1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many do out there in the nation I make my own targets up

Makes sense right? Why buy targets when you can easily make them at home

But what if you could put together a simple target format with stuff that most folk can get their hands on around the house and use that target to judge how good your shooting is in regards to your fellow Crossbow enthusiast anywhere in the world,,, Just by posting a picture and comparing results on CBN

TARGET:

The Target is simple take a cd or dvd and using it as your template draw 4 circles with a felt pen on a piece of paper,,, space them out so there is no less than ½ inch apart,,,, two across the top and two across the bottom.

Then take the top off a WD 40 can and use that to draw a circle anywhere in the circle you just made with the cd or dvd ,,, It must however touch at one point the large circle ( see attachment )

Take the target paper you just made and tape it to your target bag or whatever you use.

Measure out 30 yards and place a marker on the ground,,,, Anything you like.

WD 40 template circle 1" 3/8th 35 mm
CD / DVD template circle 4.7 inches 120mm ( add the thickness of your marker to get overall width of circles )

RULES:

1,Take as many practice shots as you like prior to submitting your post, but they cannot be at the target you’re going to post

2, The target paper you post can only have 4 arrows showing,,,,, One arrow per target ,,,,, No other holes showing in any part of the paper,,,, If there is, the post doesn’t score any points

( Score from top left to lower right 8,12,12,10 = 42 )

3, You can’t color in the circles ,,, you can use a thicker marker if your eyes can’t pick up the circle lines within reason ( No bingo chisel markers size lol )

4, All shots should be taken from a standing position and unsupported by a rest of any type, if you can’t do that just post (Taken with pod rest or bench rest)

5, All shots must be taken from behind the 30 yard line you marked.

6, No greater than 6 power setting on your scope

Take a picture and post your results,,, if you can’t take a picture just post your score.

The idea is for you to gauge your ability’s against others in a friendly self-challenge.

You probably realize the target is based on a ASA 3D format

You score as follows:

12 points for inside the smallest circle
10 points for inside the large circle
8 points if you outside the large circle

(Touch a line,,,Highest score ring counts )

Canuck👍

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Caught a break in our never ending rain. Ran down and made a target, but I could only get 3 circles on an 8x10, so grabbed the bow and 3 arrows. No warm up shots taken.

20210522_171741.jpg

Shot at 30 yards, offhand, standing. Excalibur Matrix 330, Excalibur Vari-Zone scope at about 3.5x matching the arrows 308 fps. Homemade 18" Easton XX75 2216 arrows, Arizona EP-40 vanes, and a PDP aluminum flat nock.

Pulled the first shot a bit right. Looks to be 34 points for the 3 shots.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There, problem solved. Thought about it a minute and just pulled the first three so I could shoot a fourth. Same bow and arrows.

20210522_174307.jpg

Hope that's ok. So total is now 46 for the 4 shots.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well I said 4 arrows in 4 targets as you proved with the pictures you posted you only shot 4 times ,,,,,,I believe no one can argue that score ,,,,,46 it is .
A whole bunch of years shooting 3-DS with everything from longbows, recurves, compounds, and crossbows finally paid off.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I had made 2 targets before shooting the other day and decided to mix it up a little. Took 4 hunting style shots from 50 yards sitting flat on the ground using my knee and homemade buffalo sticks to steady the bow.

Shot with my AP Wildfire II, with an Excalibur Shadow Zone scope set at 3.5x, 21" Easton XX75 2219s with 4" vanes, and 125 gr points.

The first 3 looked good from 50 on 3.5x, but were a touch tall when I walked down to pull them. The scope is set for 125 gr Muzzys. Corrected and held at 6 o'clock on the 12 ring for my 4th shot.

20210524_130048.jpg

20210524_130733.jpg

I'll happily take a score of 42 at 50 yards shooting off sticks anyday!

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It's a lot harder then it looks , and i think part of that is your not aiming at a well defined target with say different colors to mark the center ring ,,,,,, That old saying,
Aim small, miss small can't be done so easy with this type of target .

I found if i used the same target idea but used the hole in the CD / DVD to make a black solid dot ,,,,although i usually didn't hit the dot at the same 30 yards ,,,I got a whole lot closer to it then getting an arrow in the WD40 template circle...

·
2,553 Posts
It's very good freehand practice if nothing else. The one where i hit high i remember thinking play it safe you don't want to drop out of the ring lol. About like taking a shot at a deer there's times where you play it safe. Shooting freehand and back off the shoulder.

I used to say shooting my trad bows. I might miss a basketball but if i put soft ball in front of it. I might miss the softball but i'll never miss the basketball. And if i put a golf ball in front of the softball well you get it lol.

If you do this exercise imo it will help you with both your ability and confidence in shooting freehand. If you never hit the WD40 cap but never miss the CD. You will kill every deer you shoot at.

Don't let people convince you, you gotta shoot 1 inch groups to kill a deer.

·
Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It's very good freehand practice if nothing else. The one where i hit high i remember thinking play it safe you don't want to drop out of the ring lol. About like taking a shot at a deer there's times where you play it safe. Shooting freehand and back off the shoulder.

I used to say shooting my trad bows. I might miss a basketball but if i put soft ball in front of it. I might miss the softball but i'll never miss the basketball. And if i put a golf ball in front of the softball well you get it lol.

If you do this exercise imo it will help you with both your ability and confidence in shooting freehand. If you never hit the WD40 cap but never miss the CD. You will kill every deer you shoot at.

Don't let people convince you, you gotta shoot 1 inch groups to kill a deer.
Absolutely ,,,,if your getting so close to that small circle ⭕ at 30 yards,,,Then placeing the same shot, with the same degree of accuracy at the center vital area of the game your hunting at 30 yards,,

Well I would be thinking your taking home just about anything you hunt ....

·
Registered
656 Posts
still waiting for customs to do something for my string and cables, but i do dry fire practise on pine needles at 25 to 80yards, rested tho, i only once have tested freehand dryfiring, pretty sure it will pay once i get my xbow back together

you pretty much dropped me at using cd, dont have those, but surely i will try these kind of targets

thank you Canuck

·
Registered
813 Posts
This is a great idea!

Maybe I will have some time this weekend. Even if I dont, it's a great idea and thanks to all for letting me see your rounds posted.
:)

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
I must have missed it but why aim at the small circle when it’s not in the middle of the large circle?

Found this online - not sure why the center circle is only worth 10 points?

fullsizeoutput_11a0.jpeg

·
2,553 Posts
It wasn't explained Tim. But like shooting a peep sight are eyes are drawn to the center of a ring. Placing the small ring in the center of the big ring makes it easier. Plus like i described i felt the pressure of hitting outside the larger ring and played it safe on my 2nd shot. I adjusted my mind set the 2 shots after that lol.

Its just a good exercise for those sharpening their skills shooting freehand.

At least thats my take on it, About like the 14 ring in your pic.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I must have missed it but why aim at the small circle when it’s not in the middle of the large circle?

Found this online - not sure why the center circle is only worth 10 points?
Its a safe zone and that is why.
View attachment 199328
The 12's sit next to the 8 and an err risks dropping 2 points as opposed to the center 10 which keeps err in the 10. The 12 is given as a bonus for the risk, should you hit the spot, as attempting to hit it could cost you big.
In some tournaments the center 10 would be a super X and is used to tabulate the winner in a tie breaker.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts