Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To learn more I have posted my unboxing in the Barnett forum. All I had to do was add shims to the flight rail. That's a very easy fix. Con: I do no not know why the MAJORITY of OEM's miss this detail with excessive downward bowstring pressure on the shooting rail. Thank's to Bunnyrabbits fix I expected this and fixed that easily with 1/8" aluminum flat stock you can purchase at Lowes for less then $6. I have pics of the shims/spacer posted as part of my unboxing.

I have chrono pics and I was shocked when this Xbow spec'd to shoot 380 grain arrows at 400fps. NO, I HAVE NOT ADVANCED CAMS! This Xbow way exceeds it's specs out of the box. Also, with the attached Halo scope this xbow weighs in at 7.1lbs. That is quite impressive. Can't wait to pair up my Vortex Crossfire II XBR2 scope with this crossbow. Also, the price is very light on the wallet and the fit and finish has been greatly improved.

I purchased this xbow because:
1. Familiar with my TS370 and it's my position the most underrated Xbow on the market when factoring performance and price. Also, I know the flight rail stock very well and it's very similar to the 400XP.
2. Trigger Tech: arguably the best trigger on the market out of the box and will compete with Xbows that cost 1-3k.
3 Weight: I was a doubting Thomas when Barnett spec'd this Xbow at 6.2lbs without a scope. I was shocked when I weigedt mine with the scope and it came in at 7.06 to 7.1lbs. It's gotta be the lightest Xbow to shoot 400 grain arrows over 400fps that cost less then $500. Real speeds and no advancing cams.
4. Cosmetics: The STRIKE Camo pattern is vey high end.

To the detractors, go ahead with your "Never ever" comments that doesn't take away from a great price point Xbow that delivers. There are other great offerings to the masses that doesn't require 1-3k to purchase a Xbow that works. Trust me I can shoot just as accurate as any Xbow regardless of price with a scope out to 100 yards with my TS370 and expect the same with the XP400. Enjoy the major spend and I'm quite happy for you. I am sure there are always good reasons to do so. Enjoy, that makes a diverse society like ours so great and I'm happy for those who approach their hunting approach with zeal regardless of price! 馃槑

Reactions: SEW and bunnyrabbit

Registered
Tom, does the change in the string contact with the rail eliminate the need for lubricant?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Good question. I鈥檓 conditioned to put it on. I don鈥檛 have hard data to confirm Yea or nay. Per bunnyrabbit I use trident silicone grease. It鈥檚 nothing like wax. It doesn鈥檛 evaporate and last much longer than rail wax. I apply once every 20 plus shots. Often I just use what鈥檚 Still on the rail after 20 shots to spread a thin film on my rail with my finger. Also, never have to worry about wax build up in the trigger box. It鈥檚 very inexpensive and highly viscosity to the touch.

Reactions: SEW and bunnyrabbit

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, does the change in the string contact with the rail eliminate the need for lubricant?
Archer, if you go see my pics in Barnett forum you will see an ever slight gap of light between the Xbow bowstring and the rail. I could slide a piece of paper between the string and the rail. In my opinion this is now approaching a frictionless rail experience because of Bunnyrabbit's shim fix. I did this shim upgrade to my TS370 and had many more shots left in my OEM strings but wanted to try Marty's strings. At that point I was at 760 shots on OEM strings. To me that is amazingly positive for string longevity.

Bunnyrabbit you are the man and deserves so much credit.

Registered
Archer, if you go see my pics in Barnett forum you will see an ever slight gap of light between the Xbow and the rail. I could slide a piece of paper between the string and the rail. In my opinion this is now approaching a frictionless rail experience because of Bunnyrabbit's shim fix. I did this shim upgrade to my TS370 and had many more shots left in my OEM strings but wanted to try Marty's strings. At that point I was at 760 shots on OEM strings. To me that is amazingly positive for string longevity.

Bunnyrabbit you are the man and deserves so much credit.
Exactly. That's why I feel rail lubricant is not needed in your case. You still have to wax the strings and treat the servings though. Actually, if you think about it, by Manufacturers recommending rail lube they are admitting to string pressure on the rail.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Exactly. That's why I feel rail lubricant is not needed in your case. You still have to wax the strings and treat the servings though. Actually, if you think about it, by Manufacturers recommending rail lube they are admitting to string pressure on the rail.
That is an insightful comment. Hmmmm.... Right now I'm trained like Pavlov's dog. ;)

It's worth a go. I'll try this to see if there is premature wear. If so Marty will be getting a call from me. :cool: So going forward I'm going to shoot 100 shots and will not lube my rail. Makes sense to me to at least try it. (y)

It's my Xbow and I will do this. Now I will wax my strings and treat my center serving as needed.

Note: I'm quite anal and keep logs of my shots. Stay tuned. I'll report back later.

Reactions: archer36

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just registered my 400XP with Plano/Barnett. Come September Barnett will be offering a new CCD for these new XP models and their other Xbow releases. The CS agent, oh, by the way, it took me less then two minutes to speak with shared he personally has tested the new CCD's and said the improved the crank power down to 15lbs of torque to crank cock 200lb limbs on my 400XP. I shared that I was quite disappointed in my TS370 and he agreed and said Barnett went back to the drawing board to correct this Gen1 CCD. Also, shared the new CCD's will also have a sled. No more hooks. That is promising and gets my attention.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I told him about the shim fix to level the bow string and he was aware people were doing this. I told him why don't they just manufacture a fix so people don't have to do this TLC fix. He said that he'd pass it along. Sigh! LOL

Tom,
I get much more enjoyment out of lower priced, or used , xbows than more expensive ones. I just tried the Trident silicon last week. Rail, serving, string, over 50 shots thru each SWAT XP and no reapplication appears needed. Where was it all my life?

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Tom,
I get much more enjoyment out of lower priced, or used , xbows than more expensive ones. I just tried the Trident silicon last week. Rail, serving, string, over 50 shots thru each SWAT XP and no reapplication appears needed. Where was it all my life?
I know right both the xbow journeys but score on the trident silicone grease. 馃槑

1 - 10 of 10 Posts