Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It’s not lookin good there’s 2 hens now if they don’t come my way. I’d say it’s over. The hens look to be coming this way. But they were closer a little bit ago.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Been talking to a few lately from the deck at the lake, had one absolutely outraged that I wouldn't cross the channel to the North Lake to have fun with him. He was not about to fly across to see if I was worth it, but had a ball antagonizing him.

I called this guy in along with a Sandhill Crane that got wise and flew off first. This is between the Lake and the road between two marshes and a woods to the east, kinda cloudy so the colors are pretty tamed down. He had a buddy behind him that kept popping that periscope up over the crown of the hill checking for that noisy hen, but wouldn't join the other Tom. This bad boy got about 30 yards out and knew something wasn't right, but didn't want to give up in case she was willing, wherever she was. I don't eat the nasty things but shot this one with Canon, just to shoot him,,,, (y)

Good Luck Joe, he may not know it, but he's walk'n dead,,,, (y)

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well i had them coming slowly but headed my way. Then i noticed a hen to my right coming down the hill. The gobblers saw her and thought there's the hen and went toward her. She turned into 2 hens and they feed away taking the gobblers with them. Then they came back to 45 yds then went around the hill below me out of sight. The Gobblers headed after them then turned and went the other way. After they got out of sight still not very far they gobbled again. I called lightly they gobbled but never came any closer. I'm just about convinced they saw that hen decoy and it spooked them. She aint going no more for awhile.

Any way great hunt full of excitement that's hunting for you. Main thing is i did no harm. I do need to move my blind 15 yds down the hill. If i had that this morning I would have killed that bird.

I'll be back in the morning.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well i had them coming slowly but headed my way. Then i noticed a hen to my right coming down the hill. The gobblers saw her and thought there's the hen and went toward her. She turned into 2 hens and they feed away taking the gobblers with them. Then they came back to 45 yds then went around the hill below me out of sight. The Gobblers headed after them then turned and went the other way. After they got out of sight still not very far they gobbled again. I called lightly they gobbled but never came any closer. I'm just about convinced they saw that hen decoy and it spooked them. She aint going no more for awhile.

Any way great hunt full of excitement that's hunting for you. Main thing is i did no harm. I do need to move my blind 15 yds down the hill. If i had that this morning I would have killed that bird.

I'll be back in the morning.
Sounds like a great first morning. That is what it is all about. Good luck tomorrow!

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Opening morning in Ohio. It’s 7:11 and nothing. No Turkey sounds no shooting just nothing. Some Geese flew over at the crack of day light honking. No gobble train went by a few miles away blowing it’s horn no Gobble. I’m calling every 20 mins or so and have used 3 different calls. And I got my best foot forward with my decoys. I think I have been cursed lol.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ah man... Rough start! My opener is next Saturday. Pretty bummed because I have been looking forward to taking my Swat out all winter and last week the serving on one of my cables got cut some how and is unraveling. Marty is making me a new set so I can get them swapped out but I dont think I will make the opener with it. Sucks not having a bow press. That will be my next purchase! I guess I will be taking out my daughters Barnett Whitetail hunter 2 😁.
Wishing u the best of luck rt2! Your season will turn around soon I think.

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks guys I’ve been down this path before lol. Some say Turkey hunting is easy. I could have killed 15 deer I bet. I heard something chewing about a hour ago. Eased open a side window and it was a deer lol.
I hate that about your bow One. Hope you get it squared away. And good luck to everyone.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts