Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I broke an arrow and I think it broke on the bow at the shot. It didn't sound quite right. The arrow broke pretty cleanly about 5/8 inch in front of the vanes. It jammed the 3 inch back end about an inch forward into the front end, passed over my target at 40 yards and stuck into the stall mat backup about 20 feet beyond. I was lucky I didn't get hurt. About the only thing that makes sense is that I did not have the flat nock tight against the string. I am pretty OCD about things like that so, I am a little concerned there may be something else.

Second, I learned that a 3/4 inch thick stall mat is well and truly capable of stopping a crossbow arrow. Also, that once it stops the arrow it will not give it up easily. I had to remove the field point, screw in the T-handle arrow puller and put both feet against the mat and pull like hell to get the arrow out.

Third, I got the scope on the Matrix 380 calibrated and it's good now out to 50-60 yards. The arrow drop/distance travelled is pretty linear. Not at all sure why I do this because I have never shot one past 20 yards and don't see much likelihood I will take up shooting longer distances, but you never know, so I calibrate the bow. Just in case. Kind of like I always have the range finder with me and only use it to measure how far 20 yards is around the stand.

All that's left now is to make double sure the sight rail, the base and the rings are all solid and blue loctited. This is an unmodified Matrix so the screw holes will need to be countersunk and new stainless screws installed and then a final sight in and a thorough wringing out.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I had a similar experience with an arrow which was damaged by another arrow when shooting groups. The arrow appeared fine visually but it was obviously structurally damaged from the impact from another arrow. I was lucky it didn’t damage my bow or me when I fired it. I try to avoid shooting groups now.
Glad you and your bow were unhurt.

Reactions: heldfast

·
Registered
14,068 Posts
Sounds like yolu got lucky on that one. Inspect your arrows routinely. Safety first!;)

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't shot groups in at least ten years, and never with one of my crossbows.. I checked the arrows as I grabbed them for today's work. The arrow broke pretty cleanly perpendicular and the longitudinal splintering looks like it was all or almost all caused when the back portion of the arrow was jammed into the front section.

I think I am going to see if I can duplicate the failure, but with a string on the trigger and me a good distance behind the bow. Maybe I'll give Danny Miller a call first though. If someone has seen something Excal before he'd be the one to at least know about it.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Not sure how you have the backstop mat set up. But it would work better if it just hangs loose. That way the mat moves and absorbs some of the impact, and possibly the arrows just might bounce off, instead of penetrating.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Danny Miller today about the arrow I suspect broke on the bow. He confirmed what I suspected, that the arrow had moved forward some off the string and that's what broke the arrow.

The arrow retainer spring is what should hold it there, and if you have an unmodified Excal it can lighten that tension enough to create this problem. It's an easy fix, just get 4 8-32 x 3/8" flat head screws and replace the back 4 allen head pan head screw on the rail mount. Just be sure to countersink the screw holes a little and blue loctite the screws when you put the pan flat heads back in.

Fixing it prevents blowing up arrows on the rail so close to your face. That's a good thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts