Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Considering this for my 1st crossbow for hunting. Is the improved CCD much better then the previous? Is it even needed? Doesn't it use a noisy ratcheting mechanism that wouldn't be optimal under hunting conditions?
Any other improvements over the older models?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Here are a few improvements I see over the earlier Barnett Ghost and Buck Commander series
that I have:
1)changed to a fibre glass riser from Carbonite. Carbonite did not like vibration or twisting when cocking and shooting.
2)the two large holes in the riser now have a gusset for added strength.
3)the string stops on the Barnett's are none adjustable which is required for tuning.
4)one is limited on speed due to narrowing the riser when measured across the humps of the limb rockers. The
limbs on the newer crossbows have been shortened from 12 1/2" to 11".
5)a narrower crossbow is ideal for hunting from a tree stand or blind.
6)Trigger tech is a large improvement. The earlier models had tiny springs to return the tumbler (latch) to prepare
for cocking and after the crossbow was cocked. These could fail at any time (few or many shots).
7)Barnett's cranking device goes clickity click when having the safety ratchet engaged.

Check out Feredyne Outdoors in the U.S. for the Rocky Mountain 415 crossbow. This is a rebranded Carbon Express.
One can purchase the crank system that plugs into the back of the stock for cocking and then remove it. The system is
silent, well built and very safe. One can stop cocking any where in the cycle. If ones hand came off the crank or the
handle came off, there is no chance of back spin or a dry fire. This crossbow is built in Taiwan. Cheap to purchase
here but do a currency conversion to their money and one sees what it is worth. The scope is a fixed 4 power with
blue, red or black settings. Other crossbow scopes use green, red or black settings.

I recently purchased this crossbow model and have approximately 70 shots on it. It is advertised to shoot a 380 grain
arrow-point combination at 415 feet per second. Out of the box it shot 401. I tuned it and did a couple modifications
and now it shoots that arrow at 432 feet per second. Shooting a 20" Carbon Express Pile Driver 450 grain arrow-point
combination at 402 to 405 feet per second. My crossbows are all modified for target shooting and shoot well over the
manufactures advertised speed. I have not used scopes that come with crossbows as I am using rifle scopes with side
parallax and higher power for target shooting.

I shoot Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows in all my crossbows. These are made in Korea. This is in small print on
the arrow. China has recently built similar arrows with the pile driver label. These have made in China in small print
as well. I have a few that came with a crossbow but have never shot those. Korea arrows are very high quality and
extremely accurate if your crossbow is properly tuned and using a good rest.

Wishing you all the best with what ever you choose.
Take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The Rocky Mountain 415 crossbow is better then the Raptor Pro STR? Quality? I certainly prefer the price and speed.
Seems to be sold out everywhere.
What modifications have you done?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
The Rocky Mountain 415 crossbow is better then the Raptor Pro STR? Quality? I certainly prefer the price and speed.
The few days I have had this crossbow and shot it, it is much higher quality than Barnett's. I shoot Barnett Ghost 410,
Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite and a 2019 Barnett Droptine STR.

The Rocky Mountain 415 has 215 draw weight limbs. The string stops are adjustable for tuning and the string stop rods
are off set allowing for rotation for hook or sled clearance. The rubber string stops can be rotated with a firm grip and the
rubber stops are very high quality. As one nears the last 3 to 4 inches when cocking, the crossbow has a let off making for
easier cocking whether with a rope or the crank cocking device. The company offers a two year warranty. I purchased mine
from Cabela's Canada where they offer a 90 day warranty.

a little tip in regards to warranty. Yes, the high dollar crossbows may have longer warranty. The purchaser is paying for this in the
high price of the crossbow. Unless one is doing an aweful lot of shooting, the parts are not going to get worn out or damaged. Now
one can see the extra money these companies are collecting. There is no warranty on strings and cables plus some other parts as
this is called normal wear. Warranty on most crossbows is not transferable but only for the original purchaser.

Barnett when in Florida advertised their crossbows with a 5 year warranty. Contacting them when I still had 2 years warranty
left, the parts I required, they had none and advised me to purchase a new crossbow. This is when I purchased a Carbon Express
X Force 390 Pile Driver. This crossbow is no longer available due to a report I read over patent problems. Rocky Mountain
took over and these crossbows are very similar with the 415 having higher draw weight limbs. The 415 does not have the adjustable
stock. Tuned the way I have mine it has fair recoil, but set up in a high quality rifle jig, I hold it tight to my shoulder and a firm grip
on the fore arm of the stock. The fore arm of the stock is adjustable by removing two bolts and sliding the fore arm along a picatinny
style rail, then re installing the bolts.

Target shooting, I shoot thousands of shots in a year as I have been testing different targets for stopping power, different string and
cable systems. Shooting in my shop at 17 1/2 feet from the front of the crossbow to the front of the target, gives these targets a real
test. Being in Canada, it costs a lot on currency conversion when importing from the U.S. I pay on the product, shipping and import fee.
As an example, I purchase string and cables from 60X which are very high quality. Their string and cable system for a Barnett lists at
$89.95 U.S. By the time I receive it I am looking close to $150.00 Canadian. There fore when new I add an additional layer of BCY .030
to the serving in the arrow-latch area. This will only work when using 1/2 moon nocks as one is not restricted in serving diameter.

Thanks for inquiring and all the best with what ever you choose.
Take care.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I had a 2018 Raptor Pro STR and absolutely had a great ownership experience. Shot great, I beat the crap out of it and it held up extremely well. Never had one issues with that Xbow. Easy to rope cock and very accurate.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I considered the Hyperghost 405, but the hyperflite arrows are ridiculously expensive and can't use illuminated nocks. What is Barnett thinking?
Does the Raptor have a long LOP? Their website says it has a "lengthened stock...full framed shooters". I have a relatively short rifle stock LOP for being 5'10". 28" draw length on my compound. ??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Raptor is due tomorrow! Ordered some Bloodsort Witness arrows too. I hope my G5 Striker V2's have adequate clearance.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
Good luck! I liked mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shot bullseye consistently at 50 yrds with my one and only arrow. Pleasantly surprised. 1st shot sailed way over the target. Gone. My G5 striker V2's blade hits the riser. If I could turn the broadhead slightly it would clear. Washers? Do the Bloodsport Witness arrows come with the inserts loose so I can time the broadhead blades?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
If you could find a tiny flat washer, this may work. It will add a bit more weight.
As for Blood Sport Witness as well as other arrows, the inserts are glued in. It
would not be a problem if you were shooting aluminum arrows as one could
heat the end and remove the insert. The other solution would be to refletch the
arrow and rotate the nock providing it was not glued in.

I cut a few Carbon Express Pile Driver arrows down for test purposes (insert
end). I then installed the broad head into the insert. Applied hot melt glue and
aligned the arrow shaft vane to match. These were 3 blade heads. The blade
that is aligned with the cock vane is in the arrow groove (short arrow shaft and
1/16" diameter broad head). Two blade fixed would be horizontal. Mechanicals
would be no problem.

As for the lost arrow if you have not located it, put an arrow or stake in the ground
where you shot from. Using it and your target or a stake where your target was at for
reference points, your arrow will be in that line of sight unless it hit something and
ricocheted.
All the best.
Take care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I searched for a couple hours with a metal detector, but no luck. Apparently a portal opened up at just the right time. Only rational explanation. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts