BEST BROADHEADS FOR FAST CROSSBOW

• Please log in to reply

#1 ben911

ben911

• Members
  • 344 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

I HAVE SCORPYD RDT125 AND CHANGE FOR NEW RDT165 ,I REACH INFO FOR BEST MECHANICAL BROADHEADS.
I HAVE RAGE 3 BLADES AND REACH ONE MODEL DON'T OPEN IN FLIGHT.
I LOOK FOR NEW T3 BROADHEADS BY G5 ,I NEED FEEDBACK OR OTHER IDEA OF MODEL??
THANKS
  • Rs-cap likes this

#2 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

<br />I HAVE SCORPYD RDT125 AND CHANGE FOR NEW RDT165 ,I REACH INFO FOR BEST MECHANICAL BROADHEADS.<br />I HAVE RAGE 3 BLADES AND REACH ONE MODEL DON'T OPEN IN FLIGHT.<br />I LOOK FOR NEW T3 BROADHEADS BY G5 ,I NEED FEEDBACK OR OTHER IDEA OF MODEL??<br />THANKS<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I have had very much success using the Nap Spitfire pro mechanical broadheads shooting my Strykeforce at at 385 fps.
Fly pretty much like field points and killed several deer and Turkeys.

#3 deadon

deadon

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

<br /><br /><br />

I have had very much success using the Nap Spitfire pro mechanical broadheads shooting my Strykeforce at at 385 fps.
Fly pretty much like field points and killed several deer and Turkeys.

I used them in my Parker Terminator and I think SEW uses them also. Spitfire is the best I have tried.

#4 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:01 PM

I've contacted several manufacturers directly, and so far, only the Grim Reaper Crossbow has been supported by its manufacturer at RDT165 speeds. It has a 1.5" cutting radius, too.

The Spitfire might be just fine at that speed, but for what it's worth, even Grim Reaper has tested its other mechanicals up to 400fps, and they said they wouldn't trust their other designs that fast. In other words, what might work fine at 385fps might meet its match at 425fps.

Trophy Ridge straight out said that they don't have any mechanicals appropriate for an RDT165, but I think they're just covering their backside (understandably so).

I've just decided that I have to buy a bunch of broadheads and test them myself. I'm planning to use hide over DIY ballistics gel to simulate hitting a deer. I will also put a piece of paper just in front of the release point of the arrow to see if I can catch any burping open right after the shot.

Any other ideas on testing these at 425fps would be appreciated.

#5 Buck Buster

Buck Buster

Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

I've contacted several manufacturers directly, and so far, only the Grim Reaper Crossbow has been supported by its manufacturer at RDT165 speeds. It has a 1.5" cutting radius, too.

The Spitfire might be just fine at that speed, but for what it's worth, even Grim Reaper has tested its other mechanicals up to 400fps, and they said they wouldn't trust their other designs that fast. In other words, what might work fine at 385fps might meet its match at 425fps.

Trophy Ridge straight out said that they don't have any mechanicals appropriate for an RDT165, but I think they're just covering their backside (understandably so).

I've just decided that I have to buy a bunch of broadheads and test them myself. I'm planning to use hide over DIY ballistics gel to simulate hitting a deer. I will also put a piece of paper just in front of the release point of the arrow to see if I can catch any burping open right after the shot.

Any other ideas on testing these at 425fps would be appreciated.

I agree!

#6 eddie-shakem

eddie-shakem

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 27 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

i use the steelhead, dont cost much and it does the job.

#7 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

What are you shooting it from? What is the fps?

There are plenty of great broadheads out there, but the RDT165 will be firing them at speeds not seen before in a mass produced (sort of) crossbow. 425fps is a LOT of extra acceleration at the shot (though not as much as the Swiss Bow, I guess), and it definitely will be hitting the deer faster than most broadheads were designed around for reliable opening without self-destructing.

#8 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:16 PM

I shoot the Rocket Slammerheads in the Stryker 405 fps xbow. Not much difference in the Scorpyd so they should go ok in them. I do double rubber band them and make sure the rubber bands are new. Any mechanical that has small profile blades should work. Test by shooting through newspsper and you'll know if they open early or not.

#9 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

I think there is more to consider in addition to the speed of the arrow as it leaves the crossbow. The 225 lb Excal's full draw weight is 225 lbs :-). The Twinbow Six Pack hits the arrow at 380 lbs. Compounds relax their draw weights to differing degrees so when the bow string is released at its lightest draw weight the arrow is pushed out of the crossbow in a more gentle rate of accelleration than being hit with the full draw weight. The results is that swing out blade broadheads have less of a tendancy to open out of the typical conmpound crossbow than with heavy recurves or crossbows that do not relaxe at full draw. I never found a swing out blade broadhead that could be shot out of the Twinbow without opening right out of the crossbow. I would guess that some heads would not function properly out of heavier draw weight recurves. I've heard that the faster a crossbow arrow is, the more sensitive it is to broadhead stabilization. I don't quite understand the physics involved in that but I've found that if a crossbow arrow traveling at 300 fps shoots consistently accurate with a certain broadhead/fletching combination, it will also do the same at 350+ fps.

#10 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

I never found a swing out blade broadhead that could be shot out of the Twinbow without opening right out of the crossbow.

What swing-out blade mechanicals have you tried?

I've had a ton of luck with the Trophy Ridge Hammerhead out of much, much slower bows, so I have a fair number of them to use for testing once I have my RDT165 dialed in. I also have a pack of 125gr Vortex 2.75" two-blade broadheads that I never tried because 100gr worked better out of my most recent hunting bows.

The Hammerheads have blades that actually lie INWARD on the ferrule, which should minimize any tendency to open at the shot. Also, a new blade design for 2009 greatly improved the way the band works. In essence, the wings of the blade are dull, wedging as they enter an animal. This causes a slight gap between the ferrule and the band, which is then forced to roll back off the blades as the ferrule penetrates the hide. The blades then just blow up to 2" from there pretty fast. I have two great photos of entry holes from these broadheads, but I can't get the file uploader to work.

The Vortexes work in a similar way, except that they have a very thick o-ring instead of a thin rubber band. Again, this o-ring catches on the hide and rolls back on penetration, allowing the blades to swing out. I just don't see how a Vortex can open early- that o-ring is giving those blade a bear hug. In fact, I worry more about them NOT opening than opening at the shot.

In any case, I will be shooting these and a few other mechanicals through a combination of deer hide, thawed slab of ribs, and ballistics gel to see what opens and what blows up at RDT165 speeds and acceleration. I'm starting big and working my way smaller until I find something that is reliable both off the bow and into the animal.

#11 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

The closest thing i have to your speed is a Strykeforce. I have been testing the New Grim Reaper 100gr 1 3/8"head. Im shooting a 500gr arrow at 350fps. So far there great i have a post on them. Shooting a Ibex most of the time. I not sure if i have any GT arrows for the SF if i do i will shoot one at 380+ and let you know. The spitfire heads shoot great.

#12 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me:-) I have not tested the Vortex heads you mentioned. I stayed away from those because I considered the long "fingers" sticking out at the front a potential glance out problem.

Also, when I say I tested I'm referring only to determining whether the blades open out of the crossbow or not. My reason for testing them was an effort to find an expandable head that would work out of the 380 lb draw Twinbow II. I shot all the NAP's, Grim Reapers, Rage 2 blade (pins kept falling out so I quit early on with that one, Aftershocks and a few others that I can't recall (an old age thing.

I was also trying to find one good head that would work well with a variety of crossbow designs that I could be confident in and could not find it in an expandable except the then discontinued Gato XP so I turned my efforts back to finding a fixed blade head with at least 2" total cutting area. What I found was amazing to me. I had never once considered small cutting diameter heads like the Slick Tricks but since I kept reading all the "hype" about them from actual users, I said what the hell, I'll get a pack of them to test. I had tried Muzzy's, Sonics (PITA heads to assemble without cutting my fingers off :-) and Thunderheads (which I had great success with over the years with vertical bows), all with varying degrees of success but none of them gave me close enough to field point POI at extended ranges that I wanted, using Blazer vanes, except one head, the 100 grain cut on contact Razor Trick. I could not even duplicate its field point POI with any of the other Slick Trick heads! So I now have a head that is absolutely trouble-free, shoots like a field point and kills with the best of them (as far as I can tell).

#13 Raleigh Archer

Raleigh Archer

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

I spoke to Jim yesterday, and he said that both he and the guys at Firenock have found the Meat Seeker to work well out of the RDT165. I've read enough bad reviews of it, though, that I'm a little wary of its performance on game. I did buy some for testing, which I am working to get done in a few weekends.

