Crossbow Nation banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I’m set on Scorpio though…..hard to dog shit on a bow that prints sub 1.25” 3 shot groups at 110 yards
I don't understand !!
I will bet if you let that bow out 1/4 inch it will be more accurate than before !!
A slower arrow is always more accurate !!

·
Registered
ScorpyD ACLEUS 460
4,256 Posts
WOW that is a ridiculous price for a limb swap !! If that price is legit , shame on you Jerry !!
If it were me I would contact a string builder and have a set of longer string and cables made , 1/4 inch longer .
Or add a 1/16 shim under the back of the limb .
more than one way to slow a bow down and gain limb and serving longevity .

I also need to add , going to 180 deflection limbs is no guaranty they wont crack , it is the total limb flex as to why those limbs are cracking .
so IMO lesson the limb flex on the limbs you have (200 lb deflection ) and they will last a lot longer .
Me personally I would want a robust limb run in reserve than a lighter limb run at close to the max .
That’s not the voice of experience talking, it’s the voice of mastery speaking!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Listen to Tim,,, burky247365,,, the man has corrected more Scorpyds in ways they won't that have proven to make them a better bow than anyone, like I said even Scorpyd, it's not conducive to there sales strategy! He speaks from experience not he said she said!

Better accuracy, longer string and serving life, easier on the limbs and probably quieter and smoother shooting. Not one thing putting lighter limbs and not correcting everything else will do! Suite youself, but Tim has fixed a few Scorpyds as they came from the factory with not one person having a complaint.

But, how can you even think 6 bills is legitimate shipping, I had a car delivered from out of state over 400 miles and it only cost me 250 bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
So you would recommend sticking with the 180lb limbs and just getting longer strings and cables correct? If so who would be the guy to talk to about that?
Yes I would stick with the 200 lb deflection limbs and let the bow out 1/4 inch .
I would get ahold of Tim , at Americas best bowstrings and tell him you want a set of string and cables 1/4 inch longer for your model Scorpyd bow .
he will fix you up !!
I would also suggest the premium set from them .

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Do you have a "rule of thumb" for the fps drop when adding 1/4" to string/cables?
Kinda sorta ,LOL.
I know one thing and it is total limb flex , no secret what has happened to get more speed from the same set of limbs and it is total limb flex .
the older stock 150 bow used 5.25 total limb flex per limb and shot 400 fps with 180 lb deflection limbs , the newer bows are pushing 5.5 to 5-5/8 .
so when I say 1/4 inch that will make the limb flex at an older 150 5.25 .
so dropping the 200 Lb deflection limbs to 5.25 will be 20 fps faster than the 150 at 400 fps , Both scenarios share the same limb flex , but one has 200 lb limbs the other has 180 lb limbs , Make sense !!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Burky, you also mentioned "or shim the limbs 1/16in", when you suggested adding 1/4in to the string & cables.
WOW that is a ridiculous price for a limb swap !! If that price is legit , shame on you Jerry !!
If it were me I would contact a string builder and have a set of longer string and cables made , 1/4 inch longer .

I also need to add , going to 180 deflection limbs is no guaranty they wont crack , it is the total limb flex as to why those limbs are cracking .
so IMO lesson the limb flex on the limbs you have (200 lb deflection ) and they will last a lot longer .
Me personally I would want a robust limb run in reserve than a lighter limb run at close to the max .
Would adding the 1/16 shim give the same results? I am guessing the shim would make the cam ends tip in towards the rail. Giving a smaller ATA, then the stock string would "let the ATA back out" to stock ATA measurement. So limbs would lose a little preload, just like with a longer string & cables.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Kinda sorta ,LOL.
I know one thing and it is total limb flex , no secret what has happened to get more speed from the same set of limbs and it is total limb flex .
the older stock 150 bow used 5.25 total limb flex per limb and shot 400 fps with 180 lb deflection limbs , the newer bows are pushing 5.5 to 5-5/8 .
so when I say 1/4 inch that will make the limb flex at an older 150 5.25 .
so dropping the 200 Lb deflection limbs to 5.25 will be 20 fps faster than the 150 at 400 fps , Both scenarios share the same limb flex , but one has 200 lb limbs the other has 180 lb limbs , Make sense !!
For flex per limb do I take un-cocked ATA, minus cocked ATA, then divide by 2?

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
For flex per limb do I take un-cocked ATA, minus cocked ATA, then divide by 2?
No you need to use Static ATA which is unstrung and 100% relaxed .
Your bow is using right around 5.25 limb flex per limb .

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Burky, you also mentioned "or shim the limbs 1/16in", when you suggested adding 1/4in to the string & cables.

Would adding the 1/16 shim give the same results? I am guessing the shim would make the cam ends tip in towards the rail. Giving a smaller ATA, then the stock string would "let the ATA back out" to stock ATA measurement. So limbs would lose a little preload, just like with a longer string & cables.
Yes and I have done that on several bows , I make a 1/16 Teflon shim that fits in the pocket just behind the limb rocker and has a bolt hole in it to keep from sliding around , this lets it out and looses about 20 fps ,also changes the way the limb bends off of the rocker , basically not as sharp of a bend !!!

So one can use a shim and run stock strings and cables or get a 1/4 inch longer set made .

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Yes and I have done that on several bows , I make a 1/16 Teflon shim that fits in the pocket just behind the limb rocker and has a bolt hole in it to keep from sliding around , this lets it out and looses about 20 fps ,also changes the way the limb bends off of the rocker , basically not as sharp of a bend !!!

So one can use a shim and run stock strings and cables or get a 1/4 inch longer set made .
Thanks for explaining. I like the shim idea best. That way you can keep stock length string/cables and get replacements quickly if needed (in stock verses custom order)

·
Retired
1,978 Posts

My goal is to help every bow owner get their bow fixed as cheap as possible

Some listen and break their bow Down to save on shipping

Some pay around 50 to 75, some have paid as much as 400.00 to get the bow to me. I have zero control I can only suggest

So no burky He didn't pay 600 to have limbs changed. But shipping to me shipping back to him, limbs, string and cables and my labor charge could have been that much

·
Retired
1,978 Posts
Thx guys I appreciate the info…. Now I just gota save up 600$ to sent this thing to Jerry lol
NEVER add the same length to strings and cables. Doing that screws with the factory optimized draw cycle etc.

If you add a 1/4 to the string add 1/8 to each cable. If you add a 1/2 to the string add a 1/4 to each cable. This is directly from scorpyd

21 - 40 of 51 Posts