Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone having a similar issue? 4th shot, the string broke on my 10 point RS 470. The 1st thing I did was to make sure I wasn't injured. The rail had been lubed. Not sure what went wrong. Such a powerfull bow, I think I'm lucky not to be hurt. Any help would be appreciated. New to crossbows, my eyesight is failing and made it the ethical choice. I love my Matthews, but just not confident any longer past 25 yards. Decided to make the switch and now this. Paid $3000 for my forever bow. Pretty upset & confused!
Andy

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
The RS400 Vapor is getting great reviews but xbows will have failures regardless of brand. Glad to hear that you were not hurt. I've been shooting the TenPoint RDX platform for 5 years and the Nitro X and XRT that have the same front end design. No issues in thousands of shots and hundreds of hunts so far.

Maybe we can get some more detail on this?

How many shots have you made prior to this happening? Just 3 total?

Has the bow ever been dry fired?

Where did the string break? Was it on the end or in the middle?

Tell us what the arrow did when this happened.

You mentioned that the rail was lubed. What did you use to lube it?

How have the string and cables been treated?

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Also, are you 100% sure you did not cock it on the Anti-Dry Fire Pin?
If the Safety did not come on after cocking, you may not have cocked it properly.
For sure call TenPoint.
They will help you out.

Reactions: TX_RDXguy

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Also, are you 100% sure you did not cock it on the Anti-Dry Fire Pin?
If the Safety did not come on after cocking, you may not have cocked it properly.
For sure call TenPoint.
They will help you out.
Doesn't sound like Andy did based on his description. He said it happened on the 4th shot and if it were hung on the DFI, It wouldn't have fired.

Yes, TenPoint Customer Service or a local dealer needs to get involved.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Doesn't sound like Andy did based on his description. He said it happened on the 4th shot and if it were hung on the DFI, It wouldn't have fired.

Yes, TenPoint Customer Service or a local dealer needs to get involved.
I believe it will fire if latched only on the DFI, TX_RDXguy.
I think I have read in the forums here that people have done it
The results were not pleasant.

·
Registered
10,828 Posts
I believe it will fire if latched only on the DFI, TX_RDXguy.
I think I have read in the forums here that people have done it
The results were not pleasant.
If it will fire off the DFI it is a manufacturing problem because it shouldn't as that is what the DFI is for. I sure am seeing a lot of problem posts lately about the new TPs.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
If it will fire off the DFI it is a manufacturing problem because it shouldn't as that is what the DFI is for. I sure am seeing a lot of problem posts lately about the new TPs.
The DFI is to save from shooting when no arrow is loaded.
You can cock on the DFI and load an arrow.
Fire it in that condition and that's when the bad things start.

·
Registered
10,828 Posts
The DFI is to save from shooting when no arrow is loaded.
You can cock on the DFI and load an arrow.
Fire it in that condition and that's when the bad things start.
If you can load an arrow and fire it it shouldn't hurt anything and that is definitely not a dry fire situation.. All you would be doing is shooting under relaxed pressure not quite all the way cocked back.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
If you can load an arrow and fire it it shouldn't hurt anything and that is definitely not a dry fire situation.. All you would be doing is shooting under relaxed pressure not quite all the way cocked back.
You can damage the Xbow if cocking on the DFI Pin.
Firing it on the DFI pin is even more dangerous.

There have been many posts and threads in the past couple months about cocking on the DFI Pin.
Usually, the results have not been good.

·
TenPoint Representative
1,884 Posts
Anyone having a similar issue? 4th shot, the string broke on my 10 point RS 470. The 1st thing I did was to make sure I wasn't injured. The rail had been lubed. Not sure what went wrong. Such a powerfull bow, I think I'm lucky not to be hurt. Any help would be appreciated. New to crossbows, my eyesight is failing and made it the ethical choice. I love my Matthews, but just not confident any longer past 25 yards. Decided to make the switch and now this. Paid $3000 for my forever bow. Pretty upset & confused!
Andy
Andy,
shoot me an email with your name, address, phone number and the serial number on the bow to [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I don't like that New micro trac that the string slides on, It has to be like a knife.
It's nothing like a knife blade. Thinner than a traditional rail, yes it is but there is less serving pressure or contact on it.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Andy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All, I don't want to tarnish 10 Point's 470RS reputation in error. With some more investigation & much embarrassment I must admit that the above mentioned failure was my fault. When I 1st shot the bow, my target didn't stop the bolt & it was lost into the ground. I lined up two targets to keep from loosing another bolt. The bolt still passed 1/2 way through my 3D target and had to be pulled on through, which pulled the Alpha Nock from the bolt. Days later I shot the bow again and accidentally loaded the "nockless" bolt & fired it. Hence the damage to the bow string. The bolt did hit the target, hoping that there is no damage to the limbs. As hard as this thing shoots I'm taking it to my local shop for a complete inspection/ evaluation!
Again, I ask for all of your forgiveness for crying wolf, but I needed to set the record straight. I could blame my eyesight, but with such a powerful weapon, I need to be way more diligent about the proper loading of the bolts & proper string connection.
My apologies
Andy Sipe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The RS400 Vapor is getting great reviews but xbows will have failures regardless of brand. Glad to hear that you were not hurt. I've been shooting the TenPoint RDX platform for 5 years and the Nitro X and XRT that have the same front end design. No issues in thousands of shots and hundreds of hunts so far.

Maybe we can get some more detail on this?

How many shots have you made prior to this happening? Just 3 total?

Has the bow ever been dry fired?

Where did the string break? Was it on the end or in the middle?

Tell us what the arrow did when this happened.

You mentioned that the rail was lubed. What did you use to lube it?

How have the string and cables been treated?
Please see my recant. I made a crucial error!! Stupid mistake!!

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Please see my recant. I made a crucial error!! Stupid mistake!!
No worries Asipe1.
That is how we all learn.
For the record, our local shotgun/archery/crossbow range will not allow crossbow users to shoot the 3D targets.
Not even with field points.
They are just too powerful and chew the targets to pieces in no time.

Reactions: TX_RDXguy
1 - 20 of 30 Posts