Crossbow Nation banner

Compound bow broadheads vs. Crossbow broadheads

50K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Cactus 
#1 ·
I just got my first crossbow and was wondering if I can use my compound bow broadheads for my crossbow? Or do you have to use broadheads made especially designed for crossbows? I have heard mixed reviews on this topic. My second question is are fixed blades better or mechanical?

#2 ·
Two very good questions. Some broadheads can be used on both. You will just have to shoot them to see. Also fixed or expandables is your choice. Many have trouble with fixed but some do not. I myself shoot Spitfire expandables the same ones I shot out of my vertical.

#4 ·
The Grim Reapers that I use are not the crossbow ones and they work fine. I used to use NAP spitfires from the vertical bow and used the same in the crossbow. No problems with the NAP either. I don't get too excited about the crossbow specific broadheads.

#5 ·
shoot mechanicals

#6 ·
I've heard alot of debate on the difference between standard broadheads and crossbow broadheads.
It pretty much comes down to this: "speed". In my jackal (315) fps I can just about use any broadhead and have consistent patterns.
In my quad 400 (345) fps I get my best consistency using a crossbow fixed blade or a standard and/or crossbow mechanical.
In my ghost 400 (406) fps my best accuracy is from a crossbow mechanical.
On all my crossbows I use Grim Reaper Xbow razortip mechanicals. I've shot many broadheads to find those conclusions. It was an expensive quest, but I can't put a price on wanting accurate, good, clean kills on the animals I hunt.
I hope that info helps you.

#7 ·
I also shoot the Grim Reaper Xbow razortip mechanicals after trying many others, including other Grim Reapers.

#8 ·
My rocket steelheads fly as good out of my xbow s they did my verticle bow.........no adjustments needed.:)

#9 ·
You should choose the broadheads based on what you hunt. I hunt moose, big critters, penetration trumps speed so I use 2 blade cut on contact. For deer, I would probably go with expandables. I think hog hunters would use fixed 3 or 4 blades. It all depends on the target and your preferences.

Reactions: PALLBEARER
#10 ·
schneep said:
I also shoot the Grim Reaper Xbow razortip mechanicals after trying many others, including other Grim Reapers.
Same here. Razor tip 100, But just started using the 2" crossbow ones.Getting pass through and sticking dirt was a waste. I still get pass through but even bigger hole.

#11 ·
Think I'd give em a shot (literally) and see what happens. Xbow arrows prefer a higher FOC which is why xbow specific broadheads are usually heavier. You can use heavier inserts to adjust your FOC and still shoot regular broadheads as well. Hope that helps.

#13 ·
I shot Slick Tricks (100 grain) out of my vertical bow, I shot Deer, Moose, Bear, Kudu, Impala, Warthog and Russian Boar with them all sucessfully. I used the same Slick Trick on my Crossbows and have taken Texas Exotics ( sheep), whitetail, Mule deer and Bears with the Crossbow, all were pass throughs. I would advise that you pick a strong BH and use it for all game up to Moose size, changing from one to another according to the game you hunt is a recipe for disaster, as the weight of your arrow and flight characteristics also changes, you have to either resight your sight/scope or remember to aim high or low IMO not worth the hassle nor the wounded game. Cactus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.