:17 PM.

#16 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:09 AM

It rained like crazy all night with thunder and lightning. Just south of here, in the Charlotte/ Greensboro NC area, they had tornados last night. It's that time of the year. With all the water on the ground I may have to wait until Wednesday to go down to the farm to start testing the NuFletch system. I'll bet this looks like a lake right now.

Attached Images

• 060.jpg
  • Farmj 004.jpg
  • 060.jpg
  • Farmj 004.jpg

#17 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:46 PM

I learned that there are some things going on with their vane system that I don't understand....yet. It has to do with the NuFletch's small body diameter and its effect on air flow over it. I do know that with the smaller diameter body, even tall Blazer and Fusion vanes clear the bottoms of the barrel channels on Ten Point and other crossbows with shallow barrel channels.

#18 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

test session tomorrow. Maybe the water has receded from the rain we got Sunday night. It's going to be interesting:)

#19 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

with the Nufletch vane system.

Attached Images

• NuFletch.jpg
  • DSC00315.jpg
  • NuFletch.jpg
  • DSC00315.jpg

#20 sea-nile