Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude!!!! Isn't that the deer's job!!??
馃 True... Little buggers aren't doing their job! 馃槼馃槫. Or!...there are no deer around! Better get some cameras up and check!!

Actually there is just so much food in the area they are not hitting this plot hard. They are in it but not keeping up. Later in the summer when the farmers get their hay made and fields are brown they will hit it hard. The clover in this plot stays pretty green late into the year. Going to seed a brassica plot in a month or so right smack in the middle of my woods. That should be a great late season spot and even a staging spot earlier in the season before the deer hit the neighbors corn fields. 馃憤 馃榿

Registered
Good old high protein clover. Depending on the year it often becomes a mainstay for the deer and turkeys before the acorns drop.

One of my favorite hunting areas is a long, sloping finger in a brohm hayfield. The years that the red clover gets a head start and is heavily mixed with the brohm are always banner seasons.

Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
I mowed my small cover plot for the 2nd time this year. Plot has been planted for 4 years and keeps coming back strong. Used my "brush hog" to mow it. Nothing slows that Kubota down! 馃槉

View attachment 199509

View attachment 199510
Was there anything you did to get it going so well ,?,,,,ive give up in my garden on grass and been over seeding each year with white dutch clover for the last three ,,,its been hit and miss were its taken ,,,,,,just wonder if there is a way to bring it on ,,,,,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I first put the plot in I limed the heck out of it to bring the PH up. Fertilized the first planting 4 years ago and other than mowing it when it goes to seed I have not touched it. Mow it probably 4 or 5 times a year. Once it gets a foot or so high I mow it down to about 6. The clover takes over and chokes most of the grass out. Been an extremely low maintenance plot. 馃槉

Registered
Axe Micro/Matrix Hybrid
Ok thanks ,,,,,,,so thats more then likely whats going on ive spots of high and low ph values ,,,,,,diddnt prep the dirt ,,,,have to do a ph test and figure on spreeding something to bring the ph up

Herd say that ticks dont hang out in clover coverage as much as tall grass / woodlands. ,,Any one figure thats a fact or B.S. ?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks ,,,,,,,so thats more then likely whats going on ive spots of high and low ph values ,,,,,,diddnt prep the dirt ,,,,have to do a ph test and figure on spreeding something to bring the ph up

Herd say that ticks dont hang out in clover coverage as much as tall grass / woodlands. ,,Any one figure thats a fact or B.S. ?
PH test...ha...thats for professionals lol. I just covered the area white. Put 1600 lbs on probably 1/8 acre. Area would not even grow weeds before.
Come to think of it I dont ever remember getting a tick walking thru clover so there may be something to that. I always seem to pick them up in high weeds like ragweed. All it seems to take is my hand brushing up against one and the little suckers are on my hand...until they hit my permethrin clothes then its night night ticks.

Registered
I mowed my small cover plot for the 2nd time this year. Plot has been planted for 4 years and keeps coming back strong. Used my "brush hog" to mow it. Nothing slows that Kubota down! 馃槉

View attachment 199509

View attachment 199510
Looks like a great plot!

Cutting is a common thing to do with healthy clover and it helps a bit with grass and broadleaf control as well. I cut in late April and plan to cut again this weekend.

This is a 3 year old plot fenced to keep the hogs out.

And when they don't behave I poke 'em in the eye with a sharp stick!

Registered
"And when they don't behave I poke 'em in the eye with a sharp stick!"

That sucker was a bit of a drama queen, wasn't it!???
I thought he was down for the count, but NO!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like a great plot!

Cutting is a common thing to do with healthy clover and it helps a bit with grass and broadleaf control as well. I cut in late April and plan to cut again this weekend.

This is a 3 year old plot fenced to keep the hogs out.
View attachment 199577
View attachment 199578

And when they don't behave I poke 'em in the eye with a sharp stick!
Thanks! That is some great looking clover you have there..as my buddy Swatman would say "it's luscious". 馃槅 Great video! I love watching ur hog videos, never know what might happen. Gotta agree with KTK about the drama queen thing...just give up the ghost buddy...ur done! 馃ぃ

Registered
Thanks! That is some great looking clover you have there..as my buddy Swatman would say "it's luscious". 馃槅 Great video! I love watching ur hog videos, never know what might happen. Gotta agree with KTK about the drama queen thing...just give up the ghost buddy...ur done! 馃ぃ
As you well know, it's a labor of love for this sport of hunting we all love.

Hope to keep the hog videos coming. I've got a different spot to try this weekend if the rain doesn't make it impossible.

Registered

View attachment 199509

View attachment 199510
Looks awesome man! That clover just doesn鈥檛 do anything for hunting down here. Oats and Rye seem to work best.

have probably 20-30 acres that come Up in clover annually...... corn and rice bran are king down here if you can keep the hogs off it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks awesome man! That clover just doesn鈥檛 do anything for hunting down here. Oats and Rye seem to work best.

have probably 20-30 acres that come Up in clover annually...... corn and rice bran are king down here if you can keep the hogs off it
Thank you sir. Mostly what it around me is hay fields (timothy, orchard grass and red clover) and corn. The problem with the corn is most of the time the farmers chop it right around the beginning of October...you know when archery starts lol. This leaves my nice green white clover plot as the most appetising thing around. At least at my house. On the family farm we tend to plant a food plot of brassicas and turnips in a field between a swamp and some pines. The deer hammer this pretty hard right into February. I am going to plant a small plot of this at my house soon in an area we cleared off this spring in the middle of my woods. I don't have a large deer herd around my house so smaller plots work well. We have tried planting Rye and the deer around here don't touch it. Just not used to it I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts