Crossbow Nation banner

321 - 338 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Finally made it on the boards. I had some opportunities early in the season, but nothing I wanted to shoot. Got a nice 10 point with a rifle and a big doe with my pistol, but as 2020 was drawing to a close it was looking like a crossbow blank.

Last Tuesday's light snow turned into a 24 hour snow event. Wednesday was cold, but a light breeze and scattered clouds. That afternoon I decided to hunt the last couple hours of the day in the stand at the far end of our hayfield.

I guessed the ice had pinned the deer down the night before and they would be out early to feed. That turned out to be a good hunch. Had a doe with her twin fawns pop out right at 4:00. By 4:30 there were six skinheads feeding on something in the hayfield. The closest one was about 80 yards from my stand, but I had already decided to fill a tag if a shot presented itself.

At 4:45 a big bodied buck crossed my neighbor's cut bean field from the CRP to the south. I could see he had some impressive headgear, even from 150 yards away. He came straight through the treeline toward the does and one by one began checking them out. None of the ladies showed any interest until the last little yearling doe. She broke from the group and trotted across the field ending up about 20 yards to the right of my stand. Like a mature buck will do, he slowly, but steadily walked toward her keeping himself between her and the timber.

The light was fading fast, but as he approached I could see he was missing the left side of his rack. The right side was massive. At 5:15 he finally gave me a 25 yard shot. Close to broadside, just quartering away slightly. I slowly raised my bow, picked a spot, pushed the safety off, settled in, and squeezed through.

The Excalibur Matrix 330 put the crested 2216 with a 125 gr Rage Hypodermic on the spot. He jumped, kicked, and only made 60 yards before going down in sight. What a way to end another great season.

20201230_173547.jpg

20201230_173701.jpg

20201230_192343.jpg

For reference, the 2216 kill arrow in his rack is a 20" shaft.

20201230_192633.jpg

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Another great job James! Glad you were able to finish 2020 with another great buck and shot! Another monster falls to the Matrix and a home rolled xx75 Easton. Well done sir and congrats!

Reactions: Old Vet

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hell of a buck. Congrats on the kill. Too bad he had dropped one side. I believe I would be out looking for it. :)
I will go check back in the CRP. When our snow clears, but it is 160 acres, surrounded by wooded creeks and farms. Looks like he dropped it a while back, so it could be anywhere.

He was a nice mature buck and I already have planned doing a Euro mount, but not traditional style. I think I will cut the skull in half lengthwise and mount it to a mirror in a barnwood frame. Think that will look kind of cool. He deserves to be shown off.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Another great job James! Glad you were able to finish 2020 with another great buck and shot! Another monster falls to the Matrix and a home rolled xx75 Easton. Well done sir and congrats!
Thanks Paul. I may be prejudice, but to me a recurve shooting XX75s is a natural hunting combination. Guess any setup that feels like part of you fills the bill. Just hard for me to move away from what works.

Reactions: Stalker

·
Registered
954 Posts
Congrats on a very nice buck James. Impressive mass on that side. I've been seeing a few half racks running around these parts in the last week or so myself.
Only buck I've seen while hunting that interested me at all was during antlerless season while I was looking for a doe for sausage. Wouldn't you know I shot a doe and then spent 2 hours with her boyfriend hanging out between 20 and 50 yards from me. Made for a fun but somewhat frustrating hunt. Oh well that's the way it goes sometimes and he should still be here next year if he doesn't show in the next 2 weeks.
20201204_074023.jpg
20201204_084223.jpg

·
Registered
9,492 Posts
Thanks Paul. I may be prejudice, but to me a recurve shooting XX75s is a natural hunting combination. Guess any setup that feels like part of you fills the bill. Just hard for me to move away from what works.
I agree! Thats all my Matrix gets fed! Dont move away! If it aint broke dont fix it! 😁

Reactions: Old Vet

·
Registered
872 Posts
Congrats on a very nice buck James. Impressive mass on that side. I've been seeing a few half racks running around these parts in the last week or so myself.
Only buck I've seen while hunting that interested me at all was during antlerless season while I was looking for a doe for sausage. Wouldn't you know I shot a doe and then spent 2 hours with her boyfriend hanging out between 20 and 50 yards from me. Made for a fun but somewhat frustrating hunt. Oh well that's the way it goes sometimes and he should still be here next year if he doesn't show in the next 2 weeks. View attachment 189648 View attachment 189649
[/QUOTE

I know what you mean. The afternoon I shot my doe during the alternative season she was with 3 other skinheads and had a nice buck shadowing them. There I sat with a pistol and only a firearm doe tag left. Frustrating, but still fun just watching them. He appeared to be a 3 year old, so if he can stay away from the highway he will be a better one next year.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Checked my trail cam from outback this morning. Got a neat picture of my buck after he had back kicked and spun around to leave because the Matrix had introduced him to a Hypodermic.

WGI_2104.JPG

·
Registered
Scorpyd Aculeus 460, Excal paradox.
22 Posts
Had probably my best hunting year in 2020. Mostly with whitetail. I went for spring turkey (which was disapointing despite my best efforts), fall Blackbear, and whitetail. All taken with Scorpyd Aculeus using 125gr 1.5" NAP Spitfires.
1. 100lb sow

2. 110lb boar

3. A three deer day with family.

4. 130" 10-point.

5. A 160" 245lb 12-point. My largest deer.

6. Last, but not least. A 180lb forkey to close the year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First year hunting with my PSE Thrive 365 and I was fortunate enough to get my nuisance doe tag filled as well as my regular doe tag filled. Hopefully I am able to get a buck next year. Awesome time hunting this year and very happy with my crossbow. I used 100 grain Rage hypodermics and they are absolutely deadly.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Had probably my best hunting year in 2020. Mostly with whitetail. I went for spring turkey (which was disapointing despite my best efforts), fall Blackbear, and whitetail. All taken with Scorpyd Aculeus using 125gr 1.5" NAP Spitfires.
1. 100lb sow
View attachment 190163
2. 110lb boar
View attachment 190164
3. A three deer day with family.
View attachment 190165
4. 130" 10-point.
View attachment 190166
5. A 160" 245lb 12-point. My largest deer.
View attachment 190167
6. Last, but not least. A 180lb forkey to close the year.
View attachment 190168
Congratulations on a super year. Your 160" buck is a true trophy rack. With all those kills you probably need a bigger freezer!

Reactions: Mihajlo Simsic

·
Registered
Scorpyd Aculeus 460, Excal paradox.
22 Posts
Congratulations on a super year. Your 160" buck is a true trophy rack. With all those kills you probably need a bigger freezer!
Thanks! Four out of our five freezers are used just for meat haha. A total of 21 cubic feet. Got to oppurtunity to fill the freezers of friends as well!

321 - 338 of 338 Posts