Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's a personal preference subject, but I have never hunted with a crossbow before. Any recommended broadheads for a 260 fps bow? I am leaning towards a fixed blade, because I am not sure if a mechanical head.
will open correctly with slower speeds.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
The mechs will work. They did with my slow vertical bow and they work just fine with my 305 fps Excal. Fixed will too. Just find what you like that shoot good. Good luck.:)

·
2,720 Posts
I had an older Horton Explorer for my first Crossbow. I would guess it shot around 260 - 270 FPS on it's best day shooting Muzzy 100 gr 4 blade out of it and they worked perfect. But I also shoot Muzzy 100 gr 4 blade out of a micro 355. The truth is a properly tuned Bow / Arrow combo will or should shoot any Broadhead you screw to the end.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have had good luck with Swhacker 1.75" cut mechanicals at that speed out of my compound bow. I have shot many deer with it and I have always had a pass through. My longest shot was at 53 yards. Remember at those speeds, buy the one for compound bows and not crossbows. Death By Bungie on YouTube shoots Rage Hypodermics out of his Excalibur at about 280. He will shoot nothing else.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've been using Slick Trick standards, 1 inch cut, 125 grain broadheads on my Excalibur Grizzly. My bow has been crono'd at only 290 fps. Pass through shots every time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Death by Bungie is a great guy to watch. I think I read he is an attorney, iirc.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know it's a personal preference subject, but I have never hunted with a crossbow before. Any recommended broadheads for a 260 fps bow? I am leaning towards a fixed blade, because I am not sure if a mechanical head.
will open correctly with slower speeds.
Thoughts?
That 260 fps are the average speed of a heavier hunting arrow from a vertical compound.
Don't see a reason why this should limit your choices.

·
Registered
9,306 Posts
Killed my first xbox deer shooting around 250 fps with a regular Rage 2inch cut. Pass through with a 415 gn arrow. Arrow weight has a lot more to do with penetration than speed imo. Keep your shots 25 yards and under in the rib cage vital area and most heads will do fine as long as your arrow isn't real light. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts