Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to try some aluminum arrows in my Buck Buster, 20" arrows, 150 lbs. Which weight would be best with 100 or 125 gr Muzzy's ? Thanks

·
310 Posts
tc scout said:
Would like to try some aluminum arrows in my Buck Buster, 20" arrows, 150 lbs. Which weight would be best with 100 or 125 gr Muzzy's ? Thanks
TC Scout,
I would shoot the 100 grn Muzzy with the 2219.
Remember to check alignment of the broadhead to the shaft (spin test). If it spins, it will fly.

Thanks,
Hoss

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hoss, will give the 2219's a try. Have lots of Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade broadheads (have used them in my Hoyt compound for years with good results). Haven't tried the Muzzy's on the carbons that came with my bow yet.

·
310 Posts
tc scout said:
Thanks Hoss, will give the 2219's a try. Have lots of Muzzy 100 gr 3 blade broadheads (have used them in my Hoyt compound for years with good results). Haven't tried the Muzzy's on the carbons that came with my bow yet.
TC Scout,
I love the muzzy braodheads. Have shot a couple of hogs, and several deer with them.
Remember to spin them. If it spins, it will fly.

Thanks,
Hoss

·
Registered
112 Posts
What is your reasoning for using aluminum? I have had much higher success with carbon, regardless of crossbow or vertical. If you have asked around I am sure you have heard the pros and cons but if not I will offer mine.

Think about it and make the decision best for your application. Best of luck this season!

·
1,222 Posts
Wart -

Can you explain "success"?

I have and shoot both. As long as they are simillar in weight...they shoot very much the same for me!

Mike

·
57 Posts
Mike said:
Wart -

Can you explain "success"?

I have and shoot both. As long as they are simillar in weight...they shoot very much the same for me!

Mike
For one thing carbons are either straight or broken.....no inbetween. Aluminum can be slightly bent without much notice until you shoot it 325 fps. Carbons are usually lighter but that isn't always the very best thing.

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking for the extra weight so I wouldn't have to buy 125 gr broadheads. Have used aluminums for years in my compound. Did buy some Bemans for my compound but didn't get a chance to shoot them, probably won't this year. I have an arrow straightner which also checks straightness, so they all get checked on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you want to just try a couple 2219s, Wally World now carries them in bulk with 5" vanes. Locally, south of Atlanta, they're $4 with moon nocks. If you need flat nocks just cut off the ears and sand smooth.

·
310 Posts
Gray Fox said:
If you want to just try a couple 2219s, Wally World now carries them in bulk with 5" vanes. Locally, south of Atlanta, they're $4 with moon nocks. If you need flat nocks just cut off the ears and sand smooth.
All,
Just shoot the moon.

Hoss

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
"Carbons are usually lighter but that isn't always the very best thing."
Actually that can be a good thing. Lighter arrows means that you can use a heavier tip for more FOC. I use a brass insert in my Gold Tips to get an FOC over 20%, that makes them fly. I using arrows that don't take an insert, I use heavier heads..like 125 or more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have moved to shooting strictly carbons since I bought my Desert Stryker. With the wicked fast speed and killer accuracy at short range there is too much potential for bent aluminum.

If it is extra weight you are looking for then shop around for carbon arrows. Stryker makes a heavy one as well as Carbon Express. And if you can't reach the total weight you want I would suggest considering weight tubes inside a carbon shaft. I made a bunch to take on my South Africa trip but then changed bows and did not need them. If you are shooting an Excalibur then a heavy arrow will significantly quiet the bow.

Good luck!

·
57 Posts
20% FOC

Cossack said:
" I use a brass insert in my Gold Tips to get an FOC over 20%, that makes them fly. I using arrows that don't take an insert, I use heavier heads..like 125 or more.
I would think at some point in continuing to move the balance of the arrow toward the front would be counter productive. Over 20% seems like a lot.
I shoot Beman carbons at FOC of around 12%. Is over 20% common practice?

Doug

1 - 14 of 14 Posts