• Please log in to reply

#1 buckeye dan

buckeye dan

Armed Citizen

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:47 AM

What I had for dinner yesterday. Today I am smoking a hind quarter stuffed with garlic cloves but that is another recipe.

Ingredients:

2 whole boneless venison back straps.
Sea salt
Ground black pepper
Garlic powder or flakes
Zesty Italian dressing (for marinade)
4-6 pounds of thin sliced hickory smoked bacon. (Depending on wrap technique)
*Note* I buy the cheapest bacon I can find for this. You usually get more fat that way.

Strap prep:
Take whole and boneless back straps and trim off the fat and connective tissue/membrane. Make sure to trim off the stringy white strips. Slice back straps nearly in half at the gristle line and trim out gristle. This will yield a total of 4 shorter pieces. Soak the 4 back strap pieces in salt water overnight to remove excess blood. In the morning rinse thoroughly with clean water to get rid of the blood. Pat dry and marinade in zesty Italian dressing until dinner time. At cooking time remove straps from marinade and season with sea salt, ground black pepper and garlic flakes/powder. Sprinkle it all on liberally.

Bacon wrap:
Lay bacon slices on a sheet of wax paper length wise and cross wise making a weave. One slice over and one slice under in a criss-cross fashion. Repeat until you have 3 separate sheets of bacon wrap. *Note* If you allow the bacon to reach room temperature it stretches easier.

Place the 2 front section, thicker pieces of strap on 2 of the bacon sheets and wrap using the paper to assist. With the 2 remaining tail pieces(the rear of the gristle line sections)...Fold the thin ends under and place both pieces together on the 3rd sheet. Place them on the bacon wrap sheet opposing each other to make a single more uniform piece. Wrap snugly using the paper to assist. Discard papers. Secure all 3 wraps with tooth picks as needed.

Cook all 3 bacon wrapped back straps on the grill for 20-35 minutes depending on size and thickness of the wraps. I use a charcoal grill with a lid. I also add hickory chips. To control flame ups I stand by with a can of beer. Using the beer, the vents and the lid you can control flame ups quite easily. All that cooking makes me thirsty too. A little for the flames, a little poured over the meat and a little for me.

Remove meat from the grill. Allow meat to rest for 8-10 minutes covered in foil. Slice and serve. I use the left overs for omelets or pan fry with sauteed onions for cheese steak sandwiches.

Enjoy!
-BD-

#2 speed trap

speed trap

• Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationArlington, TX

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

What time you eating.... :)

#3 mopar1969

mopar1969

• Members
  • 699 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

Wish we had some left! Sounds like a great recipe Buckeye.
\

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 buckeye dan

buckeye dan

Armed Citizen

• Members
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:55 PM

It doesn't get much more simple and basic than that. You'd be amazed how awesome it is. I always reserve meat (2 back straps and a hind quarter) for the 4th holiday. Much past the 4th and the meat starts to show signs of freezer burn. A wonderful holiday and excuse to make room for next seasons bounty. Which reminds me it's time to go light the charcoal chimneys. (I never use lighter fluid. Yuck!)

On a side note we can take 18 deer here and our archery season is 4 months long. I may be buying a vacuum packer in the near future. :( That would make for a never ending supply of venison.

#5 atb

atb

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSE MI

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Thats my favorite . I cut em smaller so I can double wrap em in bacon. MMMMMMMMM. I am all out of backstrap cant wait til Oct 1 to fill the freezer again!

#6 Cajun Executioner

Cajun Executioner

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

I like to cut the backstrap in chunks. I make a slit in each piece. I take a fresh jalopena pepper and cut it in half and take out the seeds and veins and then I cut the peppers in quarters (the long way). I put the piece of jalopena in the slit of the meat, sprinkle Tony Casheries cajun seasoning and then wrap it with bacon and grill it to medium rare. The fresh jalopena adds great flavor and it is not spicy at all.

I have served it to people that do not eat venison and everyone absolutely loves it.

I also butterfly the whole backstrap and pound it flat. I lay 4-6 slices of bacon, put the flattened backstrap on the bacon; spread cream cheese and diced fresh jalopenas and wrap it up in bacon. Bake it or grill it medium rare and you have a tastey treat. Don't forget the Tony's cajun seasoning!

#7 mcalpine

mcalpine

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 29 October 2010 - 05:11 PM

Add mushrooms and onions to the cream cheese.

#8 gendoc

gendoc

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Locationlowest bama

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

simular done here... we use a big-green-egg, wrap tl with split down green onion an garlic smoked wild hawg sausage in tin foil @ 350 till jusa bout done. then remove from foil an wrap fresh wild hawg done bacon wif lottsa fat, over 500 degree coals. real quick
sear to crisp. use various seasonings to your like'n, i do marinate tha tl with ital dressing. and i do my own processing too B)

#9 stephen simpson

stephen simpson

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:53 PM

i have never noticed freezer burn on the deer i have shot. my butcher wraps the meat in saran wrap and then in white butchers paper. it's good to go for a year, i don't think i've had any last longer then that.

#10 1HOOT1

1HOOT1

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:59 PM

Man that looks and sounds good!

#11 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 02 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

i have never noticed freezer burn on the deer i have shot. my butcher wraps the meat in saran wrap and then in white butchers paper. it's good to go for a year, i don't think i've had any last longer then that.

My guy does it the same way, no problem with it lasting a year...

Mike