Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the facts are here.
On average... 1 bow blowing a limb each day.
I keep track because I am an Excal fan.

94% were Micro
6 percent were Matrix
73% were shooting factory bolt weights
15% were shooting between 400 and 450 grains
5% had ill machined risers
2% were over 2.5 grains per pound.
5% were undetermined.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Do you have a breakdown by which Micro models were blowing?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you have a breakdown by which Micro models were blowing?
I do not. I had no idea what I was starting until I saw a trend and decided to start tracking it.
The 335 was a train wreck but that was a milling issue and those issues subsided. I did note the years of production mentally but didnt track that either. Remember... This was jotting down notes...not attempting to dissect for a published book ;)
The 400+ Micro's were the horror stories in my mind. Especially the TD design itself..
The Micros as a whole were a daily posting pretty much but the 308?... nothing. Not one mention and as to memory...a lot of 308 owners were always chiming in. This particular bow may be the big exception but who knows. You have to go by total numbers to know that.

Matrix owners were the most likely to chime in with no issues and we all know how many matrix bows there are out there. Probably 10X the micro versions. Maybe double that. Food for thought...as I was tabulating and remembering back.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do not. I had no idea what I was starting until I saw a trend and decided to start tracking it.
The 335 was a train wreck but that was a milling issue and those issues subsided. I did note the years of production mentally but didnt track that either. Remember... This was jotting down notes...not attempting to dissect for a published book ;)
The 400+ Micro's were the horror stories in my mind. Especially the TD models.
The Micros as a whole were a daily posting pretty much but the 308?... nothing. Not one mention and as to memory...a lot of 308 owners were always chiming in. This particular bow may be the big exception but who knows. You have to go by total numbers to know that.

Matrix owners were the most likely to chime in with no issues and we all know how many matrix bows there are out there. Probably 10X the micro versions. Maybe double that. Food for thought...as I was tabulating and remembering back.
Just for clarity, what 400+ micro models are you referring to that aren't TD. There are only 2 micro models that are 400 and both are TD.

The Assassin 420TD which I've seen a fair amount of limb failures recently are Matrix platform.

Just asking for clarity.

Thanks for sharing the numbers. Nice seeing something objective on it, especially the arrow weights to show to Dan Wallace ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
not saying none have probs, but I have a matrix 380, micro 315, and an Axiom. the scope that came with the Axiom isn't working good. the other two have had scopes replaced. I am well pleased with Excalibur.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Interesting informations. After 500 shots with my AXE no issues with the limbs or something else. Arrows are higher weight than 400gn. Knock on wood, we‘ll see what it looks like after thousand or more.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I went back and re-read. I guess I really should have expanded on that. I will edit that, if I can.
What I meant to say was that the bows which were sticking out in my mind as most troublesome were the 400+fps bows (in terms of limb issues) and had the added eye catcher of problems with the TD design. What springs to mind is the the 400+ bows (when they failed) seemed to fail the fastest. If memory serves, within 1-3 days of owning for some.
I thought that was worth a mention, since it did seem to stick in my mind that this was not the norm with other models, which saw the same limb issues.

While the 420TD does not seem to represent a significant percentage of the series (as to ownership) that is perhaps the reason it stuck out in my mind.

Just for clarity, what 400+ micro models are you referring to that aren't TD. There are only 2 micro models that are 400 and both are TD.

The Assassin 420TD which I've seen a fair amount of limb failures recently are Matrix platform.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where were you finding the information?
Forums like this, Facebook and blind searches via google key words.
I dont know the percentage which came just from the U.S. & Canada but for sure, these two blocks made up the lions share of input/discussion.
Australia and Europe made up a modest part of the collection, with Australia certainly being the most active of these two.

·
1,553 Posts
Its only common sense. If a group of bows share the same limbs. The less stress you put on them the more durable they will be. Example the Matrix bows, a 330 will have less stress than a 380 because of the shorter rail.

Don't overlook stress from just being cocked.

Not knocking excals i have a BD 350/360 and love it. I had a 330 Matrix also loved it. The 380 matrix was a good bow but had problems after i sold it. The 405 was a mess.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can you be sure that one limb failure wasn't posted on several different forums. I am on a few forums and have seen one person post about a topic on three forums. Every time I hear about a limb problem I am glad I have a backup set for each bow. And a couple Exo bows just in case.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks for this post Lever. Nothing like data to enlighten the reader... I'm disappointed to read it too, as I like the idea of their Micro TD bows--both the narrowness of the limbs, and the TD feature. I do not own an Excal yet but have been thinking about their Micro series for a while now as my 2nd/backup bow.

·
Happy Member
5,537 Posts
Don't take stock in his stats.

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Reactions: vortex nation

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for this post Lever. Nothing like data to enlighten the reader... I'm disappointed to read it too, as I like the idea of their Micro TD bows--both the narrowness of the limbs, and the TD feature. I do not own an Excal yet but have been thinking about their Micro series for a while now as my 2nd/backup bow.
X2

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you be sure that one limb failure wasn't posted on several different forums. I am on a few forums and have seen one person post about a topic on three forums. Every time I hear about a limb problem I am glad I have a backup set for each bow. And a couple Exo bows just in case.
you make a VERY good point. in the first week, I did not do this.... so there certainly could be a skew of a few or even a dozen bows.
I did catch this fact very early one though and started asking questions, in an attempt to avoid this.
Trust me...
This was out of personal curiosity after awhile and I certainly did not suss out everything, I am sure. I am confident that my notes do have errors, such as.... was it dry fired? was there other outside influences.
That said....
Even with those variables, they cannot be the majority incidents that would/could turn the findings around in total or even partial.
too many examples to skew it that bad IMO.

Reactions: Oncebitten

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
That was one of the reasons I asked him where he is finding the reports. I often see a problem posted to the 3 forums I read daily by the same person who has 3 different screen names so it would be easy to think that you just located 3 problem bows instead of 1.
I am amazed how some folks can keep up with several different screen names on the forums. I use the same one everywhere I go on the web.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Over all the Matrix/BD models are very good. Micro's the 315 model was a very nice model to have

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
But you can drag them behind a pickup truck and they still shoot bullseyes.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So... Got some feed back today from Dawn at Excalibur.
Now hold on to your socks...Cause this is what was said....

Micro limbs are defective. All of them.
Me: I believe it is the riser, based on left side breaks.
No...the limbs are defective
Me: so why the out of tiller on the left all the time?
It's the limbs
Me: well you can put either limb on either side and it's always tiller positive left
It's the limbs.
Me: Well.. this has been going on for a few years now.
Yes....It's the limbs. We are working on it. We will send out new limbs to replace broken limbs.

Take that conversation for what it is worth.

Reactions: archer36 and retro
1 - 20 of 105 Posts