Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have been blessed and am getting my first cross bow this week, I have a ton of questions

Is there a web site that break it down Like crossbow for dummies?

I have been shooting the regular bow for 20+ years, but I want to learn as much as i can about the do and dont's of the crossbow

·
342 Posts
Well, get busy asking...there are a ton of people here that will help you out...myself included. This is the perfect site for learning!:)

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here a few questions

Can you use custom made strings on crossbow?

Can you use wraps?

I read about a arrow clip? what is it?

Is there any pro's or cons over expandable broadhead's ?

Can trigger work be done on a crossbow?

With the power coming out of a crossbow, will smaller vanes be ok?
I will ask more as I think

thanks

Rich

·
224 Posts
Can you use custom made strings on crossbow?

yes...there are a few guys that make them...
some sell them. I got mine from 'boo'

Can you use wraps?

yes

I read about a arrow clip? what is it?

don't know

Is there any pro's or cons over expandable broadhead's ?

one or two of each :)
fly like field tips, much bigger cutting surfaces, no planing, great
in windy conditions

don't always open, not as strong, lower penetration. open in flight.
double banding required at higher speeds.

Can trigger work be done on a crossbow?

sure...if you know exactly what you're doing. Some here do it.
Plan on it invalidating any warranty you get on a new purchase.
You may want to buy one that doesn't need trigger work in the first place ?

With the power coming out of a crossbow, will smaller vanes be ok?

many (most?) here like 2" blazers.

thanks

YW :)

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

The arrow clip I read about was in a ad for limb savers it came with a arrow clip silencer ?

So I was just wondering what it was?

So when it comes to head I have always used magnus stingers and montecs and slick tricks. Are these type of heads ok with a cross bow or it personal pref?

·
38 Posts
The clip is the flat metal (spring steel) part that holds the arrow down against the rail.
They can hit the rail as the arrow passes out from under them and cause noise.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wabi said:
The clip is the flat metal (spring steel) part that holds the arrow down against the rail.
They can hit the rail as the arrow passes out from under them and cause noise.
Can you put a piece of felt there like you do a bow rest?

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Okay, since I've been stressing my mind on how to get a crossbow in your hands, you're gonna have to share how you finally aquired one, and which brand and model if you know already. I'm so happy for you! Welcome to the world of crossbow hunting!

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My story

making a seperate post

·
38 Posts
mideerslayer said:
Can you put a piece of felt there like you do a bow rest?
Any thin material such as felt or "moleskin" should work. Just be sure it's secure and loading an arrow won't tear it off.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I've found that the woolly side of adhesive Velcro sticks well and work to silence the arrow clip.
The wraps work but since CB arrows are larger in circumference use the wrap that is 1.25" wide. Personally, I use white spray lacquer with a overspray that matches the vanes at the leading edge. Comes off easier to refletch and glue sticks to it well.
Trigger work can be tricky. My Parker has a straightforward design so it's easy to polish the articulating surfaces or change out a spring. Hear that Excals are a bit more complicated.
Have a looks at Boo's Flemish strings. I make my own but he has helped me a lot and really knows what he's doing. Nice guy too.
I'm finding that Gold Tip Lazer II's, with 100 gr brass inserts and 2" Blazers make great arrows. They have a FOC ratio (front of center) well over 20%, with 100 gr tips, and fly like darts.
No experience with expandibles. See no reason to change from Slick Trick Mags. They are a GREAT broadhead. Have one that has been through two ....deer so far.
I find that short, 4 sided broadheads fly accurately and have good terminal performance ( penetration and hemorrhage).
Holler if you need anything else. Great bunch of helpful guys here .

·
Banned
364 Posts
Two pieces of shrink tubing on the arrow rentention clip works great PUt one on and shrionk it then put anopther piece over the first and shrink it. All you need is about 1" long pieces. You can shrink them with a cigarette BIC lighter if you are careful, or a hair dryer

·
Banned
364 Posts
Never thought much of expandable broadheads Been using fixed baldes for 40+ yuears and nvere had a problem Some guys love expandables, too each his own. Like Cossack, I love Slick Tricks, also use Muzzy 4blade. Deer don't much care what they are shot with, dead is dead! :rolleyes:

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Funny thing is I went to the Gander Mountain yesterday and they had a few x-bow's and I was able to hold one for the first time in my life and it felt so natural

I am like a kid on christmas morning, I am so looking forward to getting into crossbow and not just for hunting. I love archery and this my new avenue:)

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
Here's a few tips no one thought to post yet, lol. Blue [never red] Loc-tite the screws when you assemble it. Mark your string while "at rest" w/ white out on either side of the rail so you can check it's centered when you cock it. Put a small piece of masking tape on inside of limb w/ "Arrow Dummy" on it to remind yourself to never dry fire the bow.

Also, another vote for Cossack's arrow/bhead set up as described in his post.
Have fun!!

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
awshucks said:
Here's a few tips no one thought to post yet, lol. Blue [never red] Loc-tite the screws when you assemble it. Mark your string while "at rest" w/ white out on either side of the rail so you can check it's centered when you cock it. Put a small piece of masking tape on inside of limb w/ "Arrow Dummy" on it to remind yourself to never dry fire the bow.

Also, another vote for Cossack's arrow/bhead set up as described in his post.
Have fun!!
red lock tite? that is what I have used on other things is there a difference with the blue?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Quote: "Mark your string while "at rest" w/ white out on either side of the rail so you can check it's centered when you cock it."
Or, use a cocking rope which automatically centers the string. No need to be looking for little white marks in the early dawn.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cossack said:
Quote: Or, use a cocking rope which automatically centers the string. No need to be looking for little white marks in the early dawn.
Good because I have a hard enough time finding my blind some days let alone looking for that little mark:D

·
342 Posts
See...I told ya all of these guys & gals would come thru...a great group for info!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts