View New Content Mark all as read |  

Cocked crossbow

• Please log in to reply

#1 James

James

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

How long a period of time is it OK to leave your Xbow cocked, (string in fire position).
Is it OK to leave it overnight or should the bow be de-cocked or fired at the end of the
day.

#2 outrunner13

outrunner13

• Members
  • 182 posts
  • Locationbrooksville fla

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:40 AM

each one is differant barnett recommend 4-5 then rest for 30 mins i would not leave it cocked over night and i would fire at the end of the hunt every night

#3 hunthard

hunthard

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:23 PM

I agree with outrunner wouldnt leave any crossbow cocked and locked for more than a day

#4 Dean

Dean

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:48 PM

I agree with outrunner wouldnt leave any crossbow cocked and locked for more than a day

From a safety standpoint, I would not want an unattended crossbow cocked even if there was no bolt in it.

#5 deerlvr

deerlvr

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:34 PM

This is my first season with a crossbow. I hunt most from portable stands. I will admit, I am quite nervous lowering my crossbow to the ground as well as returning to my vehicle with it still cocked. My quiver only holds three arrows so I really like three broadhead arrows in there. Plus it wouldn't do me much good to discharge into ground when I climbed down or I'd just be donating arrows and littering as I'm quite sure they'd bury so deep I'd never be able to retrieve them or use them again. I like to treat it as it appears a "loaded" gun even though the bolt is removed. Lots of power/energy stored in that string and limbs. Just my opinion as a newbie.

#6 dropzone

dropzone

• Members
  • 2,015 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

I carry a old arrow with a field point with me hunting and shoot it into the ground after the hunt. If it gets lost no big deal it's no good anyway. I'm not comfortable caring my bow around cocked.

#7 Cossack

Cossack

Incurable Tinkerer

• Members
  • 3,676 posts
  • LocationNo MN

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

I carry a old arrow with a field point with me hunting and shoot it into the ground after the hunt. If it gets lost no big deal it's no good anyway. I'm not comfortable caring my bow around cocked.

I hunt mostly with my Excals. uncoking with the rope cocker is simple and safe, no shooting involved. Have also done it with my compound, definitely not as as safe esp if it's getting dark.

#8 Cajun Executioner

Cajun Executioner

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:02 PM

I have a +/- 300 yd walk to my stand and another 100 yds to my ground blind. I always walk with it cocked in case I walk up on a deer. I discharge it when I get back to camp.

#9 hunthard

hunthard

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

From a safety standpoint, I would not want an unattended crossbow cocked even if there was no bolt in it.

i was talking about a day of hunting and nobody in their right mind would leave a cocked one unattended.

#10 See4miles

See4miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 772 posts
  • LocationSt. Helen, MI (Home of Heston)

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

As Cossack has already said, using a rope cocker to de-cock an Excal is an easy way to do the deed. As for keeping your bow cocked all day, that is another area the Excal shines. There are stories of these bows being left cocked for a week or more at a time and suffering no ill effects to velocity or accuracy. Simple is a beautiful thing!

#11 KLS

KLS

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationJackson county, WI

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:56 AM

there was a story floating around a while back about someone finding an excal in a closet that had been left cocked for YEARS(5+ if i remember right), from what i remember of the story all they did was replace the string and it shot like new

#12 rgarey77

rgarey77

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

WOW, you never know.

#13 rgarey77

rgarey77

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:52 PM

After more thought I don't think that is possible the trigger claw would most likely have cut through the string.