Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think I should get? I plan to get one soon so I can get a lot of time in before hunting season.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
First bow

Try, by shooting, as many as you're able to. Bows generally come in tow types: Recurve, they are simpler to maintain and generally very accurate. But they tend to be wider and a bit harder to cock. Compounds are generally smaller and easier to cock but have more moving parts (strings, cables and pulleys) so require more maintenance. As in guns, the trigger is all important. That's why you must try before you buy; and to see how the bow fits you.
Most importantly, get a bow that's made by a company that has a reputation for good customer support. Excalibur has and exceptional reputation for same, as does Parker and Ten Point. As in all things, you get what you pay for, those I mentioned are among the top made with equally great customer support and lifetime warranty.
I have no experience with Stryker bows made by Bowtech. Perhaps those that shoot them can chime in.

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, I have shot Horton only a few times and the feel is good. This may be hard a hard question but how much should I expect to pay for a good one, not top of the line but still a good brand? I have been looking around online but there are so many to chose.:cool:

·
Banned
364 Posts
A good crossbow from a company that stand behind them for life such as Ten Point, Excalibur, Parker will cost around $500+ or -. Also depends on if you want a Recurve or Compound CB. Talk to one of the dealers who handles them all and pick their brain. Get as much information as you can before naking a decision.

Sent you a PM! :cool:

·
9,008 Posts
Looks like ... a good crossbow went up about a hundred bucks a year over the last decade. :)

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Like said...shoot a few if that is possible. Then decide if you prefer the compound crossbows or the recurve crossbows. They both have their Pros and Cons. Latly, decide what is the TOTAL amount you have to put into an outfit (and this would include EVERYTHING...better arrows, upgraded scope, etc.). Then come back and ask your questions for more specific answers.

There's LOTS of good bows out there. It really depends on you, and what you like and want. Good luck on the hunt for that perfect bow. And don't be a BIG HURRY to buy as surely you do then you will find a "better" one. Heck....that happens to most of us though.:confused: That's why most of us all own more than one crossbow.;):D:D

Reactions: ranger sgt

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I have shot Horton only a few times and the feel is good. This may be hard a hard question but how much should I expect to pay for a good one, not top of the line but still a good brand? I have been looking around online but there are so many to chose.e
I bought one of the cheapest out there...a CenterPoint Sniper. The reviews were GREAT so I took the plunge. After upgrading the scope, the arrows, and doing a trigger job I might have $450 in it and I'm COMPLETELY satisfied. I got more than that in my recurve (which I am satisfied with too.) You casn spedd up towards $2500 on a crossbow if you desifre. But whichever you decide...I'd plan on a few upgrades just to be on the safe side. Usually a better scope runs @ $150 (maybe a little less or more depending on what you want) and better arrows will be another $40-$50 for a half dozen. Don't forget a GOOD target is also a MUST as you don't want to tear those nice arrows up either.;) Then maybe a laser rangefinder......HECK! Bow hunting is EXPENSIVE!!!

Reactions: Fletcher

·
11,423 Posts
If you let it:p. The good thing about it is, no matter one’s financial situation, there’s something out there that will likely fit into that situation;-)

Oh, and the deer is not going to question which crossbow shot that arrow that just went through him.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Thanks for your reply, I have shot Horton only a few times and the feel is good. This may be hard a hard question but how much should I expect to pay for a good one, not top of the line but still a good brand? I have been looking around online but there are so many to chose.:cool:
Good advice here and I'll add a bit to the discussion.

- Think about how you will hunt. Size and weight come to play if you are a stalker, tree stand, ground blind or shooting house hunter. I have graduated from traditional style xbows to RDX and soon will have a very narrow version. Weight is less of a concern as I'm almost always resting or mounting my xbow vs carry it and stalking. All valuable aspects I consider based on my use preferences and hunting from climbers and in some cases, very small ground blinds.
- Consider your local resources. The more technically complex xbows do require some TLC so having a pro shop or authorized deals close by would be valuable if you choose a xbow that requires service. That service is often string replacements and cam timing tune ups that need a press to complete.
- Whats your budget? The xbow is the main spend but good arrows, broadheads, target or targets, scope upgrades if needed, limb suppressors, hard or soft cases and spares all add up as well.
- Is a used xbow an option? Many good 1-3 year old xbows pass through the classified and are great buys. The one value point to consider here is "warranty" as many will not transfer from owner to owner.

FWIW, I shoot a Horton RDX and have had two of the Horton RDX bows and they are excellent. Very well balanced, good size and great performance.

StormVortec.jpg

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
When life was simple there was only Ford, Chevrolet, and a couple more. Now a days with so many choices it's hard to choose. Things just keep more complicated.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
When life was simple there was only Ford, Chevrolet, and a couple more. Now a days with so many choices it's hard to choose. Things just keep more complicated.
A blessing and a cure at the same time Fletcher. ;)

I generally enjoy the next generation technology swings which we have seen a lot of lately in the xbow world and so far those choices that have worked out.

Reactions: Fletcher

·
2,882 Posts
We all like what we have.;) Heck, you can't even buy what I have now.:eek:

I would say go to a shop, hopefully a shop that comes well recommended, and talk with the owner, and handle/shoot a few to see what you like. Another idea (surprised no one brought it up), call David Wilkins at Wyvern Creations and see what he has to say.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts