Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using these and what are your thoughts? I’m looking at the 1 3/16” 175 grain heads. Thanks

Reactions: Falconer4ever

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
We (wife and I) will be using them. They fly excellent and sharpen easily. Very happy with what I see.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We (wife and I) will be using them. They fly excellent and sharpen easily. Very happy with what I see.
Great to hear that, Lever Action....I just ordered a 3-pack of the 175 gr. 1 3/16" solid blade (and also a 3-pack of the 125 gr. vented 1 3/16" Series).

Not doubt the solid's fly much quieter, but I'm a little nervous about the accuracy/ flight stability of the 175 gr. solid 1/ 3/16" heads.

When you say "they fly excellent", do you mean fully equal to your field points? Or just equal to other good heads you have shot?

I REALLY want the 175's to shoot right with my field points at least to 50 yards.....

Do you sharpen them with the 2-stone angled sharpener Tooth of the Arrow sells?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have to add the amended... Jen just bought a 10 point (after I posted this) and that bow/arrow/head combo are not perfect but not total crap either, so here are the facts...

To be very specific...
Jens bow is 350 (chono'd) and gets a 1" deviation, with a factory shaft for her 10 point.
Jens other bow (excal) gets field point impacts @ 305fps
My excal gets field point impacts at 280fps.
I believe that the issues at 350 are bolt related but I could be wrong and I will never know because it's not my bow and I dont plan on frigging with her bow. ;)
At some point, it's just a fact that a fixed head will fail (aerodynamically) at a particular speed. IMO...by what I have seen, based on hundreds of heads tested in my own bows (over the years) this is the best solid head I have found for flight, to date...if memory serves. This is why I have no issues promoting it.

I do use their stone. Its perfect and easy to use. Practically idiot proof....which is good for me because I hate sharpening.

Great to hear that, Lever Action....I just ordered a 3-pack of the 175 gr. 1 3/16" solid blade (and also a 3-pack of the 125 gr. vented 1 3/16" Series).

Not doubt the solid's fly much quieter, but I'm a little nervous about the accuracy/ flight stability of the 175 gr. solid 1/ 3/16" heads.

When you say "they fly excellent", do you mean fully equal to your field points? Or just equal to other good heads you have shot?

I REALLY want the 175's to shoot right with my field points at least to 50 yards.....

Do you sharpen them with the 2-stone angled sharpener Tooth of the Arrow sells?

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hey...If the 1 3/16 dont work for you...I will buy them and you can try the 1" if you want.
1" equals 2" total cut, which is pretty much a rage but better construction and reusable.
I hate to see anyone take a beating (if it doesnt work for you) but I can offer you that out if you want.
I love them... no loss for me to do this. Just an FYI out there, for your consideration...should you see issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey...If the 1 3/16 dont work for you...I will buy them and you can try the 1" if you want.
1" equals 2" total cut, which is pretty much a rage but better construction and reusable.
I hate to see anyone take a beating (if it doesnt work for you) but I can offer you that out if you want.
I love them... no loss for me to do this. Just an FYI out there, for your consideration...should you see issues.
Thanks much for your kind offer, Lever.

Details of my set-up:

I shoot a Scorpyd Aculeus with their lightest 110 lb. limbs. With the 110 limbs, it is rated at 370 fps with 370 gr. arrows. With the 175 gr solid blade Tooth of the Arrow heads, that would put my total arrow weight at 490 grs. That is 120 grains over the "rated arrow" weight. Using the formula of 1 fps loss for every additional 3 grains of arrow weight, that would be a 40 fps reduction from the 370 fps factory rated speed....which would equal 330 fps with that 175 gr. head. Since your wife is impacting within 1" of her field points at her bow's 350 fps, I am optimistic that 330 fps would work well for accuracy with that head.....but maybe not perfect field point accuracy like you get with your 280 fps speed....or your wife's former speed of 305 fps..

Does that sound reasonable and logical to you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts