View New Content Mark all as read |  

do u use the dial a range ?

• Please log in to reply

#1 thunderbutt

thunderbutt

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

do you use the dial a range on your horton ? i have not played with it yet. i have mine set at 0 and use the three line scope. seems the 10X brand scopes are lined for 20-25-30 yds the targets are my range i go to are 20-40-60 yds i can do ok at 20 and 40 yds after that not so good. so i think i will just keep it under 40 yds. i'm afraid with the dial a range thing i will forget to change it. and be way off. one thing about the range thing is a pain to me is trying to reach over or around the knob to reach the safety.

#2 DaGriz

DaGriz

Banned

• Banned
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:34 AM

My experience is the Dial O Range is the biggest piece of garbage that Horton has ever put on a crossbow! Mine constantly moved when I didn't want them to and were not anywhere never accurate or consistent I epoxied mine in the level position and never looked back!!!

Edited by SPECIALIZED, 05 April 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#3 bakabob

bakabob

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 08:16 AM

NO, I have two hortons and leave both of them set so they are horizontal to the bow to lessen the chance of the rope cocker of catching them and changing them unitentionaly. A dab of epoxy to help is a good idea.

#4 Guide Girl

Guide Girl

Obsessed Huntress

• Members
  • 5,636 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Before crossbows had scopes, especially lined scopes I used mine all the time, and depended on it heavily. I still used it and depended on it when I took the peep sights off my bow and replaced them with a single dot red dot scope. It made shooting more accurate and helped acquire the target quickly, for sure. They don't seem to be as necessary now a days with the scope options most people use, but when you are shooting peeps, they are a GODSEND. Scopes are pretty new to the past 8 years or so.

Let me give you a benefit to having them. I was in Africa, way far away from any sporting goods store, and my scope ring broke and wouldn't hold my scope in place to enable me to shoot accurately. We rigged it, but about every third shot the scope would fly off the bow. So instead of traveling all that way and having to quit my hunt of a lifetime because of the problem, I went back to the lodge one afternoon, and dug out the set up for my old peep sight and put it back on my bow and sighted in the bow again, so I could continue my hunt. It saved me. I had the best hunt ever! I shot the world record WARTHOG after that. When in a hunting situation like that, you don't know what your shooting distance will be and you need to be as prepared as possible to shoot different distances. That dial a range saved me and my hunt and my chance at that world record Warthog. So to me, having it available for IF and WHEN I need it, it's worth it's weight in gold.

Edited by Guide Girl, 22 September 2008 - 10:57 AM.

#5 thunderbutt

thunderbutt

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

i just got looking real good at my bow horton legend II it has a 10X brand scope on it looks like the 10X rings and scope rail. i have my dial a range set at 0 i moved it a but to 2, 3 then to 0. i was not sure but did not look right. got out my dial calipers and the rear of my scope tube is a little over a 1/8 higher than the front of the tube. so do i need to cut down that aluminum rod for the adjustment to get it level with the top rail ? that's my guess anyway. i also thought i read some place that there is some kind of an adapter or something that's needed to mount a 10X scope on a horton :rolleyes:

#6 beervo2

beervo2

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOtisville,MI

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:38 PM

My experience is the Dial O Range is the biggest piece of garbage that Horton has ever put on a crossbow! Mine constantly moved when I didn't want them to and were not anywhere never accurate or consistent I epoxied mine in the level position and never looked back!!!

RIGHT ONNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Edited by SPECIALIZED, 05 April 2010 - 06:26 PM.

#7 DaGriz

DaGriz

Banned

• Banned
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

RIGHT ONNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Yup, that is correct!!! The majority of people I know agree that the Dial O Range is the biggest POS that Horton has ever incorporated into a CB!!

#8 longbow26

longbow26

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 11:50 PM

I use the dial range on my Horton Summit HD 150. The one i baught dint come wiht a red dot in the packadge it instead had teh weaver bar ontop. So to save monies after buying teh crossbow and the Horton crank devise i baught a single dot red dot scope. I had the dail set at 0 and sighted in at 6 yards, ( 6 yards is my basment longest distance ) When i was able to get to range i fin tund the 0 to 10 yards and the click to 1 was dead on for 20 yards. The click for 2 was 8 inches low at 30 yards. On a sugestion from a freind I sighted 0 at 5 yards dead on and then checked 0 at 10 yards its 1 inch low but click 1 is dead on for 20 yards and now click 2 is 2 inches low at 30 yards.

I have been shooting 300 bolts a day out of it every evening now for 2 weeks and it has not changed.

I did figer out that in oder to move from 2 back to 1 you have to go all way to up the count past 9 to 0 to get to 1 or it does not want to setle corectly.

#9 SPECIALIZED

SPECIALIZED

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 5,447 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:34 AM

I use the dial range on my Horton Summit HD 150.

I have been shooting 300 bolts a day out of it every evening now for 2 weeks and it has not changed.

WOW!longbow, 300 ,Arrows a day,that must take hours.
That is the most practice I have ever heard of.

#10 longbow26

longbow26

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:23 AM

2 reasons for the amount of practice. The crossbow is new to me. I got it on 7-23-08 and i am making up for lsot time in practice. Since i sit at home not doing much once between the time i take son to school and pick him up, i shoot the crossbow at my 6 yards in the basement. I cant shoot it out in my yard since there is a ordanence against discharging fire arms in our town and bows and crossbows are aplied to that ordanence.
I just want to make shure that when I do get a chance to shot a deer or terky that i get a presise shoot for a quick and human kill. Also this is the first red dot I have used and i am getting usto it. I use open sites on my rifles and pistols.
I still shoot my compound bow 60 times a day with the mouth tab so my mouth and neck dont loose there ability to holld a 40 pound bow. Just incase for soem reason i have to still hunt with the compound instead of the crossbow. Another reason is I not find a 3d ternament that allows crossbows to be used in plase of compounds and on ocasion i get a chance to go to a bow shoot.

#11 Hoss

Hoss

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:47 AM

SPECIALIZED,
When I was testing the Recon 175, I was averaging 80 - 82 per hour. That was just shooting to put the shot count on.
I would normally shoot 100 - 150 in practice, which I believe you are more use to. That was over 4 hours though.

Longbow26,
God bless you man!!!
Keep it up.

Thanks,
Hoss

#12 Big-Bird-VA

Big-Bird-VA

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:42 PM

Tenpoint had a similar device on some older xbows. I thought I had it locked down but it moved on me while sighting in. It cost me a Sika deer and not just any Sika, a really nice one. They're nothing but a problem waiting to happen.

#13 edmcclaskey

edmcclaskey

Banned

• Banned
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:22 PM

The dial a range is good thing, if you practice with it it, allows you to shoot at very long ranges...it extends your shooting distance range,,get out in a big field and practice with it,
if your not going to use it it, glue it in place ,number one,

#14 thunderbutt

thunderbutt

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:48 PM

i did some work on my scope mount last night. my scope was not parallel with the rail. the rear of the scope and mount was high in the rear low in front. what i had to do was take out the alum. pin for the dial a range i needed to file it down to shorten it. even with the lowest setting set at zero rear of scope was high. so i had to file some put it back together 4 times now it is parallel with the scope still still 15 thousandths high in rear but i think that's close enough. i also reset the scope to where it is 90 degrees to he rail. scope was canted a bit to the right. i used a bubble level so top cap on scope is the same as the rail. then i used some lock tite sumo glue in the dial for the dial a range. not going to move now. i will take it to the range this after noon to re sight it in

#15 thunderbutt

thunderbutt

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:57 PM

just got back from the range. did all that work for nothing. did not have enough adjustment in scope elevation it to get to shoot high enough. had to raise it back up again. oh well i thought it was a good idea at the time. but i did shoot some very good groups today 20 yd great 40 yds very good. now 50 yds not that great. about 10 " group is the best i could go. i'm using cheap walmart $4.00 alum 2219 bolts with 100 gr target points. i will get some better arrows in time and try different gr. points. for now this is all i have to use. now if i can ever hold the point of aim instead of sight dot wandering all over never could do that even with a rifle. :eek: