Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a new target capable of stopping bolts @ or above 470 fps. Shooting tenpoint Nitro XRT.

I've looked into the no speed limit spyderweb and the Big shot express 500. Those are great, but I was hoping to be able to practice on a 3D Whitetail without destroying bolts or killing the tree behind it on a pass through.

Has anyone found anything that works for this in a 3D?

·
Premium Member
6,003 Posts
Im looking to buy a new target capable of stopping bolts @ or above 470 fps. Shooting tenpoint Nitro XRT.

I've looked into the no speed limit spyderweb and the Big shot express 500. Those are great, but I was hoping to be able to practice on a 3D Whitetail without destroying bolts or killing the tree behind it on a pass through.

My opinion, 3D targets are not designed for crossbows, let alone the high speed ones.
If your arrows did not pass through, one will need a winch to pull them out. Carbon arrows
generate heat causing the foam in the targets to bond to them.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
I agree with BunnyRabbit.
Way too much power using 470fps arrows.
i don't think 3D target technology has caught up, not even to 400fps, really.
Get a 3D target for a base and cut an 18" SpyderWeb NO SPEED LIMIT into it LOL.
Field points only, of course!

·
13,181 Posts
My opinion, 3D targets are not designed for crossbows, let alone the high speed ones.
If your arrows did not pass through, one will need a winch to pull them out. Carbon arrows
generate heat causing the foam in the targets to bond to them.

Wishing you all the best.
Take care.
That's the truth ... We qualify participants in DMPs and it's gotten to the point where it takes two sometimes 3 people to pull arrows out of 3D targets these days. Gets even worse when the targets get to be a few years old. And that's been with crossbows that aren't even the newer superbows.

·
13,181 Posts

I have ... the 24" Big Shot Extreme 500 and frankly I'm not too impressed. Only have about a dozen shots into it and the arrows are already burying within a couple inches of the vanes out of a 450fps Ravin R29X at 30 yards.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That a
I agree with BunnyRabbit.
Way too much power using 470fps arrows.
i don't think 3D target technology has caught up, not even to 400fps, really.
Get a 3D target for a base and cut an 18" SpyderWeb NO SPEED LIMIT into it LOL.
Field points only, of course!
That actually isn't a crazy idea. GlenDel and Spyderweb need to do a project together. They have 14" inserts for the bigger GlenDel buck. Probably wouldn't be too difficult for spyderweb to modify the 14" no speed limit. Would be about a $40 difference between the replacement core cost and the actual cost of the 14" spyderweb.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
I have ... the 24" Big Shot Extreme 500 and frankly I'm not too impressed. Only have about a dozen shots into it and the arrows are already burying within a couple inches of the vanes out of a 450fps Ravin R29X at 30 yards.
If you start getting to the fletching I would give them a call. They confirmed with me that I got a target that either wasn't packed tight enough or had sub standard filling. They were going to send me a new 500 but let me pay the extra and upgrade to the kinetic 650 no questions asked. Had the new target in 2 days. They stop now!

This was shot from my Vapor at 80 yards! 😠
Plant Grass Mesh Rectangle Font

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like the Bull dog targets. Used this one since 2020 with a tenpoint RS470 and as you can see it was in need of the replacement covers Bulldog supplies for free. Second photo is after being recovered which took 15 minutes. Arrows also pull out with two fingers even at 20 yards. Very nice target for faster crossbows.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts