Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
103 Posts
I did something similar a few weeks ago. I wanted to see which one of my bows held the most steady from an unsupported position. I took three shots from each bow. The results were telling. The worst was the Excalibur Mag 340 and secondly my TenPoint Siege 410. The most steady holding bow was my husband's Excal 308 Short and my TenPoint Viper was a close second. I believe that both the 308 Short with dissipator bars and the Viper have more weight on the front end contributed to the bows holding more steady.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Well I took the challenge today. Hats off to all the 3D shooters and all you guys making this look easy. Wow that was tough. Give me a rest any day 😁. Took 2 warm up shots at the smaller dots on my target and knew it was not going to be really good. My first and last shot were good (lucky?), the other 2 not so much.... Might have to try it again someday when its not 90 out. 🤪

Screenshot_20210607-165441_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
611 Posts
Well I took the challenge today. Hats off to all the 3D shooters and all you guys making this look easy. Wow that was tough. Give me a rest any day 😁. Took 2 warm up shots at the smaller dots on my target and knew it was not going to be really good. My first and last shot were good (lucky?), the other 2 not so much.... Might have to try it again someday when its not 90 out. 🤪

View attachment 199551
Excellent shooting Jim. I’m jealous, I’m slaving at work and your off shooting arrows!! Well I’m not slaving really but at work!! 😂😂

·
Registered
Tenpoint Siege, Ripper 415, Vortex,
611 Posts

View attachment 199551
That’s an awful small wd-40 can. I’m gonna find the biggest one I can! Lol

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Excellent shooting Jim. I’m jealous, I’m slaving at work and your off shooting arrows!! Well I’m not slaving really but at work!! 😂😂
I had a crap day at work and decided I was gonna do it to blow off some steam. Once I left my air conditioned office and walked outside I almost change my mind but stayed the course... 6 shot and I had sweat pouring off me 😆. Probably should have waited until it cooled off some but then the 🦟 would have feasted on me. 😬 Have fun at work Joel! 🙃

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
That’s an awful small wd-40 can. I’m gonna find the biggest one I can! Lol
I actually didn't have a WD40 cap around and used the inside of a roll of electric tape. Looked about the right size but maybe it was a little smaller... 🤔🤷‍♂️ .... definitely wasn't any bigger ...at least thats my story. 🙄🤣

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well I took the challenge today. Hats off to all the 3D shooters and all you guys making this look easy. Wow that was tough. Give me a rest any day 😁
There's nothing wrong with that bunch of arrows. You are right, it is tough. First off, most crossbows are totally out of balance for off hand shooting. Poor stock fit for steady shooting without a rest too. Secondly, few of us regularly practice shooting off hand.

At a stationary target I use a Nordic stance. Lead arm braced against my rib cage. Same as you see cross country skiers using for rifle shooting in a winter biathlon. Much steadier, but that too takes practice to master.

Shooting 3Ds, rabbit or squirrel hunting in the off season with your crossbow, or just practicing without a rest regularly helps greatly.

I think back to becoming proficient shooting instinctive with a recurve. Spent many hours shooting tennis balls with Judo points at unknown ranges. Tough at first, but after a while most arrows sent that little yellow ball scooting. Your next shot was to where it stopped. Great practice and hours of fun!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
There's nothing wrong with that bunch of arrows. You are right, it is tough. First off, most crossbows are totally out of balance for off hand shooting. Poor stock fit for steady shooting without a rest too. Secondly, few of us regularly practice shooting off hand.

At a stationary target I use a Nordic stance. Lead arm braced against my rib cage. Same as you see cross country skiers using for rifle shooting in a winter biathlon. Much steadier, but that too takes practice to master.

Shooting 3Ds, rabbit or squirrel hunting in the off season with your crossbow, or just practicing without a rest regularly helps greatly.

I think back to becoming proficient shooting instinctive with a recurve. Spent many hours shooting tennis balls with Judo points at unknown ranges. Tough at first, but after a while most arrows sent that little yellow ball scooting. Your next shot was to where it stopped. Great practice and hours of fun!
Thats the same way I was holding it. Elbow in my ribs and foregrip resting in my palm. I have shot some off hand before but never at anything that small. All I could think of was my compound days where I was taught to hover around the target to the best of your abilities while squeezing the trigger on the release. Same applied to me today. No way I was holding steady on that small circle and the harder I tried the more I was moving around.

I shot a doe last year off hand at that distance but deer vitals are a lot easier target lol. I will definitely be trying this again sometime. It was fun! Thanks to the OP for starting this challenge!

·
Registered
656 Posts
for me nordic stance creates too much extra tension and i feel like front hand gets too close to keep it steady

maybe it could get better with practise, but i rather have my front hand front so to speak

several muscle weakness needs to get lots of improvement before i can go serious on freehand tho

·
Registered
707 Posts
Just realized, I don't have any of the WD40 caps around because the only kind of WD40 cans I buy are the ones with the "smart straw". Anyone know the actual diameter you guys are getting from the WD40 caps?

CD's / DVD's I have...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Just realized, I don't have any of the WD40 caps around because the only kind of WD40 cans I buy are the ones with the "smart straw". Anyone know the actual diameter you guys are getting from the WD40 caps?

CD's / DVD's I have...
The only WD40 can I had was a smart straw one 2. I traced the inside of a role of electric tape which mic'd at 1.24". Curious to see what size the actual cap is to see if I cheated or not. 😁

21 - 40 of 72 Posts