View New Content Mark all as read |  

Vibration dampeners

• Please log in to reply

#1 firemedic396

firemedic396

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:05 PM

I have a Quad 400 that I have only shot 2-3 times so far. There are no complaints at the present time, but I was wondering if there are any problems using vibration dampening systems like the ones offered from SVL and others? Will this damage the split limbs or moving parts? Would this cause problems with shooting the crossbow? Would it void the warranty? I have used these before on my conventional compound bows and felt a degree of improvement in felt vibration and noise when I shot them. There's not a lot of noise right now, but if I can improve on that for hunting season, then I will take any advantage that I can get. Thanks in advance for any answers/opinions. Greg

#2 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:55 PM

No...no problems installing "dampers" (no "n") when calling the proper name.

I've used Bowjax dampers with good results. I've tried three different brands, had the best luck with the Bowjax at dampening (action word) the vibration/noise.

Put them at the point of the largest vibration...e.g., nearest the end of the limbs as you can. The stock is also a good place.
Wrap the foot sturrup with a coupla layers of rubber then tape to hold it in place.

Mike

#3 websterz

websterz

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

"Couple of"... not "coupla". Easier to count when you use the proper name. :D

#4 ezmoover

ezmoover

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

Just got a set of Bowjax dampeners from UL. (He literally hand delivered those dampeners right to my front door! Thanks Jeff :))

Got the dampeners installed (piece o cake) and can't wait to shoot my bolts with those Bowjax dampeners.

I'll bet my heaviest bolts will help those new dampeners do an even better job. :D

#5 cal45

cal45

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationWillington, Connecticut

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

Just got a set of Bowjax dampeners from UL. (He literally hand delivered those dampeners right to my front door! Thanks Jeff :D)

Got the dampeners installed (piece o cake) and can't wait to shoot my bolts with those Bowjax dampeners.

I'll bet my heaviest bolts will help those new dampeners do an even better job. :P

Do I detect some sarcasm here?

#6 ezmoover

ezmoover

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Do I detect some sarcasm here?

:P

#7 sikadear

sikadear

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

I have SVL's on my old Quad 300, and others I know with the 400 use them too to good effect. A newer Quad 400 AVI I shot was super quiet too.

#8 firemedic396

firemedic396

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Cool, thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna take a look at those BowJax dampeners and let y'all know what I decide on. Thanks! Greg

#9 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

My Quad 400 already has a set of typical limbs and string dampers.
Can I install additionally String Suppression System to the riser or barrel?
Similar to that:

http://www.bowjax.com/sts.html

Has anyone of you experience with similar system?
Something similar is already in use

http://www.parkerbow...&detailsku=1100

http://www.nationala...n-us/p4324.html

regards - Robert

Edited by jopsa, 21 May 2010 - 03:21 PM.