Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what other shooters' experiences have been with trying .003 bolts at 100yds? I don't have any .001 bolts, but I was wondering if I should purchase them if I plan to shoot at 100yds, or if sticking with the .003 bolts is just fine.
Thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I really see no meaningful difference. Maybe invest in some custom arrows from south shore archery. The Ravin 001s are not any better than the 003s imho.

·
Registered
496 Posts
For strictly deer hunting, the .003 are fine. You should be able to hit a softball size circle at 100 yards, although I don't personally take that long of shots at deer. 80 yards is my limit. I shoot South Shore custom Spynal Tapps in my R20, and in my R10, but am using up my .003 lighted Ravin arrows from a couple of years ago in this year's hunt with my R10. I can hit dimes with them fairly consistently out to 110 yards with my setup. Don't think using .003 Ravin arrows is an issue especially at 70 yards and under.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering what other shooters' experiences have been with trying .003 bolts at 100yds? I don't have any .001 bolts, but I was wondering if I should purchase them if I plan to shoot at 100yds, or if sticking with the .003 bolts is just fine.
Thanks
I really see no meaningful difference. Maybe invest in some custom arrows from south shore archery. The Ravin 001s are not any better than the 003s imho.
Ok, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For strictly deer hunting, the .003 are fine. You should be able to hit a softball size circle at 100 yards, although I don't personally take that long of shots at deer. 80 yards is my limit. I shoot South Shore custom Spynal Tapps in my R20, and in my R10, but am using up my .003 lighted Ravin arrows from a couple of years ago in this year's hunt with my R10. I can hit dimes with them fairly consistently out to 110 yards with my setup. Don't think using .003 Ravin arrows is an issue especially at 70 yards and under.
That's good to know. I don't plan to shoot deer at 100yds, but I would like to occasionally target shoot at that range. I'll plan to stick with the .003's for now.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
I shoot both the 0.003 and 0.001 Ravins.
Cannot say that I have actually compared the 2, both are deadly out to 50 - 60 yards.

A Member on here, Sam something, if I recall correctly, did some comprehensive tests shooting out to 100 with the 0.003 and posted several videos.
His shooting was bang on.

If I was you and doing competitive target shooting, I would use the 0.001.
Otherwise, probably very little difference between the 2 after you culled your 6 or 12 pack.

BTW, I am no expert by any means and if I can find Sam's videos I will post them.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Sam the Field Archer?
No I would remember him.
This Member, if it was a "sam", has not posted in a couple months but I did see 3 4 videos of him shooting and testing Ravin's performance.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
This is the Member:

srcarlso

If you see his threads, he has some good videos esp. one with 0.003 arrows at long distance.
Well I stand corrected, maybe it wasn't videos, maybe pics only but here is some testing results:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thanks
I recently shot 2 groups of same 3 (0.003 " ) arrows to 100 yards. It was my first. I was happy with the results.
The 3 arrow pattern was almost repeated. #5 arrow fell about an inch on the 2nd try while #6 and #7 hit close to the same spot. #6 hit the 🎯 each time.
I captured the 2nd attempt results but the 1st was best at under 2".
The arrows are from a matched dozen.

20200726_215604.jpg

2nd photo is of my 115 yard shot with #6 a couple days later.
You can see video if you like.

20200816_181956.jpg

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shoot both the 0.003 and 0.001 Ravins.
Cannot say that I have actually compared the 2, both are deadly out to 50 - 60 yards.

A Member on here, Sam something, if I recall correctly, did some comprehensive tests shooting out to 100 with the 0.003 and posted several videos.
His shooting was bang on.

If I was you and doing competitive target shooting, I would use the 0.001.
Otherwise, probably very little difference between the 2 after you culled your 6 or 12 pack.

BTW, I am no expert by any means and if I can find Sam's videos I will post them.
Sounds good, THanks. If you find the videos I'd like to see them. THanks again!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Reactions: dynamo61
1 - 15 of 15 Posts