#14 thirdhandman

thirdhandman

• Members
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationUnion Ky

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:16 AM

All the money that we spend to hunt, clothing ,scent cover up,tree stand, bow, why slack on the broadhead? :) The broadhead is what actually harvest the animal. Cheap mechanical broadheads usually end up being made of rubber bands which do dry rot and are inconsistant, and soft metal blades which bend. I used rockets to harvest 3 deer. All three the blades bent so I was unable to get a pass through with a 60# compound. I did get all 3 deer but took a long time tracking :angry:
Last year I put down a wounded doe using a Grim Reaper. The shot went between the eyes and out the back of the skull. The blades are still intact and straight. :D

#15 Guest_vixenmaster_*

Guest_vixenmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

Meat Seeker 2 blade, i received one fer free to test. I shot a 4 pt at 41 yds at an angle& instead of going down in it skedded & left a slash 8" long 1 1/2" deep. They may do fine at broadside or near broadside. I won't ever shoot another. Yes i did get the Buck, i hunted out of tree stand another hr & half. I climbed down took up the drops of blood here nthere fer a third of a mile. The Buck was bedded up beside a hog wire fence He got up on me & i shot him running with a 100 gr slick mag watched him go close to a hundred yds & he went down. Slick took out both lungs. Steelheads i had used fer yrs. even if the band slips back & blades open it hits just like it was closed. I shot it like that about 25 times testing it to see for myself.

#16 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:43 AM

I was also trying to find one good head that would work well with a variety of crossbow designs that I could be confident in and could not find it in an expandable except the then discontinued Gator XP

The Gator XP is again available. Marketed under the "Redhead" name through Bass Pro Shops.

Posted Image

No bands or springs to fail. No premature opening.

#17 darrens66

darrens66

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

What swing-out blade mechanicals have you tried?

I've had a ton of luck with the Trophy Ridge Hammerhead out of much, much slower bows, so I have a fair number of them to use for testing once I have my RDT165 dialed in. I also have a pack of 125gr Vortex 2.75" two-blade broadheads that I never tried because 100gr worked better out of my most recent hunting bows.

The Hammerheads have blades that actually lie INWARD on the ferrule, which should minimize any tendency to open at the shot. Also, a new blade design for 2009 greatly improved the way the band works. In essence, the wings of the blade are dull, wedging as they enter an animal. This causes a slight gap between the ferrule and the band, which is then forced to roll back off the blades as the ferrule penetrates the hide. The blades then just blow up to 2" from there pretty fast. I have two great photos of entry holes from these broadheads, but I can't get the file uploader to work.

The Vortexes work in a similar way, except that they have a very thick o-ring instead of a thin rubber band. Again, this o-ring catches on the hide and rolls back on penetration, allowing the blades to swing out. I just don't see how a Vortex can open early- that o-ring is giving those blade a bear hug. In fact, I worry more about them NOT opening than opening at the shot.

In any case, I will be shooting these and a few other mechanicals through a combination of deer hide, thawed slab of ribs, and ballistics gel to see what opens and what blows up at RDT165 speeds and acceleration. I'm starting big and working my way smaller until I find something that is reliable both off the bow and into the animal.

Hi I've been shooting vortex 125s since 1999 and in my experience with them never had one fail very deadly.. I use to shoot thunder head 125s before that when I switched to vortex my tracking days were over.. I've killed over 20 or so deer with.the vortex and never lost one the damage they create is just amazing. most exit holes Ican put a pop can in.. I got pics also ill see if I can post. when I first bought my tornado I had them come open in flight but i was ussing a old used oring went and got some new ones at hardware and so far so good tested with approx 20shots..I have three buddies also use them with great success.. my one friend backs the oring back up the shaft about an 1/4 inch or so he was also worried about them not opening. But I notice walking beside him the blades rattle in his quiver making noise.. anyway sorry for the ramble I no to each his own but if someone out there is looking for a new head the marden vortex 125 is a good choice in my humble opinion you won't be sorry.. not to pricey replacement blades available and I get my orings from ace hardware plumbing dept.I should say I'm not putting down the thunder heads. I killed a deer with them they just didn't fly like a field tip and its hard to beat a 2 3/4 inch hole when it comes to a blood trail deer tend to bleed out pretty quick..please post your test results if you test a vortex I'd be interested in knowing the results.. Thanks

#18 outrunner13

outrunner13

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Locationbrooksville fla

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:15 PM

try x-blades from barnett 125gr no rubberband true mech

#19 mitchk

mitchk

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:58 PM

Vortex 125'S are the way to go. You will not get a better blood trail from any other broadhead period !

#20 eddie-shakem

eddie-shakem

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

All the money that we spend to hunt, clothing ,scent cover up,tree stand, bow, why slack on the broadhead? :) The broadhead is what actually harvest the animal. Cheap mechanical broadheads usually end up being made of rubber bands which do dry rot and are inconsistant, and soft metal blades which bend. I used rockets to harvest 3 deer. All three the blades bent so I was unable to get a pass through with a 60# compound. I did get all 3 deer but took a long time tracking :angry:
Last year I put down a wounded doe using a Grim Reaper. The shot went between the eyes and out the back of the skull. The blades are still intact and straight. :D

well i shot to doe this year and pass throughs on both, and last year on my two bucks the same thing, O and the ram i shot last year. they work for me.:)