View New Content Mark all as read |  

Uncocking a cross bow

• Please log in to reply

#1 pudoo

pudoo

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Being new to this cross bow game another questions.about uncocking a C.B. I know you cant dry fire one & also to uncock one you must shoot into a target to unload.What I was wondering was if you got a cranking device can you use it to uncock the bow or do you have to shoot it to do it right? Or is there another way? THANKS

#2 cal45

cal45

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationWillington, Connecticut

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:48 PM

According to Barnett you must shoot it. They say that cranking it down by hand puts undo stress on the limbs and can do damage. I can't see where the difference is between letting it down and pulling it back. Might be an accident thing with the crank handle spinning around and wacking some knuckles? Some here have said that they have let them down for years and have had no ill effects. So who do you believe? The "experts" or experience?

#3 StoredEnergy

StoredEnergy

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Most all manufacturers say to shoot an arrow into a target. It is without a doubt the safest way to decock a bow.

I have heard that Horton is selling a "Decoc*ing arrow" that is near indestructible so you don't have to use a good arrow to shoot into the ground.

#4 Buck Buster

Buck Buster

Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:12 PM

Most all manufacturers say to shoot an arrow into a target. It is without a doubt the safest way to decock a bow.

I have heard that Horton is selling a "Decoc*ing arrow" that is near indestructible so you don't have to use a good arrow to shoot into the ground.

If they sell it i want it. Thanks for the info

#5 msflatlander

msflatlander

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of I 80

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

Don't even think about "cranking" it down. Knew a guy with a Ten Point with Accudraw and he tried it. Said the darn handle on the cocking device nailed him good! :D Just shoot it.

#6 retcapt121

retcapt121

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

If they sell it i want it. Thanks for the info

Yes they do. I have seen it in a basspro cat. But way not just use an old arrow??:confused:

#7 Non Typical

Non Typical

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have a guy make me a small carry in the car or truck target. The only safe way to unload is to shoot it. I have had some come back to get another cheap (no such thing) arrow to use. They shot into the ground, some was lost, went to deep, the others hit a root or rock and needed another. I have extras targets now.

#8 Gimmy

Gimmy

Getting More Senior By The Minute Member

• Members
  • 2,127 posts
  • LocationLSU TIGER COUNTRY

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:53 PM

You will find that all manufacturers of crossbows say in order to unload your bow, you must shoot it. I use carbon bolts, but unload with an aluminum with a lighted nock. I have a small block target that I take with me on my 4 wheeler so I can unload. I've tried shooting in the ground, but you wouldn't believe how mangled my bolts were when I retrieved them. Safety if first with a crossbow and to be safe, please do not try to uncock it, but shoot it. As said in previous post, there are those who said they uncock their bows, but they are way more experienced than probably you and me put together.

#9 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 09:15 PM

I own a Parker Tornado...and it must be fired to unload...there is a thread here about a discharge target offered my Morrell...

http://www.crossbown...read.php?t=7611

#10 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:25 PM

On our 150's, we hand uncock but it takes two people. One to hold the string and let it down, and one to pull the trigger.
The 175's and 200 we shoot an old arrow. After awhile, you'll have plenty of old arrows to use for discharging. Don't worry. Doesn't need fletching either. If there's no rocks, you can shoot the bow in front of you 5 yards, but if you hit a rock, the arrow is trash.

#11 Dereck

Dereck

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

I used the cocking aid on my Excalibur to uncock it and I can't see how that would put undo stress on the limbs.If that was the case cocking it and leaving it cocked for 3 hrs sitting in a blind would wreck it.

A friend of mine has an aluminum bolt with a tennis ball siliconed on to it and thats what he likes and uses.

Do what you are comfortable with and ultimately feel safest doing.

#12 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:22 AM

Uncocking the bow with out shooting it. IMO is what sets the Excals a part.

#13 Crossbowgilly

Crossbowgilly

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:24 AM

When hunting with my son he can let it down for me my hand, but if by myself I use a aluminun arrow. I also saw that Horton has a discharge arrow
that is heavy duty, may get one of these. The safest bet shoot a arrow myo.

#14 Sporty87

Sporty87

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

I have an old deer corn feed sack (dog food sack will work also) that I stuffed some rags into (minus zippers, buttons, etc) and I shoot a field tipped arrow into that to decock (unload) the bow. You can take it anywhere, I can pull the arrow out with two fingers and I still haven't had the tip go through the bag. Simple and cheap, works for me.

#15 casper

casper

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

The safest way to uncock a crossbow with out an arrow is set it aside, call an Excalibur dealer and order a bow from him. Sorry I just had to.:D

#16 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:34 PM

Safety is the primary reason that manufactures of bows with anti dryfire devices (ADD) want you to shoot them off. It can be done by using a piece of dowel/arrow to deactivate the ADD and a rope cocker to let it down one-handed, BUT a slip of the rope cocker handle results in a partial dryfire and possible injury.
That said, I let my Excals down with a rope cocker, but shoot the compound down for safety sake. I would NOT use a mechanical cocker to decock. The small handle can't be held firmly enough to do it safely esp while holding the anti reversing mechanism-usually on the same side-back while doing so.
Note: Didn't say it couldn't be done, just not safely. Been there, done that.

#17 Buddly

Buddly

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • LocationStow, Ohio

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:22 PM

I uncock both by hand and shooting. If I ain't killed nothin' then I hand it. If I have then it's already uncocked!:D

#18 msflatlander

msflatlander

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationIllinois South of I 80

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have used the same discharge arrow for years. It is an arrow inside of an arrow with a field (dull) point and flat noc. That is much heavier and has yet to bend when shooting into a small ethafoam block or dirt. You could put a "Blunt" on it like you use for small game.

#19 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Take a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Wadd up some old clothes and put them in the bucket. Do not fold the clothes as your bolt may bounce back. Stretch a piece of cloth across the top. Cut the lid out and just leave the ring attach over the cloth. Shoot into the open end of the bucket. So far it stops bolts of 425 grains at 350 fps at point blank range. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot any faster bolts, but it also stopped a .38 cal hollow point and the bullet didn't even mushroom.

#20 Tenpoint TL-9

Tenpoint TL-9

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

I use a old arrow to uncock my Tenpoint Titan TL-7 crossbow and I shoot it into a bank. :D Don't take short cuts. Be safe. :(