Legal Transportation

• Please log in to reply

#1 Fieldtip

Fieldtip

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationS.E. Michigan

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

I was wondering, what is legal to transport a crossbow in a vehicle in Michigan (or any state). Bolt removed? Uncocked? In a case?

#2 dbllungem

dbllungem

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

I was wondering, what is legal to transport a crossbow in a vehicle in Michigan (or any state). Bolt removed? Uncocked? In a case?

For Michigan, the laws are the same as if you're transporting a firearm or vertical bow. "...unloaded and in a case, or unstrung, or carried in the trunk of a vehicle with a trunk, or when transported on an ORV equipped with and made inoperative by a manufactured keylocked trigger housing mechanism. These rules apply whether your vehicle is parked, stopped, moving, or is on private or public property".

#3 Fieldtip

Fieldtip

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationS.E. Michigan

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

Do they have to be uncocked, or just the bolt removed and in a case? If you hunted in the morning and wanted to go in for lunch and come back out for the afternoon, you might not want to shoot it to empty it. With a rifle you empty the chamber and remove the magazine and case it. Just a thought. I don't own one yet (Researching & shopping) and I might be getting ahead of myself with some of these questions.

#4 Jetster

Jetster

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

Do they have to be uncocked, or just the bolt removed and in a case? If you hunted in the morning and wanted to go in for lunch and come back out for the afternoon, you might not want to shoot it to empty it. With a rifle you empty the chamber and remove the magazine and case it. Just a thought. I don't own one yet (Researching & shopping) and I might be getting ahead of myself with some of these questions.

I would think it would be as long as there no arrow on the rail its un-loaded and legal to transport..... :unsure:

#5 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,453 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:32 PM

Just asking,why would you not shoot the crossbow to unload while at your hunting spot?
Then reload when you return.Carrying around a cocked crossbow,while not hunting or placing in a vehicle even with out the arrow can cause damage if accidently fired.

#6 Fieldtip

Fieldtip

• Members
  • 417 posts
  • LocationS.E. Michigan

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

Just asking,why would you not shoot the crossbow to unload while at your hunting spot?
Then reload when you return.Carrying around a cocked crossbow,while not hunting or placing in a vehicle even with out the arrow can cause damage if accidently fired.

Good point!
I was just wondering what the letter of the law considers "Legal". I would hate to be ticketed on a technicality!