Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally took some time off from building Welding Centers, Torch Carts, and modifying Harley's with Campers and hitches, filling freezers with fish, and spring cleanups,, to do something with the Buck I shot last year with the revolver during Ohio's gun season.

Was at a buddies a few weeks ago and got a an idea from him for a not just a way to display it, but to keep it from hanging on another wall but to use up some old horns I didn't mount. Not bad and easy to put where ever,, plus the wife liked it, and is relieved that I won't be taking more pictures down to hand another.

Now I just need to decide where it will be best observed,, I also did the same with a scrub I shot a few years back when I lost most of my grocery filler ground! This was only my second attempt at making a scull mount, the first I had to glue some teeth back into,,, lesson learned on over boiling! This one came out much more to my liking, but after mounting it to the horns, I decided to to mount the one I did a few years ago to a old shed antler I had that has a fair amount of chewing on it, it did get a a couple more antlers out of the boxes and put to use.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drilled a small pilot hole first through the two antlers I used for the base after I had them arranged for a solid base, then used the drill bit for a pin to set the skull on and locate a hole in the proper position to drill the hole through the top antler into the skull, This let me easily lift it off the bottom antler to check the location three or four times to assure the right location and where to drill for the skull to top antler.

I then opened both up to just enough to cut threads with the right length course deck screws. after the skull is mounted to the top antler I then screwed the bottom antler to the skull mounted antler. Leaves some wiggle room to fine adjust how you want it centered. I will squirt some 2-1 epox in the two joints and when they harden it will be one,, maybe,, its solid enough if people don't handle it the way it is.

But take your time and start small with the drill bit, I was told it's easy to crack or chip out the exit side?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guy's,, my buddy should do these as a taxidermy service, or the ones he does to make custom knife holders out of, that he makes with antler handles. He really has a great imagination for creating some neat antler projects, he gets from buying finding and his own kills he mounts. He even has a couple like the one I did, and adds the blade slot in the scull mount for his custom boot knives with antler handle's he makes to fit snugly and invisibly when in it.

I was going to mount it on a pine log wedge I had cut from a large Michigan pine log,, but he talked to me into trying this,, glad I did. I might just try and build an antler base to mount my custom Antler handled steel and Antler handled boot knife in,,,, after I get the new front suspension project I am doing on the Softglide, going fully adjustable! I got plenty of solo distancing projects,, I just hope my neighbors don't think somethings wrong over here with so many projects getting done this spring and summer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts