Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 years of hunting with my Excalibur I bought a Killer Instinct Boss 405. While I am impressed with it's accuracy, speed and how they've made this a quite bow with multiple silence aids I am not sure I trust it for a season of hunting in the high elevations of the Allegany National Forest. I tossed the light arrows that came with it. I felt better with a arrow that at least is 415 grains. My main concern is after the very first day of shooting the serving was separating. This is not the serving over the large cams but the smaller cams on the inside on both sides. I started using Excalibur serving wax were it is separated and it seems to have helped. I've shot 3 one hour sessions with the Boss 405 since the first shooting session. Do you think the serving will last into the archery season or should be replaced. The dealer is in town but they would probably send it back to Minn. if it needed replaced. I don't even know if Killer Instinct is fully open in Minn. so who knows how long it would be gone. Our season opens Oct 2 and runs into mid November. I still have and shoot my Excalibur it is a dependable bow going on 6 years old. Any suggestions on how to proceed with the KI Boss 405 would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Take care of the serving now. I wouldnt wait. You have a back up.
Always a good idea to have a back up, IMO.
One never knows what could happen to any xbow at the most critical time, especially when sitting in a blind for hours, for example.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Some times it seems that factory strings aren't wound tight enough. You could always get another factory string from KI but I'd suggest going to somebody that twists custom strings for a better string. Might try Marty and see how his string would do. Just a suggestion...…...

Also, something I ALWAYS do with a new string is apply a dab of Superglue on the ends of ALL the serving ends. Not sure it helps much but it certainly doesn't hurt anything. Good luck.:)

·
2,771 Posts
Much like a compound bow, get a good quality set of string/cables and you really shouldn't have much trouble.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some times it seems that factory strings aren't wound tight enough. You could always get another factory string from KI but I'd suggest going to somebody that twists custom strings for a better string. Might try Marty and see how his string would do. Just a suggestion...…...

Also, something I ALWAYS do with a new string is apply a dab of Superglue on the ends of ALL the serving ends. Not sure it helps much but it certainly doesn't hurt anything. Good luck.:)
Sent a message to Marty were a couple hours from him...see what he thinks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sent this to Marty at his request. Good guy were both from PA about 3 hours apart.

·
1,587 Posts
I have never seen a factory string I liked including during my vertical compound days. My last 2 Hoyts were never shot with the factory strings.
If that served part of the cable never leaves the track, you have no immediate worries. If it does, address it soon. KI and other compound bow manufacturers require frequent string and cable lubrication.
Invest in a set of custom strings and cables. It just isn't feasible to put as much attention to mass produced strings and cables like custom string makers do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never seen a factory string I liked including during my vertical compound days. My last 2 Hoyts were never shot with the factory strings.
If that served part of the cable never leaves the track, you have no immediate worries. If it does, address it soon. KI and other compound bow manufacturers require frequent string and cable lubrication.
Invest in a set of custom strings and cables. It just isn't feasible to put as much attention to mass produced strings and cables like custom string makers do.
Thanks Boo good to hear that..I see you mentioned on the Excal forum a lot so no doubt you know your stuff. Sure glad I have the Excalibur. It doesn't dazzle with blazing 400fps of speed but is as reliable as an old 30-30 Winchester.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to update this post I went to the dealer and found out they knew as much as me about the KI crossbows. All they do is sell them in the box. My problem was if I bought a custom string cable set was how to put it on with no bow press. I took a ride into NY state because there was a guy my age at one time who worked on compound bows and had a little archery shop. Its in the middle of nowhere. on the back side of Allegany State Park and Red House lake. To my surprise he still had a shop. After a 2 minute conversation and looking at the Boss 405 he said no problem I can make a new set that will take care of serving problem. So thanks to everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts