View New Content Mark all as read |  

Looking for 100% American Made Crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 hdpacker

hdpacker

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

I am new at crossbow hunting and looking to buy a 100% Made in the USA crossbow. Do they exist? I was looking at Horton but I was told they moved production overseas this year. Please help!
Thanks

#2 Lscha

Lscha

Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  • LocationMichigan's Thumb

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

I am new at crossbow hunting and looking to buy a 100% Made in the USA crossbow. Do they exist? I was looking at Horton but I was told they moved production overseas this year. Please help!
Thanks

Good luck on that....but, Darton says their bows are all manufactured and assembled in Hale, Michigan.

#3 TenPoint Barb

TenPoint Barb

Industry Professional

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

The TenPoint's are 100% American made except for the scopes - you will be hard pressed to find American made scopes on any of the manufacturers products.

Barb

#4 Zrt1200

Zrt1200

• Members
  • 971 posts
  • LocationMId Michigan

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

Thanks

I know Parker bows are made here in the USA. I believe they are 100% but I am not certain.

#5 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Welcome to the Nation.

As Barb said, there are no U.S. made scopes. As far as the bows themselves go, I can tell you for certain that the Centerpoint (formerly Crosman) bows are in fact 100% made in the U.S.A.. I heard rumors that the Kodabow is also made here, and I'll have to take Barbs word for it that the Ten Point's are too. But I don't believe that there are any others. Many are assembled here with components made elsewhere, as in the Eastman/Darton, Horton, and Parker.

#6 StoredEnergy

StoredEnergy

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:20 AM

Welcome to CB Nation. I am sure that you will find great information here.

I would say that most of the cost effective product that you see for sale has some import parts on them.

#7 StoredEnergy

StoredEnergy

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:34 AM

Just so everyone doesn't think I am being a jerk I do want to point something out that is a bit of a dirty little secret.

If I contract JohnDoe Machine Company next door to my factory to company to make me 10,000 widgets. How he makes them is irrelevant. JohnDoe Machine can send my drawings to India and have those 10,000 widgets made, then repackaged and delivered to my factory. This widget is then installed into a larger "final" assembly I am technically allowed to claim that the assembly 100% US made. I paid a US manufacturer to make me those parts, my US factory then used said parts assemble the final product.

Or another example is that machine shop buys raw (castings, extrusions, whatever base material) from India because it is $0.45 a pound (a 30% savings) cheaper (and has no certs) and then machines the widgets he can also claim 100% US manufacture. Clearly the parts are not sourced 100% from the US.

Let me be very clear that I detest lies of omission but that is the reality of cut throat manufacture in the US and people are perfectly happy being technically correct.

I shan't say for the crossbow industry but in manufacturing of A LOT of this "paper trail shifting" is done every day. I have traveled to Asia for work and to visit third party factories to verify paperwork. I speak with first hand knowledge.

#8 Old Longhair

Old Longhair

Crazy Ol' Foole

• Members
  • 2,149 posts
  • LocationMid-Michigan Cornfields

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Just so everyone doesn't think I am being a jerk I do want to point something out that is a bit of a dirty little secret.

If I contract JohnDoe Machine Company next door to my factory to company to make me 10,000 widgets. How he makes them is irrelevant. JohnDoe Machine can send my drawings to India and have those 10,000 widgets made, then repackaged and delivered to my factory. This widget is then installed into a larger "final" assembly I am technically allowed to claim that the assembly 100% US made. I paid a US manufacturer to make me those parts, my US factory then used said parts assemble the final product.

Or another example is that machine shop buys raw (castings, extrusions, whatever base material) from India because it is $0.45 a pound (a 30% savings) cheaper (and has no certs) and then machines the widgets he can also claim 100% US manufacture. Clearly the parts are not sourced 100% from the US.

Let me be very clear that I detest lies of omission but that is the reality of cut throat manufacture in the US and people are perfectly happy being technically correct.

I shan't say for the crossbow industry but in manufacturing of A LOT of this "paper trail shifting" is done every day. I have traveled to Asia for work and to visit third party factories to verify paperwork. I speak with first hand knowledge.

I don't know about all of the manufacturers, but I know for a fact that California has very specific laws regarding the practice that you describe. If your box says "Made in the U.S.A. on it, everything in the box MUST be made here, or you'll be in for a legal battle that will cost you dearly.

