Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working to get a crossbow division/class allowed in some of the local 3D tournaments and finally have one archery club agreeing to give it a shot. It's interesting that the comments from vertical bow shooters, when they see us shooting crossbows, have been positive. I shot the first tournament with a friend of mine that shoots traditional class with a recurve bow so other shooters would see that it is possible for both methods of archery to be compatible. I'm quite pleased with the results so far but it is a struggle to get crossbow shooters "out of the closet" :p since they've been brainwashed by certain bowhunting organizations to actually believe crossbows are from the dark side. We are determined to change that perception.

Let us know of any successes you've had with getting crossbows allowed in
3D tournaments in your area.

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's wide open here but if it catches on

I'm sure there will be some restrictions or guidelines to go by. Maybe a speed limit. We are shooting from the open class vertical bow stakes. This club is not sanctioned by any of the organizations like IBO or ASA.

·
27 Posts
I have yet to see any 3D crossbow shoots in Connecticut i have ask a few guys on my website if their clubs allow crossbows at their 3Dshoots they all say no.
I am thinking of trying to get one going at the club i belong to i think if i can get one started more will join in there is alot of people in conn that shoot crossbows ,..;)

·
29 Posts
3D Shoots

You may want to review the IBO & NFAA Crossbow rules, if you follow those then you would be shooting legal in most tournaments. The NFAA rules are also based on the World Crossbow Shooting Association Sport Crossbow rules which can be found at: www.worldcrossbow.com

·
11,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shot a 3D tournament yesterday

shooting from the open class vertical bow stakes. I shot a 279 out of a possible 300. I had a brain hiccup on a 35 yard shot and shot it for 45 by mistake and got a 5 out of it:ack2::cool: The highest score shot in the open class for vertical bows was 286 I think. My goal is to shoot in the mid 280's and I know I can do it if I can shoot a complete round with no idiotic mistakes using the wrong dot:D I shot this tournament with my Excal Vortex.

·
9 Posts
Most tournaments in Ontario now have a xbow category. We went through the same problems, and the class is growing. It needs some sensible rules - like cock the xbow only after you get to the shooting stake. It works fine. Because of the difficulties of mastering coupounds, guys who would otherwise never compete have fun together. They are a little hard on targets, but so what. They pay their shooting fees.
Indoor is a different problem. I am liberal minded, but I don't want to shoot beside one on a shooting line. But let them compete in 3d. Some may be surprised at how badly they do, and that's fine. If they keep at it, they will be better hunters. Better they improve their distance skills than trying for 600 fps. Above all, be safe and have fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our Club is now allowing Crossbows at the 3D shoots, and on all the Ranges. We are a Archery Only Club, but as of this year we are allowing XBow shooters full membership and use of the Indoor, Outdoor, and Field/Walking Courses.

XBows at 3D shoots has only been about 1% of shoters Registered.

www.LimerickBowmen.com

We don't have any Restrictions, I don't know how the small targets, like the Rinehart Skunk and Small Bear, will hold up to the fastest Bolts, but unless it becomes a problem, we will continue the Practice.
If Someone comes with a very fast one, I'll just have him shoot a small target at the Practice Range to see what happens. I'm curious.

Most of the XBow shooters I've seen aren't as accurate as the good 3D Compound Bow shooters anyway.:)

·
248 Posts
3D Archery

The clubs that I shoot at have a few of use using crossbows. There is no class so i just shoot for practice. I'm shooting higher scores now with my crossbow.

·
316 Posts
My sportsmen's club, which is primarily a gun club, has an archery division with a range & a 3-D course. They're rules DO NOT allow xbows on their 3-D course because they say they destoy their targets. :p I didn't actually talk yet to the head of it but it sounds like they might have once allowed them.

They have a "block" that they said must be used on the range for xbows. So, at least they provide a target there. I don't know how good it will be for a high powered xbow if I buy one.

Kutter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts