Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been watching the young stud pictured below for a couple of months now. Opening morning I was in my ground blind by 06:00 Just enough light was breaking to see silhouettes and I could make out enough of two objects about 20 yds off my starboard bow. One was the young stud himself! I could see his antlers due to being light in color however I just could not get comfortable with an acceptable sight picture and had to let him walk...

Odd how a buck's neck looks kind of skinny this time of year prior to the rut coming on isn't it?
Played golf Sunday went out Sunday afternoon to my ladder stand and just could not stand the heat (I grew up in Vermont)...

Went back to my ground blind again Monday and the time frame he typically moves through that area came and went. I noticed movement off my port bow and saw two doe bearing down on me. I picked the largest of the two, got a great sight picture, waited for her to step out from behind a big oak and chucked a dart through both lungs.

My mission bow continues to impress me, four deer last year and one so far this season. This was my first harvest with my new ST's from Jerry & Eric and using TG tit x 4 blade mech by recommendation of SEW. Omg! Never saw such an internal mess! And I thought I was impressed last year with the Ramcat 125 fixed I was using...

I'll be back in my ground blind hoping to see the young stud early tomorrow morning!

Cheers!
WTZ

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, however these are the choices I have around me...

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice looking young un. Not legal here.
I'm all for the state wide conservation and size minimums, but lots of places have little basket 8 points that are all they will ever be and are still below the 13 inch minimum. Genetics will trump age. Get them in a good combination, and you have something though.

Reactions: whitetailzombie

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The area I'm hunting is only 15 acres cut out of 100. The family that owns it asked me to cull the deer due to the damage to their garden/crops. All the deer are small there however still a challenge to harvest AND it is great meat.

We are allowed two bucks of which one has to be a minimum of 4 points on one side + 10 doe. Just a little overpopulated here huh? I'd love to harvest a monster and perhaps one day I will again. Until then I will fill my freezer with what the good Lord sends my way with the exception of a fawn...

Good luck this season!
WTZ

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
Congrats! It's been hot or rainy or both for me. Finally cooler this evening and hope to see something.

Reactions: whitetailzombie

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was born and bred in Scotland and we can only use a rifle here for deer. I have a swat xp on the way for target shooting and for my property in PA. I have 160acres in PA that I bought this year, I got it for my retirement in 12 years, I am taking early retirement and moving to the US. But anytime I go shooting I always take last year's calf, as I find they are more tender and tasty than an old doe. We have Red Deer, Sika, Fallow, and Roe Deer in Scotland. The Roe deer is the best tasting of any deer. I have shot and ate them all. What does whitetail taste like is it very gamey. So if anyone would like to come hunting with me next year in exchange for teaching me how to hunt with the crossbow as I have never shot a deer with an arrow or had to use scent control. It would be much appreciated. Thanks, rant over lol

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I quit eating beef years ago and eat venison instead. I have to say I like it. If you treat it right from the shot forward it is very good. If you strap it to your car hood and go riding around to show it off not so good tasting. People actually do that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your kidding right? I shoot my deer and clean it there and then, then pop it in my chiller for 4-5days then I butcher it and pack it in the freezer, I am lucky enough I have a walk in chiller in my garden strictly for game. I have deer rabbits grouse wood pigeon (in the US they are doves) and partridge in their at different times

1 - 12 of 12 Posts