Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been an avid hunter with a rifle for over 40 years but this year I decided to join my oldest son with his bow hunting and get some additional time to enjoy the pursuit of the infamous 'big buck'. Now with me hitting 60 this year, I was not going to even attempt to use a bow similar to his. It has been over 25 years since I last hunted with any type of bow so I did my research, watched pricing and opinions and equipped myself with a Crossbow, aftermarket nocks, bolts, broad heads, foam block targets and numerous other toys to get through this season. I'm used to be sitting up 10-12' in the air, surrounded by wood, clear or tinted glass and visibility through my scope of over hundreds of yards and for 2019, pulling the trigger, launching the bullet at a moving target a couple hundred yards away was an every year occurrence. but this year I will be on the ground in a cloth material type of blind with no bottom. Poisonous snakes and spider and everything else that lives on or around the ground that can just come visit me while I'm looking out for my kill. Now don't get me wrong, I have no issues tarantulas, and many snakes, actually having had them as pets, but sitting in the dark, quiet on the ground, figuring this will be a different type of hunt. Walking , hiding might be a better way to go but the issue is in Central Texas where we hunt, thick brush, Thorny Mesquite everywhere along with , yep, Texas cactus..
Well putting all of this behind me. My bag is packed, ice chest full of water, and all my equipment lies in waiting in the garage. I have the final count down and in three days at approx. 5am, I will be set, adrenalin flowing and waiting for all the deer that we have seen in the game cameras to come walking in and pay me a visit. Allowing me the honor the Deer, to fill my freezer, fill the jerky drawer and bring another year of great tasting meat from my bbq pit to our table. I found this on another sight and felt it does the hunt justice. I bow my head and Pray
Heavenly father, to you I pray,
A majestic deer may come my way.
Let my aim be straight and true,
this my Lord, I pray to you.

A swift clean kill is what I ask,
Take his spirit swift and fast.
For his last breath should not be,
One of pain or agony.

Let his soul,
Come to Thee,
To roam your heavens,
Wild and free

Good Luck to all Hunters, be safe and bountiful.

·
Registered
13,341 Posts
Well said prayer....and good luck to ya this coming season.:)

Reactions: SA Johnboy

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Wishing you the best this season!

Reactions: SA Johnboy

·
Registered
190 Posts
a new world for you is opening up!

get out there and have a blast. remember the basics and enjoy your time with earlier hunting and spending time with family.

camo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hunting is a great family time . My grandfather hunted with my dad in up state NY when he was young. We have been in Texas since the early 70's, My dad was in the military, I have hunted with my dad and my kids have all hunted with the both of us. He is the one that taught all of us including my daughter to hit a target at 300 yards. Focusing on wind or lack of, obstructions or clean plain of sight, angles, slowing of your heart or pulse ,breathing, motion of the game and most of all Patients. Since he passed a couple of years ago, All the kids still talk about his crazy antics while hunting like smoking in the blind 12-15 ft high, yet he would still get bucks year after year and year. Things we do not even dare do. Now with my oldest two kids having kids, This year will be the first year I take out my 7 year old grandson. Not sure if he will sleep all morning or be awake, but either way it don't matter. He will continue the family tradition. He shoots his 243 in a 3-4" grouping at 50 yards with the scope and has brought to dinner ( our dinner) many rabbits while shooting my Remington 1022 . Congrats to all those out there with the kills and to the one just going out, Good Luck!

Reactions: smong2000

·
Registered
219 Posts
Good luck out there! No Tarantula's or poisonous snakes in michigan... but a lot of obnoxious poison oak, poison sumac and poison Ivy I seem to run into more than I would like.

Good luck to ALL the members here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, 102+ degrees on Sat and nothing was moving except for the mosquitos. and as proof, Only in Texas does the temp and humidity get so high that my ground blind was sweating, On another note, I bought some blinking nocks for early morning and late dusk shooting but i cant get the old nocks off the bolts. I've tried everything but still wont budge. Any trick? I have my bolts listed in my profile

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts