Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently I was inspired by another CBN member to try long range shooting with my Ripper. He was doing it with another setup but for me it was a challenge I never finished. A couple of years ago I shot to 90 yards and stopped.
So a couple of days ago I decided to shoot and tune my Ripper setup to work up to 100 yards. I started at 40 yards by shooting the same arrow to confirm my scope was set to the right all the reticle 10 yards values. I hit the 100 yard bullseye with the same #6 arrow twice with two groups of three arrow. The other two were within 2" of #6 arrow.
That was pretty good for a first time thought. It was exhilarating to experience something that up until recently for me was strange to consider.

I was only able to capture the 2nd group when I took the target bag home where I left my phone/camera. I noticed that the both groups were almost identical aside from #5 arrow being about 1" lower on the target. That was all the time I had.

View attachment 181971

Yesterday I planned a trip to my hunting lease for some hog hunting. I planned to arrive early to put out extra corn at the feeder to help attract the hogs. I did as I planned and had plenty of time left.
For that added time I also loaded my crossbow equipment, bench, and target in the truck case I had time to try some more target practicing.

As it worked out I was in for a surprise.

I picked up where I left off the evening before. Since I hit the bullseye with #6 arrow I decided to shoot with it only to see how consistent the accuracy was at 100 yards. I set up the target in my usual spot where wind is normally blocked good. However the trees on the far end of the range past 75 opened into the pasture. There was 10-15 mph SW wind blowing as I planned to shoot south. I decided it was good enough to try so preceded.

As you look at the photos the sequence is right to left from the bottom.
The 1st shot with #6 was a warm up shoot as it missed 3" left. I didn't change anything because experience told me it could be a fluke
#2 hit bullseye
#3 shot hit about 1" left
the rest as you can see stayed very close to just outside left. Several hit same hole or near. 3 thru 6 I think were within 1/4".
I still can't believe this Ripper 415 is good as my rifle shooting the same arrow.
I doubt I will beat it or match it again. Wow!馃槈
It's your turn!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
That鈥檚 some fine shooting.
SavedWretch Thanks!

I never thought it was possible especially a guy at my young age. But it goes to show unless you try you never know for sure.

Here is the image that I tried to attached but something went wrong. It was from the effort the day before that I mentioned.

20200726_CB.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #4

I have a new video of extreme shooting at 115 yards to share. Enjoy!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone think to try off hand shooting? I did today and found out something good!
Enjoy!

I followed up the video shot to see if it was one and done.
Here are the next 2 shots!

20200914_161909.jpg

20200914_162250.jpg

Registered
Just recently I was inspired by another CBN member to try long range shooting with my Ripper. He was doing it with another setup but for me it was a challenge I never finished. A couple of years ago I shot to 90 yards and stopped.
So a couple of days ago I decided to shoot and tune my Ripper setup to work up to 100 yards. I started at 40 yards by shooting the same arrow to confirm my scope was set to the right all the reticle 10 yards values. I hit the 100 yard bullseye with the same #6 arrow twice with two groups of three arrow. The other two were within 2" of #6 arrow.
That was pretty good for a first time thought. It was exhilarating to experience something that up until recently for me was strange to consider.

I was only able to capture the 2nd group when I took the target bag home where I left my phone/camera. I noticed that the both groups were almost identical aside from #5 arrow being about 1" lower on the target. That was all the time I had.

View attachment 181971

Yesterday I planned a trip to my hunting lease for some hog hunting. I planned to arrive early to put out extra corn at the feeder to help attract the hogs. I did as I planned and had plenty of time left.
For that added time I also loaded my crossbow equipment, bench, and target in the truck case I had time to try some more target practicing.

As it worked out I was in for a surprise.

I picked up where I left off the evening before. Since I hit the bullseye with #6 arrow I decided to shoot with it only to see how consistent the accuracy was at 100 yards. I set up the target in my usual spot where wind is normally blocked good. However the trees on the far end of the range past 75 opened into the pasture. There was 10-15 mph SW wind blowing as I planned to shoot south. I decided it was good enough to try so preceded.

As you look at the photos the sequence is right to left from the bottom.
The 1st shot with #6 was a warm up shoot as it missed 3" left. I didn't change anything because experience told me it could be a fluke
#2 hit bullseye
#3 shot hit about 1" left
the rest as you can see stayed very close to just outside left. Several hit same hole or near. 3 thru 6 I think were within 1/4".
I still can't believe this Ripper 415 is good as my rifle shooting the same arrow.
I doubt I will beat it or match it again. Wow!馃槈
It's your turn!

View attachment 181973
None better. This 100 challenges says so many things beyond great shooting execution. Arrows are perfect, scope is dialed in, and the Xbow talks the talk. That 25 yards shot will look like a 10 yard shot with all that long range practice. Practice long to shoot short.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! This goes to show why I have successfully taken deer with my off hand using crossbow and last year with a muzzleloader. Never needed to with my 270 winchester Ruger.
There is always room for improvement.
I wonder is I get the highest price crossbow would it help?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know where I could get a good deal on a front riser assembly for a KI Ripper or Brawler? I need it to go with my spare Ripper rear end assembly.馃徆馃槣馃

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, you are getting me confused. You are now shooting on the bad side of the Xbow. That's just not fair! :p:p :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for all your fine comments!馃槉馃槈

Well! I had to adapt.馃槈

The sled windage adjustment was on the right side so I reversed it. And it was a little confusing where my hands and arms needed to be stabilize the bow but I managed. I use one sandbag to place my forward elbow on which seems to be key. Maybe it is the height and the sand base but less wiggle results.

My left eye is 1-2 clicks more clear than the right. I have known this for about 5 years. It used to be the right.
When I looked thru the scope yesterday I noticed it immediately (wow) so I decided to compare the left to the right side shooting. I saw a bit of parallax issue with eye alignment but I managed. I need a better cheeks anchor to cure that.
My arrow tuning really showed up on the 3 consecutive shoots with a 0.8" grouping at 70 yards. Those arrows were selected randomly. Go Victory Xbolts! 馃徆馃幆. I bought those dozen for about 43 bucks. Now that I have used and tuned them I would give much more for them because of the results are amazing compared to the junk I was shooting. Live and learn!
I see lots about custom arrows offered but I am sticking with what seems to be custom to me. I only have two more unused dozen.馃槉
But on Ebay the same source that sold mine is still selling them at a higher cost. It was the best find in crossbow equipment for me right behind the Ripper and the Hawke XB30 Compact scope.

Spot On
馃幆;)(y)

My set up from yesterday.

20200914_162837.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
None better. This 100 challenges says so many things beyond great shooting execution. Arrows are perfect, scope is dialed in, and the Xbow talks the talk. That 25 yards shot will look like a 10 yard shot with all that long range practice. Practice long to shoot short.
Since you mentioned it I can't remember the last time I shot at less 6o yards. Sometime in July when I was still confirming my scope after getting new rear assembly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts