View New Content Mark all as read |  

What's the quietest crossbow?

• Please log in to reply

#1 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Every once in a while, someone asks about the "quietest crossbow".

Well, after receiving my new Desert Stryker yesterday....I can now say without a doubt, The Horton reCon 175 is notably quieter.

Do I own a decibel meter...no. For this test...one isn't needed, at all.

I cocked both bows, used varous arrows, but started with the versions that came (recommended) with each crossbow, then tried different ones.

Anyway, as I said, cocked each, inserted an arrow and shot one...then put an arrow into the other and shot. This is shots no more than 20 seconds apart.
This test was done indoors.

It's not even a close contest, the reCon has "about" half the human audable sound coming from it. Plus, if it means anything, it is also a lot lower pitched sound also.

So, if you can get past the looks and design...the reCon is quietest of the two bows that have been reputed as quiet.
One thing to note...some have put down the Bowjacks silencers, I do have two on the reCon. While they do work, the reCon is still...less noisy.

As with any of my posts, just my humble opinion.

Mike

#2 DaGriz

DaGriz

Banned

• Banned
  • 365 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:33 AM

I would think that quiet is a moot issue when talking about the DS or Ten Point Phantom. They shoot an arow fast enough that at normal hunting distances, no critter is going to "jump the string". For target practice it doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the bow is quiet or not.

Have to say I've not had any critter "jump the string" with any crossbow I've used from Barnett Commando to TenPoint Phantom.

#3 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,567 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

Interesting but I agree with Griz, largely a moot point. No crossbow is really quiet, not like a good vert. (By which standard folks often tend to judge them). I figure I'm getting only one shot with a crossbow, there will be no reloading necessary if I make it FAST, reasonably close and true.

#4 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:58 AM

The Desert Stryker is the quietest 350 fps crossbow I have shot. In the 290 to 300 fps range this is without a doubt the quietest crossbow I've ever shot ..................................and it weighs only 7.5 lbs.:)

Attached Images

• P1020905.JPG
  • P1020905.JPG

#5 StoredEnergy

StoredEnergy

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:59 AM

I have compiled every independent noise measurements for various xbows from internet sources.

This is a working collection that shows bow model, noise level and where the data came from. Hope is helps.

Tenpoint dB
Phantom Extra 94.7 AT wyvern crossbow
Shadow 90.7 AT wyvern crossbow
Curve 94.3 AT wyvern crossbow
GT Flex 90.7 AT wyvern crossbow
Stealth X2 90.1 crossbow-review.com
Curve 90.6 wyvern crossbow
Curve w LimbSaver 89.7 wyvern crossbow

Parker
Buckmaster 92.5 AT wyvern crossbow
Cyclone 89.7 AT wyvern crossbow
Cyclone @ ATA 91.3 AT wyvern crossbow

Bowtech
Stryker 88.8 AT wyvern crossbow
Desert Stryker 88.5 AT wyvern crossbow

Barnett
Revolution AVI 86.3 crossbow-review.com
Predator 86.0 crossbow-review.com

Excaliber
Equinox 93.5 crossbow-review.com
Equinox w/ flemish str. 91.8 crossbow-review.com
Phoenix 90.3 AT wyvern crossbow

Middleton
Middleton 180 w LimbSaver 86.3 AT wyvern crossbow

RDS
82.3 AT wyvern crossbow

Darton
Storm 90.9 AT wyvern crossbow
Lightning 93.1 AT wyvern crossbow

Horton
Recon 175 87.7 AT wyvern crossbow

#6 conductorguy

conductorguy

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well I hate to be the one to disagree with the string jumping theory but...If the arrow is traveling at less than the speed of sound ie. the sound gets to the deer before the arrow, then doesn't this mean that a deer has every oppurtunity to jump the string (actually they duck the arrow) for those who don't know...I believe that string jumping is a possibilty with any current crossbow made and will be an issue until or if we break the sound barrier with an arrow???

Just my 2cents
Terry

#7 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:51 AM

Not for the deer but for my own ears. I don't worry about the deer "jumping the string". The deer will hear the shot no matter what you do, whoever, if he's not alert to your presence, it's not likely he will duck down or roll sideways prior to being hit. If he is looking at you at 35 yards, for example, and ready to explode anyway, IMO, there is a good chance he won't be where he was when the arrow is released resulting in a clean miss or a bad hit.

I'll never forget the first long (45 yards) shot I ever took with a 48 lb Bear recurve back in 1964. The deer was already spooked and looking directly at me. By the time the arrow got there he was 20 yards from where he was standing when I released the arrow. Yes, I felt like an idiot:D

#8 dougedwards

dougedwards

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:46 PM

Well I hate to be the one to disagree with the string jumping theory but...If the arrow is traveling at less than the speed of sound ie. the sound gets to the deer before the arrow, then doesn't this mean that a deer has every oppurtunity to jump the string (actually they duck the arrow) for those who don't know...I believe that string jumping is a possibilty with any current crossbow made and will be an issue until or if we break the sound barrier with an arrow???

Just my 2cents
Terry

Sound waves travel at approx 1129 fps in dry air at 68 degrees. Even a crossbow that shoots an arrow at 350 fps can't sustain that speed for even 20 yards. Even if the arrow could maintain it's original speed it would reach the deer about .12 seconds after the deer hears it. Even the most jittery whitetail would have a hard time dodging in that timeframe. Continue the assumption about the arrow speed out to 35 yards and we have a much different scenario. Now the deer has about 1/4 of a second to react. Anyone who has done any bowhunting at all knows that a whitetail can drastically change it's position in that time frame.

I recently shot the Recon and was astonished at not only how quiet it was but also how deep the sound of the release was. No "twang" at all. Only a deep "thump". Whitetails hear rather loud sounds all the time that don't particularly alert them. However the slightest "strange' sound that they hear will send them into contortions.

My problem with the Recon is it's weight. I sure wouldn't want to lug that thing very far over tough terrain. Overall it seems to be a very nice crossbow.

Doug

#9 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 896 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

Jeeze guys...this post was supposed to be for the "I want a quiet crossbow" crowd.

You know...the ones that expect the horizontal and vertical bow to sound the same..!

It wasn't ment to start a "mines better/bigger than yours" discussion.

???????????

Mike

#10 BarnettXBows

BarnettXBows

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:38 PM

IIRC vertical bows are in the high 70's to very low 80's in noise. It will be a long time before crossbows are as quiet as vertical bows.

Noise figures aside a guaranteed pass through vitals yields a humane harvest.

#11 conductorguy

conductorguy

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

I'm sorry for hi-jacking this post...lol I got off on a tangent my crossbow seems realy loud to my ears about like a 22subsonic it's a parker hurricane

#12 dougedwards

dougedwards

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

Jeeze guys...this post was supposed to be for the "I want a quiet crossbow" crowd.

You know...the ones that expect the horizontal and vertical bow to sound the same..!

It wasn't ment to start a "mines better/bigger than yours" discussion.

???????????

Mike

Ok then........someone tell me how to fill the exomax rail with foam and how that softens the sound of release. Let's get into how we can make our crossbows quieter other than buying a Recon.

#13 kennisondan

kennisondan

• Members
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 08:06 PM

my terminator is not what I would call quiet.. I agree that over 20 yards I had best be taking a shot when the head goes down to eat or otherwise there is distraction away from me...
I do not see much way to make it quieter at this point .. not yet anyway.. am not sure the stock is noisy.. or that it can be modified to be quieter... I wonder about the arrows part in the noise .. whether filling them with rope would quieten the whole thing down or not...or whether getting them a ton heavier would make them much more quiet...
I doubt it would ever be quiet enough for a deer not to find it alarming if he is already spooky... and has focused on me already... probably not...
any info on a heavier arrow being a lot quieter... ? saw that on another forum done in brasil and the claim was much quieter, IIRC>
dk

#14 Moon

Moon

• Members
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:48 PM

"It wasn't ment to start a "mines better/bigger than yours" discussion". Over and over:D

The Excal barrel is easy to stuff with foam BUT it doesn't do much good IMO.

#15 oldbhtrnewequip

oldbhtrnewequip

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 06:53 AM

Sound waves travel at approx 1129 fps in dry air at 68 degrees. Even a crossbow that shoots an arrow at 350 fps can't sustain that speed for even 20 yards. Even if the arrow could maintain it's original speed it would reach the deer about .12 seconds after the deer hears it. Even the most jittery whitetail would have a hard time dodging in that timeframe. Continue the assumption about the arrow speed out to 35 yards and we have a much different scenario. Now the deer has about 1/4 of a second to react. Anyone who has done any bowhunting at all knows that a whitetail can drastically change it's position in that time frame.

I recently shot the Recon and was astonished at not only how quiet it was but also how deep the sound of the release was. No "twang" at all. Only a deep "thump". Whitetails hear rather loud sounds all the time that don't particularly alert them. However the slightest "strange' sound that they hear will send them into contortions.

My problem with the Recon is it's weight. I sure wouldn't want to lug that thing very far over tough terrain. Overall it seems to be a very nice crossbow.

Doug

Doug,

Have you tested your arrows for speed at different yardages?
I'd like to get some data points for blazers at 5,10,15,20,25,30, and 35 yards.
Do you have a chrono?

I think the tuning of the bow,, fletching/feathers decision, and broadhead chioce all have an impact on speed loss due to drag. I think many different setups will have different losses.

I hope someone (you?) has some data out there, similar to the collection of DB readings.

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Pete

#16 StoredEnergy

StoredEnergy

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:08 AM

Crossbows seem quieter shooting heavier arrows than lighter arrows.

#17 dougedwards

dougedwards

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

Doug,

Have you tested your arrows for speed at different yardages?
I'd like to get some data points for blazers at 5,10,15,20,25,30, and 35 yards.
Do you have a chrono?

I think the tuning of the bow,, fletching/feathers decision, and broadhead chioce all have an impact on speed loss due to drag. I think many different setups will have different losses.

I hope someone (you?) has some data out there, similar to the collection of DB readings.

Thanks in advance :D

Pete

Pete......I think what you are asking is if I have data for the speed of my arrows at varying distances. I do not. Even though I have a chrony I have been reluctant to test the speed of arrows with broadheads because I have shot up two chronographs with my muzzleloader. Actually I could measure the speeds by setting the chrony right next to the target at varying distances. I will attempt that this weekend. My arrows are Beman Thunderbolts tipped with 125gr Magnus Stingers and lumenok nocks. No brass inserts. I have never seen the data of arrow speeds at distances from the crossbow but I bet there are some out there.

Doug

#18 vaguru

vaguru

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:20 PM

You can try this link, http://home.att.net/...ballistics.html, or go to Excalibur for answers to arrow speeds at different distances. Excalibur only goes out to 50 yds, Jckson goes to 100 yds. I tried another ballistics table also but I believed it to be way off. Jacksons chart with your KNOWN speed is close. You can also use it to figure what you would gain/lose with more speed or more weight.

My main noise issue is when I cock my Terminator 175HP. The hooks rub the side of the stock squeaking/squealing the whole way. Don't have this problem with the Buckbuster 150. I know, I know, Jig a Loo!

Edited by vaguru, 16 September 2008 - 12:24 PM.

#19 oldbhtrnewequip

oldbhtrnewequip

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

You can try this link, http://home.att.net/...ballistics.html, or go to Excalibur for answers to arrow speeds at different distances. Excalibur only goes out to 50 yds, Jckson goes to 100 yds. I tried another ballistics table also but I believed it to be way off. Jacksons chart with your KNOWN speed is close. You can also use it to figure what you would gain/lose with more speed or more weight.

My main noise issue is when I cock my Terminator 175HP. The hooks rub the side of the stock squeaking/squealing the whole way. Don't have this problem with the Buckbuster 150. I know, I know, Jig a Loo!

Looks like I'm losing 4.3 fps every 10 yards with an exomax starting at 325 with 400 grain arrows...assuming of course that's what I'm getting off the rail.

#20 vaguru

vaguru

• Members
  • 971 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:31 AM

oldbhtr,

If you are using the same arrow weight as what is listed in the chart, the answer is yes. Have you chronoed your arrow? This is the only way to know for sure. I can attest to the fact that the charts are very close to actual from what I have done, chrono and drop test shooting. I did find that all the charts eventually have errors, due to YOUR exact arrow confiquration. Vanes play a BIG part in this as the softer ones flex more upon shooting than the stiffer ones, making more noise as they flutter loosing velocity. The noise comes from vane flutter, flutter is drag, net is less velocity. The angle of the fletch also enters into this drag. Straight fletch have less drag, use just enough to stablize, any more is velocity loss.

I'm going to try different vanes just to see which produce the least noise in my next test. I love to tinker! If you stand about 5-10 yds in front of, and 3-5 yds to the side of the arrow flight path when some shoots the xbow you will hear the vane flutter. The quieter it is, the less flutter, the less drag. My son actually recorded an arrow fight with his cell phone from this position. You just have to hear it yourself.

This is one reason the Blazers and their kind work so well, stiff vane with adequate surface area to control flight.

In conclusion, I am more concerned with arrow flight noise than I am with discharge noise from the xbow. The discharge noise is short lived, maybe getting the games attention, but the arrow noise is constant until flight stops. Game can hear this flight noise, as I can, and may be able to "hone" in on it and move, especially if they had a "fix" on the discharge noise. BTW, I can hear the arrows flying out of my vertical bow too, they aren't as loud because they aren't going as fast. If you shoot unalerted game, probably makes no difference. I never had a deer or bear move out of the way of one of my vertical bow shot arrows.