CenterPoint (Crosman) does not put "Made inthe U.S.A." on their box for that very reason. Their scope, safety glasses, and rope cocker are imported. And since I had the pleasure of speaking with their division manager about this topic, I can assure you that all components of their bows themselves are indeed manufactured here in the U.S.. No paper shuffling or any other funny business!

#9 StoredEnergy

StoredEnergy

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

I specifically didn't want to go into the archery industry so I am not going there. I don't know the manufacture laws in CA and to be more specific I haven't worked in this capacity for any company that is west of the Mississippi.

My only point is that people think that 100% made in blank means exactly what they think it does. Some places if you actually spend more money on US made parts and labor (51%+ of total cost of manufacture) you can say Made in America without issue.

California is the exception not the rule but if anyone has specific experiences in other states, please PM me. It is a shame how the manufacturing base of CA is leaving but that is a function of taxation and that is a different issue entirely.

#10 Zrt1200

Zrt1200

• Members
  • 971 posts
  • LocationMId Michigan

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:15 PM

Welcome to the Nation.

As Barb said, there are no U.S. made scopes. As far as the bows themselves go, I can tell you for certain that the Centerpoint (formerly Crosman) bows are in fact 100% made in the U.S.A.. I heard rumors that the Kodabow is also made here, and I'll have to take Barbs word for it that the Ten Point's are too. But I don't believe that there are any others. Many are assembled here with components made elsewhere, as in the Eastman/Darton, Horton, and Parker.

I have a parker compound bow and crossbow and they both say made in the USA.

#11 Hunter2

Hunter2

• Members
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:41 PM

Welcome to the Nation.

#12 xbowguy

xbowguy

• Members
  • 789 posts
  • LocationN.E. Ohio

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

hdpacker

Guess we really need to know specifically what you’re looking for when you say "MADE" in America.

Just like you I want to support my country and countrymen.

Do you mean assembled? You know taking 100% of all the parts and putting them together in a building here in the USA? Or do you mean crossbows that are 100% assembled here with a 100% of their components which they use also being made here in the USA? If that is the case then you just may not find a crossbow that will meet your need. Even the manufacture that said there product was "100% American made" I believe is wrong. The component thing gets real tricky especially when it comes to things like fasteners. Something’s just can’t be sourced like scopes or red dots here in the states unless you want to spend really big bucks and then it’s still questionable.

Sometimes manufactures make decisions to go with parts outside of the country because they are actually better. When I was working at one of the then larger manufactures I made the decision to use a supplier outside of the states because they offered a superior product and had the technology and quality to support it.

What are your thoughts about that?

How far do you want to take it? What if my USA parts are made on a CNC Machining center that was made off shore?

Sad as it is, the reality is we just can’t do it today like we did years ago. America is no longer the manufacturing leader like it once was.

GOD BLESS THE USA and those who still care enough to fight for what’s right!

#13 rt2bowhunter

rt2bowhunter

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

100% made in the USA. Maybe not 100%.

This got me to thinking. There's a lot of great craftsmen making custom trad bows here in the USA. If you ordered a bow and wanted a Zebra wood riser. And we know that zebra wood trees don't grow in the USA. The bower imports the wood is the bow still made in the USA.

And as far as that goes. I made a bow all the wood is home grown. And i made it right here in the good old USA. But was every screw or clamp. I used to make the press made in the USA. Or the fire hose i used in the press made here.. How about the tools i used. Or even every piece of sand paper. I bought that they were all made in the USA.Is the bow i made,made in the USA.
IMO if a company was founded out side the USA. Like the Swiss or Excalibur bows i say fine. But a American company that moves over seas is different than one that might import a part or two.

#14 Hunter2

Hunter2

• Members
  • 3,836 posts
  • LocationWest Tennessee

Posted 24 July 2010 - 03:40 PM

Welcome to the Nation

#15 Zrt1200

Zrt1200

• Members
  • 971 posts
  • LocationMId Michigan

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Oh I for got. Welcome to the nation!!

#16 Buck Buster

Buck Buster

Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

Welcome, but who can you trust these days, in making someting like, "Made in". I got the cap from the NRA, and in the cap was?; made in China, hahahahaha, thats was my reaction to this. So be carefull in what you think is; "made in".