Crossbow Nation banner

What grain broadheads do you use for Whitetails?

Votes: 5 50.0%

Votes: 5 50.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and bought a Ravin R10 to use on Whitetails. I would like to shoot out to 80 yards if I can get comfortable with my proficiency. Would you go with 100 or 125 grains for shots over 50 yds? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use 125 grain broad-heads exclusively on my R10 and R20 and have for around four years. They clam the string down a bit and both bows provide complete pass thrus on big Whitetails at those ranges. I use either Rage mechanical or Sevr.

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
I actually use both but voted 100 grain as that is what I use 80% of the time. Depends on what bow I am using as to which head will be used. My R20 has 100 grain heads on it for tomorrows opener.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I switched to 125 and 150's since I bought my Stealth NXT.

Reactions: TexasShooter

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome Texas Shooter! Pull up a stump, have a sit by the campfire, and warm your bones.

I bought some of the Ravin lighted nocks for some of the non-lighted Ravin arrows I have. I love watching lighted nocks. They've saved me a bundle in dollars since they were first introduced to the archery industry many many moons ago. And I also enjoy being able to recover the arrows much easier, especially in the dark. This helps me to see what kind of blood I may have on the shaft before tracking in the dark. And to help keep the FOC close to factory specs as possible, I've elected to go with 125gr Grim Reaper heads to counter the weight of the lighted nocks. I've also got some 150gr feild tips to see if I get any better accuracy from them at longer distances. If they preform better (given cross winds ect), then I'll order some of the 150gr heads from Grim Reaper. As they now have 150gr heads in several lines of the broadheads.

I know this will slow my R29X arrow down a good bit to the R20 and R29 levels. But there won't be a big pig safe within my shooting range, if it works out. 😁

I may try some of the factory Ravin lighted arrows later, just for some flatter deer shooting provided they weigh the same as the non lighted Ravin arrows. And if they weigh the same, I'll use some 100gr or 125gr GR heads. pending the variables.

Reactions: TexasShooter

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welcome Texas Shooter! Pull up a stump, have a sit by the campfire, and warm your bones.

I bought some of the Ravin lighted nocks for some of the non-lighted Ravin arrows I have. I love watching lighted nocks. They've saved me a bundle in dollars since they were first introduced to the archery industry many many moons ago. And I also enjoy being able to recover the arrows much easier, especially in the dark. This helps me to see what kind of blood I may have on the shaft before tracking in the dark. And to help keep the FOC close to factory specs as possible, I've elected to go with 125gr Grim Reaper heads to counter the weight of the lighted nocks. I've also got some 150gr feild tips to see if I get any better accuracy from them at longer distances. If they preform better (given cross winds ect), then I'll order some of the 150gr heads from Grim Reaper. As they now have 150gr heads in several lines of the broadheads.

I know this will slow my R29X arrow down a good bit to the R20 and R29 levels. But there won't be a big pig safe within my shooting range, if it works out. 😁

I may try some of the factory Ravin lighted arrows later, just for some flatter deer shooting provided they weigh the same as the non lighted Ravin arrows. And if they weigh the same, I'll use some 100gr or 125gr GR heads. pending the variables.
They shot low for me, the factory lighted nock arrows that is. Foc is back farther and I can't think of another difference that would cause lower poi.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
25 grains is irrelevant. Both choices are light. Very light.
No real world gain/loss either way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I also agree. The longer the yardage, the bigger the a difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts