How hard is it to cock a crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 Slim

Slim

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Hello,
I just purchased a quad 400. it is being shipped as I speak. this is my first crossbow and would like to know how hard will it be to cock the crossbow using a cocking rope?? I have a bad shoulder.. reason why i bought the crossbow and not a compound bow.

#2 3rdcoach

3rdcoach

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

A cocking rope cuts the force needed by 2
So if you have to pull a 150 lb crossbow by hand to cock it you would have to pull back 75lb wth a rope cocker

#3 briarpatch

briarpatch

• Members
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Slim...welcome to the Nation.....the rope cocker will indeed reduce the amount of force needed by 1/2.....depending on your shoulder...you may want to invest in a crank cocker for your Barnett....

you gonna hunt pigs in Hawaii with that thing?

#4 cal45

cal45

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationWillington, Connecticut

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

It's hard for some but not others. You won't know until you try it. I have the Wildcat and cannot move the string bare handed. My son who shoots a 70-80 pound verticle can pull it back with ease. I could pull it with a rope cocker but because of my back couldn't pull it straight. I ended up getting a winch cocker.

#5 Slim

Slim

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Yeah.. I was thinking that if I cant use the rope cocker I may have to cough up another $120.00 for the winch cocker..

#6 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

so that you have to pull the bowstring up a little to hook it to the cocking hooks. Also, before puling the cocking handles up, take one step backwards with one foot instead of just standing straight up with both feet together. It'll make the cocking process easier for you:)

#7 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,146 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

A cocking rope cuts the force needed by 2
So if you have to pull a 150 lb crossbow by hand to cock it you would have to pull back 75lb wth a rope cocker

Also consider that you are holding the bow with your foot, and using both hands to draw it. So basicly each hand has to draw 37.5# simutainiously.

#8 Slim

Slim

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

Thanks everyone for your expertice.. I guess I will wait for my crossbow to come in and give it a try with the rope cocker. If I have a hard time then I will invest in a crossbow crank...

And yes Briarpatch I will be using it to hunt feral Pigs/Mouflon Sheep and feral goats here in Hawaii.
Used to hunt them with a compound but due to my shoulder injury I have not hunted for three years. Just found out that if your doctor gives a note to Department of Land and Natural Resources here in hawaii saying you are not capable of using a compound bow they will grant you a permit allowing the special use of a crossbow... I'M BACK!!!!!WOOO HOOO

#9 cal45

cal45

• Members
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationWillington, Connecticut

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Thanks everyone for your expertice.. I guess I will wait for my crossbow to come in and give it a try with the rope cocker. If I have a hard time then I will invest in a crossbow crank...

And yes Briarpatch I will be using it to hunt feral Pigs/Mouflon Sheep and feral goats here in Hawaii.
Used to hunt them with a compound but due to my shoulder injury I have not hunted for three years. Just found out that if your doctor gives a note to Department of Land and Natural Resources here in hawaii saying you are not capable of using a compound bow they will grant you a permit allowing the special use of a crossbow... I'M BACK!!!!!WOOO HOOO

That's how I got into crossbows. I have arthritus bad in my back and cannot muster the strength to pull one back. Plus I was in a car wreck and busted my left arm at the wrist pretty bad. Have had two surgeries on it. Got a note from my doctor and now I can hunt with a crossbow....I'M BACK!!!!WOOO HOOO

#10 websterz

websterz

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:25 PM

...Just found out that if your doctor gives a note to Department of Land and Natural Resources here in hawaii saying you are not capable of using a compound bow they will grant you a permit allowing the special use of a crossbow... I'M BACK!!!!!WOOO HOOO

Kinda' the same here in Oklahoma. All you need though is a signed letter from the doc stating disability, that you carry with you while hunting, and you are covered. I got my doctor's note and am back in the archery hunting business!!

#11 Ky.Longbeard

Ky.Longbeard

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Same here in Ky. if doctor signs a statement that you are unable to pull a vertical bow you can hunt with crossbow.

#12 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,627 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

We have an older Quad 400 and my hunting partner always cocked it by hand, so using a cocking rope shouldn't be too bad. Protect the shoulder though. What might make it easier for your shoulder is, instead of cocking it while standing over it and pulling up with your arms/shoulder, sit in a chair or on your butt on the ground, and hold on short on the rope with your arms extended and use your back and legs to push instead of using your arms and shoulders to draw it up.

You may have to shorten the rope so the handles are useful. Where there's a will, there is a way. Good luck! Oh, and it does get easier as you get used to the draw. It is scary at first, and you want to quit half way through, but don't let go and if you have to, slowly back it back down. Just keep your determination, once you decide you are going for it, and you'll get it done.

#13 jopsa

jopsa

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Quad 400 is very easy to cocking (using a cocking rope). Only 150 pounds draw weight - rope cocker reduces to 80 lbs (is not true that the rope cocker reduces cocking strenght exactly by half, also need to overcome friction). The main thing is that the greatest strength (80 lbs) is required at the beginning of cocking, when cocking is easiest (comfortable). After you bend your elbows (less convenient) but fortunately, thanks parabolic cams tensioning force is then smaller.
I'm old and sick - and for that reason (and other too...) I chose Quad400, because it is fast crossbow, but easy to cocking.

#14 jerseyguy

jerseyguy

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNorthern New Jersey

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I'm also new, and also waiting for Wildcat to arrive.
What rope cocker did you get? I haven't picked up any accessories yet, and have been having a hard time finding out which is best for the Wildcat. (maybe they're fairly universal?)

#15 outrunner13

outrunner13

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Locationbrooksville fla

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

i would get what the malf sugguest not a off brand

#16 potshot

potshot

• Members
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

I have a bad rotater in my left shoulder cocking is easy on my Excal the hard part is holding the bow up for offhand shoots.

#17 jethro

jethro

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:02 PM

Kinda' the same here in Oklahoma. All you need though is a signed letter from the doc stating disability, that you carry with you while hunting, and you are covered. I got my doctor's note and am back in the archery hunting business!!

You haven't been on the Wildlife departments website recently have you? ;) It's legal for everyone to use a crossbow in Oklahoma now - no more doctors note required.

#18 swamp acy

swamp acy

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

look in ebay..i got one for 85..swamp

#19 Hurricane

Hurricane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 840 posts
  • LocationCameron Wisconsin

Posted 26 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

I have the Wildcat also....AND a bad elbow from an industrial accident. I can EASILY cock mine with the rope cocker than came with the bow. Cocks straight every time. (just remember to follow the directions and make sure you USE the channel on the back of the stock) I forgot to do this one weekend and couldn't even move the darn string. Went back and (gasp) actually re-read the instructions. easy and accurate cocking. Good luck with the new bow.

'Cane