Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks guys I’ve been down this path before lol. Some say Turkey hunting is easy. I could have killed 15 deer I bet. I heard something chewing about a hour ago. Eased open a side window and it was a deer lol.
I hate that about your bow One. Hope you get it squared away. And good luck to everyone.
Thanks man. It will work out one way or another lol.
It amazed me how close deer will get this time of year. I had a doe literally lick the green fiber optic on the end of my shotgun once. I was sitting against a tree in a ghilli suit. That deer came unglued when I started laughing. 🤣🤣🤣

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
A deer told on them lol. I didn't go till 8:30 this morning i was in the blind 8:50. Nothing but deer and squirrels again. I called every 15 mins just a few yelps wait a min or so then 3 more yelps and put the call up. As the morning drug on lol. I got out my louder call and imo the best sounding call. I had called twice when this doe in front of me started looking down the hollow like she was watching something. Sure enough here comes a gobblers bright red head followed by another gobbler. I got squared up to kill one when i noticed they wasn't a Jake IMO so i worried they wouldn't have a jake fan. Nore was they a nice gobbler either there beards looked to be 4 or 5" one slightly longer. The gun was cocked and on there heads. But i let the hammer down and let them walk. Don't know where they went i could hear them walking on the back side of the blind for aways.

I might feel differently tomorrow or if they show me a jake tail. Amounts to they didn't flip the kill switch.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
I have rarely seen a gobbler over the years with a 5" or shorter beard that was not a Jake. Did they by any chance go into strut to show you their fans?

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have rarely seen a gobbler over the years with a 5" or shorter beard that was not a Jake. Did they by any chance go into strut to show you their fans?
Nope they just slipped in. I did get them to cluck a time or two but they was behind me and out of sight by then.

They might have been a perfect Jake fan for a decoy. IDK probably should have shot.

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
These Gobblers are handing me my Butt. Seems like i just never get a break. They will only come so close then turn and leave. I called one back 3 times yesterday morning. He would only come so far then turn and go back. No clue why. By the way the first gobbler i have heard in a week.

And i haven't heard a shot since the first day and they were way off. Places that there were always gobblers nothing. My last set up on a high knob where i was calling 100's of acres for 3 days. And called the above gobbler and was the only one i heard. Plus seeing the 2 jakes.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hang in there man. Your time will come. At least you are getting some action. It will come together soon. 🤞
My season starts Saturday. I won't be on the trigger but I'll be doing the guiding and calling for my buddy and my daughters boy friend. Will be the BF's first time hunting turkeys. Pretty excited. 😁

·
Registered
R10,furious 370
43 Posts
These Gobblers are handing me my Butt. Seems like i just never get a break. They will only come so close then turn and leave. I called one back 3 times yesterday morning. He would only come so far then turn and go back. No clue why. By the way the first gobbler i have heard in a week.

And i haven't heard a shot since the first day and they were way off. Places that there were always gobblers nothing. My last set up on a high knob where i was calling 100's of acres for 3 days. And called the above gobbler and was the only one i heard. Plus seeing the 2 jakes.
Same thing in my woods the gobblers seam to have disappeared

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hang in there man. Your time will come. At least you are getting some action. It will come together soon. 🤞
My season starts Saturday. I won't be on the trigger but I'll be doing the guiding and calling for my buddy and my daughters boy friend. Will be the BF's first time hunting turkeys. Pretty excited. 😁
I'll try lol.
I wish you a tons more luck than i have had.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I ended up shooting a jake today, shotgun kill. He was with 3 others. Finally a good day to hunt here.
They were finally gobbling decently today, i was watching 5 doe today also, pretty entertaining day.
Good luck guys

·
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Congrats On the Gobbler. Still carrying a empty bucket here. Went yesterday well about everyday since season came in. I might have missed 2 or 3 days. Its like there just aint any birds in my hunting. I have yet to hear my first hen and no shots close. What's strange is no gobblers where they always were in years past. I just sat there yesterday until 7:30 and never heard a bird anywhere.

Heck with just setting there waiting on one to stumble by lol.

·
Registered
449 Posts
RT, if you don't end up scoring on a turkey let me know. I took the fan off the jake, and you can have it for your decoy if you want?

Reactions: Oncebitten
41 - 59 of 59 Posts