View New Content Mark all as read |  

Rail Lube

• Please log in to reply

#1 urbanhunter

urbanhunter

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:36 AM

Someone told me about Scorpion Venom to use as rail lube. Can someone from Tenpoint tell me if it's ok to use?

#2 TenPoint Matt

TenPoint Matt

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Scorpion Venom rail lube is fine to use. We tested a little out last year and found no problems with it.

#3 urbanhunter

urbanhunter

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

thanks.

#4 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

I do myself rail lube and string wax.
Beeswax melted with white vaseline.

More beeswax - for strings & cables of my all bows (xbow, compound and classic recurve)
More vaseline - for flight rail.

#5 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

So,how is the Vaseline working for you?
I would think that would cause buildup on your string and collect dirt or debris.Also might be a problem in freezing and wet conditions.

#6 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:05 AM

So,how is the Vaseline working for you?
I would think that would cause buildup on your string and collect dirt or debris.Also might be a problem in freezing and wet conditions.

Only Vaseline - a bad idea, you're right. The active substance - it's beeswax.
Vaseline is used only to soften beeswax.

Rail wax - I prepared the different proportions: freezing condition - more Vaseline. Heat - less. Working properly. Both substances are chemically inactive and does not destroy flight rail and strings. Mixed collect dirt and dust in the same way as branded products. No problems in wet condition. Only are not as slippery as company lube wax, but enough for me.

Used as a string wax (more beeswax) - protects the strings very well.

This is not my idea. This mixture use to bullets black powder weapons fans.
I only adapts to the crossbow, because in my country rail lube is not available and the import is inconvenient.
But I recommend beeswax with a small admixture of white Vaseline to protect the strings.

regards - jopsa

#7 TenPoint Matt

TenPoint Matt

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 10:04 AM

Jopsa & Specialized,
We HIGHLY recommend that customers do not use vaseline based rail lubes and/or lubricants on crossbows. Vaseline-like substances will build up in your trigger box and they also collect dirt. It will cause the moving parts in the trigger box to get all gunked up, causing a variety of problems. The result is normally the inability to cock your crossbow.

Stick to oil-based rail lubes like a microlon or a 3-in-1.

Edited by TenPoint Matt, 21 May 2010 - 10:16 AM.

#8 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

We HIGHLY recommend that customers do not use vaseline based rail lubes and/or lubricants on crossbows. Vaseline-like substances will build up in your trigger box and they also collect dirt. It will cause the moving parts in the trigger box to get all gunked up, causing a variety of problems. The result is normally the inability to cock your crossbow.

Thanks TenPointMatt for the warning, I will not use this mixture for rail.
Can I use silicone grease?
But still I recommend beeswax mixed with a little bit vaseline to strings. It protects so well that over 20 years is not changed bowstring in my classical 55# bow.

#9 jdsto

jdsto

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:49 PM

The shop I bought my Crossbow from recomended using excalibur serving wax on the flight rail. They indicated that the using oil on the flight rail could lead to difficulty with the trigger box getting all "gunked up". Any thoughts?

#10 TenPoint Andy

TenPoint Andy

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:51 AM

The wax will deffinately cause you problems down the road if you use it on your barrel. The reason it will cause problems is because it doesnt ever go away once it gets to the trigger box. It acts as a good protectant but it is also a debris attractant. I have seen the worst of trigger boxes and I can tell you that vasaline type rail lubes or wax type rail lubes will get your grigger box full of leaves dirt treebark you name it. I have even seen sticks....yes sticks in trigger boxes. If you use a 3 in one or our microlon you are safe. The microlon has teflon in it making it superior to 3 in 1 oil and makes it last a little longer also. Be sure not to over oil the rail because you can use too much making your serving soak all of that up and swell to the point where there is too much friction on the barrel and it will chew thru quickly. If you have any questions feel free to contact me via email or phone.

Thanks,

TenPoint Crossbow Technologies / Customer Service Rep.
Andy Eicher
330.628.9245 ext 207
aeicher@tenpointcrossbows.com

#11 TenPoint Andy

TenPoint Andy

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

Jopsa,

I would not use pure silicone grease it will likely have the same adverse effect on the trigger box. I would stick to 3-in-1 oil if I were you. That is if you cannont get the right stuff from a dealer. What is your location I may be able to talk to sales and find a dealer internationally that can help you. You also may be able to look at Microlons website and possibly order from them or order online from us direct for that matter depending on your situation. look at my last post and give me a call or an email if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Andy Eicher